Cleaning/painting under the hood of MeanGrn *update* spraying right now

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
Well i got the paint today. I am going to paint my intake aluminum w/ the polished plate and green lettering. The valve covers will be green and the brackets etc will be aluminum also. Plan on getting polished radiator hoses, radiator cover and some ceramic coated headers to get rid of the rusted shitty flowtechs that are on it o and i almost forgot a couple of solenoids, braided hose and a nozzle :naughty:. Ill have the gaskets and other little shit tomorrow so i will be ready to tear it apart and paint. I dont know if i will wait till the weekend or i might start tomorrow night cuz i have to work this weekend. Maybe ill just do the valve covers or something, we will see. I will be sure to post pics because i think it is going to look awesome.

Here is the before pic

IMG_0491.jpg

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
Re: Cleaning/painting under the hood of MeanGrn

where did you get the paint from?

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score

got it through napa. I got the hunter/racing green so you will be able to see what it looks like. I think it will look good. :)

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score

got the gaskets etc today so i have everything i need. Now i just need the time to do it. I want to do it this weekend but it is supposed to be rainy so that means humidity which means not good weather for painting :mad: . Id post pics but all i can take pics of is cans of paint and other supplies and who wants to see that shit lol hopefully ill get er done this weekend O0

94darkhorse

Legend
Reaction score

Sweet, Can't wait to see the finished project.

94twinscrew

Reaction score

cant wait to see it.....GET TO WORK MAN :slap: :rollinglaugh:

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score

Well i think im gonna go tear everything apart and get it ready today. It is still rainy/shitty out and the humidity is like 90 probably so i dont think i should paint anything but i may get it ready and saturday or sunday maybe catch a decent day to paint it. Im just itching to tear it apart and get it painted plus i want to see if there are any problems i need to address before spraying it :naughty:

badass98svt

Reaction score

Subscring.
I'm going to be doing something similar. Except powdercoat.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

can't wait to see how this turns out.. good luck man, ill be watching for updates.

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score

Well its all tore apart. I was hesitating a little after realizing all the shit on the lower intake and i didnt have any of the fuel disconnect tools so i was gonna just take off the upper and not worry about the lower. But then i said fuck it i aint gonna half ass it im gonna tear everything apart lol. I found out you can just pop off the injectors and leave the rails on the car so that is what i did.

So everything was going smoothly (too smoothly) and i was taking the lower manifold bolts off the passenger when i realize for some reason the front and the back bolts had a lot of crap caked on them (looked like burnt oil or something) but all the ones in between just had a little motor oil and looked perfectly fine. I dunno wtf it is i dont think its a sealer or anything but it made it a bitch to get them out. So then i went to the driver side. I started in the back and worked my way to the front. I got to the front bolt and i figured it would be caked in there like the others and i go to unbolt it using a small 3/8 ratchet and then i hear a *snap* and i knew what happened instantly and started cussing. :rant: The damn bolt broke off. So then i started praying that there was a good amount sticking above the block. So i got the manifold off and then started cussing again. Just part of the one side has a bolt above the block so vice grips etc aint gonna take it out. I dunno what im gonna do. Might get some left handed drill bits/ easy outs or something tomorrow. its a fairly small bolt so i am hoping it comes out easy (hicks and all you other religious guys pray for me plz :) )

I ordered arp valve cover studs so i have them but i didnt even think of manifold bolts :comando: . Tomorrow ill have to go to napa, ford etc and see if i can find what i need. i also need a couple gaskets for between the upper and lower and pvc valve and screen too. So tomorrow hopefully someone will have everything i need in stock and hopefully ill get that bolt out easily. :noes:

I have some pics of it tore apart ill post them up after i eat in an hour or so. Inside the manifold is full of shit so ill have to clean that out and i also found a little suprise on the passenger side valve cover. They left a 1/4 socket on the bolt :rollinglaugh: . I dunno why, if it was just stuck and they forgot about it or what. I didnt take it off yet because i just left the passenger side on until i am ready to pull it to paint it. I got a lot of cleaning to do in the upper and lower intake that is for sure (you will see the pics). The drivers side head looked good though so i was happy about that. The rockers are stock so maybe it doesnt have a cam after all :dunno:

94twinscrew

Reaction score

You must of cursed yourself when you started to think that it was going so smooth.lol That sucks man,been there before :comando: You should be able to get it out,make sure to spray some PB blaster on it overnight so it can eat away at it. Take your time with easy out bits....too fast,and it will be worthless.

