Clicking noise when turning the steering wheel

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
My new edge has developed a strange clicking noise when you turn the steering wheel. It does it when at a stand still with engine on or off. If I wiggle the steering wheel you can hear a big click when changing if from one direction to the other. Any ideas what has gone wrong?

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Check the steering shaft and make sure it's not hitting

Could also be the clock spring in the wheel. Is it coming from inside our outside of the car?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Silver95bird

Reaction score
see if the tie rod ends need a little grease as well.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
It’s coming from the engine side. Just noticed that my rack has a slight side to side movement would this explan the inch or so play with the steering wheel ?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You can replace your steering rack bushings with new rubber ones.

If you want a 100% solution, you can get Maximum Motorsports solid bushings, but they do require the ability to trim the crush-sleeves inside the k-member.

I doubt this is your clicking sound. If you can hear it from inside the car, as mentioned before it may be the clock spring inside the steering wheel.

If you hear it outside the car, the rubber vibration absorber in the steering shaft may have rotted out and has created play. A new OEM will have this rubber absorber in the assembly to reduce noise and vibration. A 100% fix would be the Maximum Motorsports solid steering shaft.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
these kinds of issues are a million times easier if you have a helper to rock the steering wheel while you check each interface of parts throughout the system. column to shaft, rag joint, shaft to rack, rack bushings, inner tie rod sockets, tie rod ends.
Also check the condition of the control arm bushings, the ball joints, the sway bar mounting bushings, and the endlinks.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Hi all the clicking sound is definitely coming from the rack. I think it’s coming from the left hand tie rod as it enters the rack

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online