Clueless about engine running lean

V6_

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2002 Ford mustang V6. It has almost no power (Even for a v6 lol) and the check engine light is on. The OBD2 says that it's codes P0171 and P0113. I think that my IAT sensor is not functioning but I don't really know what I'm doing. I only know basics about cars and could really use the help. If anyone has had this issue before or knows what I could do to fix this that would be awesome. I'm hoping to turn this car into a daily driver. All replies are appreciated, Thanks!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
why do you suspect the AIT? It could be as simple as needing to clean the maf, or new o2 sensors. Stock exhaust?

OP
OP
V

V6_

Reaction score
Yep, stock exhaust. And I say it's the IAT because P0113 means that there's a high input into the sensor. Not quite sure though. I already tried cleaning the MAF and using a multimeter to check the voltage, seemed pretty good.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
I can't imagine an IAT sensor being more than a few bucks. If its reading faulty it can cause power issues. As for the lean code I'd swap O2 sensors side to side and see if the code follows.

OP
OP
V

V6_

Reaction score
I can't imagine an IAT sensor being more than a few bucks. If its reading faulty it can cause power issues. As for the lean code I'd swap O2 sensors side to side and see if the code follows.

Alright! I'll look into replacing the O2 sensors and IAT. If it doesn't work I'll follow up. Thanks!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not sure if its just a typo or if you just want to replace them but what he suggested on the O2 sensors is to take the ones in there now, remove and swap them. If one is bad the error code will switch sides and then you know to replace. Otherwise it may not be the O2's but that is the place to start.

OP
OP
V

V6_

Reaction score
not sure if its just a typo or if you just want to replace them but what he suggested on the O2 sensors is to take the ones in there now, remove and swap them. If one is bad the error code will switch sides and then you know to replace. Otherwise it may not be the O2's but that is the place to start.

Oh duh, I misunderstood. The O2 sensors are on the exhaust manifolds, right? Or is it intake?

lutter94

Reaction score
How much are o2 sensors where you would swap side to side before just replacing them?!?

01yellercobra

Reaction score
How much are o2 sensors where you would swap side to side before just replacing them?!?
It's a matter of not throwing parts at the problem and hoping it goes away. If he swaps them and the code stays the same then buying new sensors would have been a waste of money. Figure out the problem before swapping parts. What happens if you get a bad part from the store? It's been known to happen.

OP
OP
V

V6_

Reaction score
It's a matter of not throwing parts at the problem and hoping it goes away. If he swaps them and the code stays the same then buying new sensors would have been a waste of money. Figure out the problem before swapping parts. What happens if you get a bad part from the store? It's been known to happen.

So just a follow up, I replaced the MAF sensor and cleared the engine codes and it's running like a dream noe. Gonna buy my cold air intake now. Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Staff online