Cleaning your MAF

Reaction score
If your car is having a hard time ideing, or your car falls flat on its face during the powerband, but then picks up once you shift. You may have a dirty MAF. Cleaning the MAF will net you better MPG, power, and overall smoothness throughout the powerband.

1) Cleaning a MAF

First off you may be asking, what is a MAF? The MAF stands for Mass Airflow Sensor. The MAF is the sensor that tells the ECM (engine computer) how much air is entering the engine at any give time. The computer then in turn uses that info to calculate the air/fuel ratio, and timing tables.
So it obviously stands to reason that a MAF sensor that isn't properly working would definitely make your idle rough. The fact is that not only will it make your idle rough but it could cause a whole other list of problems including bad fuel mileage, and lack of power.

As the air flows through the sensor some air flows through a sampling tube with a heated element in it. This element (aka "wire") is cooled by the air and the computer reads how much voltage it takes to keep it at temp which in turn tells it how much air is entering the engine.
The problem arises when that wire gets dirt and (mostly) excess K&N air filter oil on it. This causes an error in the voltage reading and the computer sets the wrong air/fuel ratio tables for the type of driving you are doing. The only thing to do when this happens is to clean the wire!

What is needed?
- This is kind of hard to say for sure because it all depends on the year/model you have. Usually its nothing more than a screwdriver to remove a clamp or two and something to remove a few bolts that hold the MAF in place. No matter which year you own you will need a security torx bit 20 to get the sensor off of the actual MAF tube.

How to do it

First off remove the negative battery cable. WARNING: Always remove the negative battery cable first and put it back last.
Since removing the MAF sensor varies depending on the year of Mustang you own you'll basically need to figure out how to remove it yourself...LOL
Once you have it out of the car it will look something like picture 3 unless you have a modular car then it probably has a black plastic MAF.
Take the sensor off of the tube by removing the two torx screws

Now take some electrical parts cleaner (local autozone, kragen or pepboys). And lightly spray the wires, being careful not to bend the wires as this could disrupt the reading that goes to the CPU for a accurate Air/Fuel. Wait about 5min or so, and spray again. Wait another 5min or so and instal in the reverse steps.

Hope this helps anyone.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know via PM'ing

N

nckissfan

there is a specific MAF Sensor Cleaner made by CRC. It works great. It is around $6 a can.

ryclef331

Reaction score
nckissfan said:
there is a specific MAF Sensor Cleaner made by CRC. It works great. It is around $6 a can.

rubbing alcohol and a q-tip...then I'll take my $6 and buy some beer.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Depends how much beer, I drink to get drunk. No pussy fruity drinks for me :banana:

G

GREG@SN95

what if you have a map sensor?

huh...

what the fuck do ya do then?

lol

ryclef331

Reaction score
Midnight_Cobra said:
Depends how much beer, I drink to get drunk. No pussy fruity drinks for me :banana:

I said SOME I should have said some MORE... :drunk:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online