Clunk on startup

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Can they? I tried googling about bad sway bar bushings but all that comes up are bad end links. Im about to order a set right now to see if theyll at least help. Im thinking of getting poly bushings but if thats not the problem they Ill have a clunk and a squeak lol. Im sure theyre at least part of my problem anyway. I have new end links in my garage, if anything I can swap them on for shits and giggles.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You can go to the auto parts store and get the off the shelf sway bar poly bushings so you're not trying to drop big dough on some "performance" brand. They work just fine. I noticed a big difference when I did them, albeit I was like 16 and I knew $20 would make the car a race car :)

Englishbully

Reaction score
I am watching this thread because my car is clunking(almost like a single or double thud) on start up by or near the floorboard under my feet? .so I am hoping to find some answer here.i am almost thinking motor mounts but I can only duplicate the clunk sound on start up or sometimes over sharp edge bumps.i just don't see how sway bar bushings would cause that sound when starting the car.maybee I'm wrong but please post the results after u install the bushings.i am very interested on it findings.thanks

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Mine makes the same sound on pretty much the same circumstances actually but it seems like its coming from the passenger side engine compartment or wheel area. Ill go pick up a set of bushings tomorrow. I noticed a few things, the sway bar moves a good bit while bouncing the car, the passenger fender liner is loose and the front bumper push thing that attaches it to the radiator support is missing. The bumper and fender liner make sounds when moving them so one of those could actually be it.

On a side note, I got another steering shaft a few months ago and I go to install it today and my steering is worse! This is the second one I got from this guy on ebay. The first one was too short and the telescoping portion wouldnt budge so I had to fight the seller to send me another one. I got the second one and this one is the correct length but it has so much slack in it. Man I thought ok Ill have one more thing down but no. Is a cobra unit a good upgrade? Id rather not get a solid one right now because of how expensive they are.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Im not too sure, but i think the cobra and gt steering shafts are the same. Sucks about the ebay shaft, gotta be careful with that stuff. Anyway back to the clunking, youre getting most of the noise, backing out of your driveway and over bumps and sometimes on start up right? At startup the motor flexs everything up there, then settles out. I still think its a suspension or motor mount issue. Im saying you know the swaybar bushings are bad. Change them to take that out of the equation. They do cause clunking though. Keep hoing down the line. Maybe youll get lucky and your issue is the bushings.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
The guy I bought it from has great reviews but I guess steering shafts are just one thing he doesnt really check oh well.

As for the bushings Im going to get them later on today and Ill get them installed tomorrow probably. Its no fun trying to work on your car on the hot asphalt in the hot florida summer and dodge rain and lightning lol. While the suspension was loaded I took a rubber mallet to everything but nothing make a peep except for the struts but they both did it. They made a metal on metal sound. Is that normal? Ill see if I can test the motor mounts later, Ive been suspecting them for a while but I never got around to checking them.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Where exactly I couldnt say, I tapped it close to the top of the rim. Both of them made noises though so Im second guessing them being bad. My car does have lowering springs so it is possible that the strut bushings took a lot of abuse because the suspension geometry isnt right anymore.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I havent been able to work on the car because its been raining, Im broke and the steering shaft is loose and I dont want the lower half to slip out while driving. I got a cheap set of poly bushings off ebay so Ill try those but I think that the sound might be coming from somewhere else. I noticed both the bumper and the passenger side fender liner rattle a lot. Im wondering if thats all it is. Now the steering is still all jacked up but I should have one issue down. Now the hunt is on for another steering shaft...

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Ill try to help as much as i can lol. Its hard without having my hands on it....if you reach in can you move the front springs around? Even a little? Ive been thinking more about this....once you get your sway bar bushings changed, id swap your old steering shaft back lol if youre uncomfortable driving it with the one thats in it....in it thats no good. Or hit the salvage yard. Second thought they really arent that hard to rebuild. Bushings, and u joints mostly. Might be able to find a rebuild kit pretty easy.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I appreciate the help, Ill get my hands on it tomorrow and report back. Ill definitely need a new steering shaft even the old one comes apart. I might be able to get it to work but I dont feel safe driving the car that way.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Ok so I checked the springs, neither of them moved at all. I pulled the steering shaft but I noticed something, its outside diameter is smaller than the hole in the firewall it goes through. Thats why there was so much play in it. I havent installed the stock one yet but Ill do that probably today. The bushings are coming at a snails pace so its going to be a few days before I get them.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Me too :( Did you take a look at the video? I took another look myself and noticed how much it moves without my touching the steering wheel. Im driving down my street not touching the wheel, it goes straight (mind you the wheel is pointed to the right a little) then it starts pulling to the right and then to the left even though I didnt touch the wheel and its still pointing slightly to the right. The position of the wheel doesnt change but the direction of the car does. I was thinking maybe its tramlining but now I dont think so because the wheel would turn too. Its like there is a disconnect from the steering wheel to the tires. Like I said before Ive checked the tie rods and ball joints for play but nothing. It has to either be the sway bar bushings of the steering shaft itself.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I could only get to the front ones due to time constraints and not having a slide hammer. I did do a before and after video and just the fronts tightened the rack up. I reinstalled the stock steering shaft but I noticed the firewall bearing must be worn because the stock shaft is a little loose too. I then held the steering wheel and moved the shaft and it moved a lot. Thats where my play is. And Im able to push the shaft, minus the top part that bolts to the upper steering column, out the firewall. Neither of the other shafts can come apart but one has play in the joint and all the sliding parts and the other is solid but the joint is notchy (feels like it would bind when steering) and it wont extend all the way so its about an inch too short. What a pain. Im going to buy another one and once I recieve it if its sloppy too or comes apart Ill send it back. Im talking to a seller on ebay but you can tell hes just pulling answers out of his ass.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I just got the bushing a few hours ago, Ill install them tomorrow. I wish I had the money of else Id just get that one. Buying a stock steering shaft is like playing russian roulette. I have my stocker and two pieces of crap other ones. One I might be able to get it to work if I indtall the firewall bearing with it but I think itll still move around a lot. The other two dont move that freely, other than the top portion of my stock one, but this one the all three telescoping portions move. Even the lower part that is attached to that joint has play in it. Im afraid itll rattle, have slop in it and maybe even bind if it moves to just the right spot while driving.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Theres a stock shaft on ebay for 60 bucks I think Ill snag. The worst thing that can happen is that its crap and Ill have to send it back. Ive tried to tighten up my stock shaft to no avail. The upper portion can slide into the lower portion no problem but I do feel a slight dragging when seperating. The upper shaft has a slight bulge in it towards the bottom that keeps it from seperating completely. Ive tried taking a hammer and a rubber mallet and brick (lol) to it but I cant get the metal to crimp back into shape at all. What the hell is this thing made of titanium?!?! I tried a screwdriver in one of the low spots to pinch it tighter but that didnt work either. Any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online