GET SOME PICS OF THIS BIATCH!!!!

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score

ya i already hit it with some pb blaster. That stuff is great and i have always had great luck with it before so hopefully it will come through again. I am going to try a left handed/reversible bit first if i can find one and then easy out if need be. They manifold bolts aint torqued down so it should come out easy. im trying to get the pics up but i have to find the damn usb cable first

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score

Sounds like you've got a nice project going on. Keep us updated! :)

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score

should make for a nice detail touch

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score

ok i found the cable finally so here are the pics

"stage 1" got the upper off the lower
IMG_0492.jpg

"stage 2" upper and lower off

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

Here is what the lower looks like. See all that carbon/oil/shit built up in the intake? I am going to get a shitload of carb cleaner and a brush and go to town on the upper and lower tomorrow. Actually the first pic shows the shit much better.

IMG_0495.jpg

Upper intake

IMG_0496.jpg

Here are the bolts. You can see the rusted upper bolt that i am wondering why it is like that and then pics of a good lower manifold bold, a crusted up one and the top of the one that busted off. If it broke a 1/4 inch higher it would come out much easier :mad:

IMG_0498.jpg

Here is the paint supplies

IMG_0497.jpg

tomorrow will be mostly fixing problems, finding parts and cleaning up the inside of the upper and lower intake. It wil pry be too humid to paint but sunday looks good weather wise.

I think with everything painted the engine bay will be show quality. Now if all the scratches/chips in the paint were fixed it would be show ready. Maybe im just anal about it though, i may put it in a local show we will see. O and the bolt isnt broken off in the block its in the head. So if i cant get it out i guess ill just have to get some afr 165's ;)

To get an idea of what i am doing look @ the upper. The main part will be aluminum along with the accesory brakets(if i get around to taking them off) . The plate will be polished and the lettering will be the "racing green" along with the valve covers. It should look amazing. Also planning for a polished radiator hose and radiator cover also. And then i will add a couple nozzles and solenoids to finish it off :naughty:

Ill be sure to keep ya guys posted of the progress O0

94twinscrew

Reaction score

I'm willing to bet that you had a small lower gasket leak by the looks of it.....probably from electrolisis from the antifreeze,that's why the bolts were so corroded. You can also see the oxidation in the lifter valley from moisture. Did you use tap water in your radiator,or distilled?

97vertstang

Reaction score

watching this thread makes me want to take my engine aparta and start painting everything. yet again, i have bad luck with bolt and crap breaking on the way :-\

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

hey heres a quick chop..

IMG_0496.jpg

im out, going to the girlfriends house.. hope you like. i may try and get the silver to look more "polished" when i get home either tonight or tomorrow.. enjoy! :)

97vertstang

Reaction score

just wondering wont it heat up the intake by painting it????? :dunno: if theres no negative effects ima paint my intake and valve covers shiny ass black.

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score

i dunno if it was tap water or distilled. If i was a betting man it was probably just tap water. I guess ill be changing it and using distilled.

If you think you can do it then go ahead and give her hell. There isnt too much you could mess up that wouldnt be fixable and it really adds a nice touch i think. I almost didnt want to take off the lower but i finally just said fuck it and did it. i only broke one bolt in the head so that aint too bad i guess ;D
thanks for the chop trey. Actually the main part of the intake will be aluminum not green but thanks for the green chop, it makes me think about doing like that but i think it would be too much green but the green lettering will definately look great and the valve covers will be the green too so it should be just right hopefully. O0

I doubt it will make a huge difference painting it. I say go for it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.