Clunk on startup

07GtS197

Reaction score
So Ive been having this clunk now (among other random noises lol) that I cant recreate for the life of me. Itll happen on startup and while going over a sharp bump, most of the time. It sounds like its coming from the front passenger side somewhere but I cant tell if something is hitting the firewall/floorpan or if its front suspension. It also happened once while pulling into a spot at advance. I was turning to the left slowly in first and it clunked 4 times then stopped. It seems like lugging the engine can also bring it on. Nothing is physically loose and I cant recreate it by tapping anything or pushing on the passenger fender. Ive been told its common for the starter bolts to back out so Im thinking that could be it but there arent any abnormal sounds on startup, other than the clunk, so Im at a loss. Anyone have any ideas?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Have you gotten under to check the starter bolts? Also, motor mounts and trans mount are good? What about the strut nut. Make sure your lugs are all tight, as well as everything on the spindles.

Albeit what you're describing sounds more mechanical in nature, it could be something stupid.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I havent had the chance to get under it yet but I agree it does sound mechanical. Its so damn hard to pinpoint and impossible to recreate.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I had a buddy of mine ride with me and he thinks its a strut mount I think he said. Yay.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I still havent been able to swap them out but yea hes confident its the strut mount bushing on the side thats making noises.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
When I jacked the car up to change the brake pads I noticed that the passenger side sway bar bushing had a little gap. Like there was a gap between the sway bar and the bushing. Im thinking it could be the problem but Im not certain.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
It pulls straight but there is a looseness in the wheel. I can be sitting at a light and turn the wheel about an inch or so in either direction before it does anything. If I look at the tires they will move slightly though. And, at a stop, if I were to have the wheel straight, then start turning it one way or the other I can feel something like a loose suspension part tightening up. Like all its slack runs out and it starts moving with the suspension again. If it makes a difference Im lowered on steeda sports with no other suspension mods.

Im doubting its the strut mount bushings now. I cant recreate the sound by shaking the car and sometimes while going over bumps when I want it to make a sound it wont lol.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
It pulls straight but there is a looseness in the wheel. I can be sitting at a light and turn the wheel about an inch or so in either direction before it does anything. If I look at the tires they will move slightly though. And, at a stop, if I were to have the wheel straight, then start turning it one way or the other I can feel something like a loose suspension part tightening up. Like all its slack runs out and it starts moving with the suspension again. If it makes a difference Im lowered on steeda sports with no other suspension mods.

Im doubting its the strut mount bushings now. I cant recreate the sound by shaking the car and sometimes while going over bumps when I want it to make a sound it wont lol.

Whoah dude thats loose. I dont know what backlash these cars came with from factory, and yea i know its not factory anymore but an inch of play either way is alot. Thats like an 1/8 turn right? Still sounds excessive. Id go over every part of this, swaybar bushings, endlinks, tierods, steering shaft, steering shaft bushings, ball joints, even your strut mounts. Maybe im miss understanding i hope i am lol.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I can take a video later, Im unsure now since its been sitting for a while but theres a good amount of play in the wheel. I checked the ball joints and outer tie rods and those are all good. I need to have someone else in the car turning the wheel while I watch. Like I said Ill get a video later to show how it drives.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
I can take a video later, Im unsure now since its been sitting for a while but theres a good amount of play in the wheel. I checked the ball joints and outer tie rods and those are all good. I need to have someone else in the car turning the wheel while I watch. Like I said Ill get a video later to show how it drives.

Cool, how far are you from orlando? g36 monkey is local there somewhere. If he has time im sure hed help diagnose it.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Im about 3.5 hours away... Ill get a video up tomorrow for a better idea of whats going on.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Hell yea lol. My fiance and I go up to orlando every march but I just missed it. Only if it was doing it when I was there this year, and I had my car lol.

Heres the video I took
https://youtu.be/5k3Y4rv2Bdo

dont mind my nasally commentary lol. Its not easy to hear but the best example is when I pulled out of my driveway and was about to start driving again. And you can see how bad the steering is lol.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Anyway, back to the car. Start from what you know is bad, sway bar bushings, check your tie rods, ball joints, sway bar end links, strut bushings. The loose wheel could be, shaft bushings, rack bushings, or tierods. Sounds like a lot but doesnt take long to check each one.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Ive checked a lot of that already. The tie rods, end links and ball joints are all good. The strut bushings look good and I cant recreate the sound by bouncing the car. The rack bushings are new and there is no movement at all. I have another steering shaft Im going to install but I dont think itll do much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online