Click sound when turning

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
I know this might be kinda vague but I hear a single clock from the front end it seems when I'm turning. Can only audibly hear it when I'm going slow like around 5-10mph. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
probably the ball joints. Get the wheels off the ground and try shaking the tire/wheel and see if it makes the noise.

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
So I jacked her up and both tires were really solid no noise and the ball joints seem ok except one side has a little tear in the boot. On that side it seems that when I turn the wheel all the way one direction them turn it back really quick there seems to be a little click coming from the rack and pinion, kinda seems like I hear it from under the rubber cover. Does that make sense? It doesn't seem to do it all the time only when I turn it real quick after being fully extended.

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
There more I read the more I think it has to do with the rack and pinion. I thought it was because the front tires are so wide but every once in awhile the car will jerk slightly to one side when driving on the highway.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Might be worth pulling the rubber covers and checking the inner tie rod ends.

Werecow

Reaction score
Really stupid question.... But it wouldn't be the canceler for your turn signal clicking in the steering column would it??

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
Really stupid question.... But it wouldn't be the canceler for your turn signal clicking in the steering column would it??
Interesting theory, how would I troubleshoot this? Have someone in the car with there rear to the steering wheel?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If the sound is coming from the front end look at the tie rod ends. They look worn on the threads possibly of the eye ring will be out of shape. Good chance your rack bushings are shot. The sound is the rack moving back and forth when your turning the wheel lock to lock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
Might be a dimb question but should I be able to turn the wheel all the way both ways with the car off?

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
If the sound is coming from the front end look at the tie rod ends. They look worn on the threads possibly of the eye ring will be out of shape. Good chance your rack bushings are shot. The sound is the rack moving back and forth when your turning the wheel lock to lock

Are replacing the rack bushings a big deal to replace. Seems like the rack and pinion is not that old

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Also you might want to check your wheel bearing , with a tire that size it could put more pressure on it while turning

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
Also you might want to check your wheel bearing , with a tire that size it could put more pressure on it while turning
I can't quite tell but it seems to almost be hitting the lower controller arm when turned all the way

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I can't quite tell but it seems to almost be hitting the lower controller arm when turned all the way

When turning the steering wheel from left to right dose the rack seem to travel more to the left or right the center of the rack could be off
By just a hair witch is a lot in the steering and it could cause it hitting something
But to see it car has to be on ground
The suspension would be under pressure
In the air it is not
You would need a 4 post car lift to see it
Check that rack it sounds like these guys might have hit it on head
And ball joints will do the same thing

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As rau03mach said, get it on a 4 post. Run it by a tire shop and they can put it on an alignment rack for just a quick minute and you can turn the wheels. I bet the problem will easily show itself. Probably won’t cost you much of anything for the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online