Clunk on startup

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I tried a c clamp already. Ill see if I can bring it to my buddys shop. They have a press but Im a little leary of using one. The tip just needs to be crimped maybe a milimeter or two. It just needs to be tight enough to prevent the upper portion from sliding out all the way.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
So I cant get to the nuts that hold the sway bar to the chassis because a deep socket hits the bracket that goes around the bushing and a shallow socket is too shallow to reach the nut because the stud is long. Ill get to it when I can along with the outer tie rods and stabilizer bar end links. While tapping around the front bumper I noticed it rattled on the passenger side but not the drivers side. I think its the fenderwell liner thats moving around. It sounds stupid but it make a clacking sound when giving it a small smack.

On a side note, I made a thread about my brakes dragging after installing new pads. Its till doing it but only on the drivers side. That caliper had been dragging before I did the pads but now they lock onto the rotor at a stop and its more noticeable now that it has more pad I guess. I can pump the brakes with the car off and that caliper will release from the rotor but with the car on it stays locked onto the rotor. What causes this? Is it the hydroboost going out? I had the same thing happen to my 00 gt and the brakes were never as good after replacing that caliper. Then later all 4 calipers started seizing but I just did new rotors and pads and drove it maybe 1k miles before I traded it for my 07 gt.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
If the hydro was going i think youd feel it on every caliper. When you did the pads did you compress that caliper all the way? May just need a rebuild or new caliper. And the stud you cant get a socket on.........ratchet wrenchs my friend.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I did seat them all the way but some were harder to compress than others. I had to keep trying to push the pistons in more and more because I couldnt get them to go over the pads. I think someone replaced the master cylinder at one point because it has some sort of sticker on it with a barcode and maybe a part number, its definitely not oem.

As far as the brakes here it is. Car off I can pump the brakes and then (I live on a hill) take my foot off the brake and the car will roll down the hill, even if I hit the brakes more than once or pump a few times. If I have the car on and press and release the brake pedal it wont roll down the hill at all and I can feel the brakes drag going down the street. Why do they hang only when the car is on?

Ill have to go get a 15mm ratcheting wrench now, its still going to be tough to get to due to the way the bracket is shaped.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Man one thing after another with this huh...whats the fluid look like? Is everything really corroded? There are multiple things you could do, depends on a few things, money, time. If it was mine, and the fluid looks like crap id flush it first. Most garages have a machine that does the whole system so no air gets in it and you dont have to chase air bubbles for weeks. Doesnt usually cost much either.
We can talk you through anything but you have to decide what you want to do. If its only one caliper thats locking up, after the flush if it needs it, change the caliper. Might be the perfect time to upgrade to cobra's!

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Eh its fine Im not working right now so I dont have to drive it much but on the other hand if I was Id have more money to work on it lol. I share my 07 gt with my dad, he took over payments when I got sick and we're short a car, but I drive it when he's off. I do miss driving my 02 though. I like my 07 but I went back to an sn95 for a reason.

Now that my rant is over, Nothing looks corroded and the fluid looks ok. Not too dark but Im not sure Id say it looks fresh. This car sat for months before I bought it. I do have another set of stock calipers that I could swap on, but Im going to at least bleed that one caliper in the next few days before I put the other caliper on. Im worried about air getting into the abs module but as long as I plug the line right after I remove the caliper all should be well. It seems like a common problem on these cars and usually its the caliper itself. Id believe that as the other calipers are fine and the other rims dont have brake dust on them like the drivers front does. Another member has offered to sell me a set of freshly powdercoated cobras for a good deal. Hes not in good health right now so I told him to take his time. Ill run the car like this, after I fix the caliper issue, until I need new brakes then Ill swap the cobras and stainless braided lines on.

As far as the car as a whole, it was neglected by the place I bought it from and the former owner. The worst problems are that caliper, clunk, one of the pinch rails is messed up, the trans crossmember is bent (I have a feeling the po hit a curb and messed up the steering shaft, crossmember and pinch rail), the front seats (leather) are cracked but not bad and its got a few paint chips and the roof needs new clear. After writing that all out it sounds like a lot lol but its really not bad at all and runs and drives really well. I love the car a lot, its just little stuff that it needs but its tedious. Its a work in progress so nothing concerns me that much other that the brakes and steering shaft.

I appreciate the continued support of me, I bought a steering shaft today. If its loose too then Ill send it back but if its ok Ill install it with a new firewall bearing and be done for now with the steering.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Eh its fine Im not working right now so I dont have to drive it much but on the other hand if I was Id have more money to work on it lol. I share my 07 gt with my dad, he took over payments when I got sick and we're short a car, but I drive it when he's off. I do miss driving my 02 though. I like my 07 but I went back to an sn95 for a reason.

Now that my rant is over, Nothing looks corroded and the fluid looks ok. Not too dark but Im not sure Id say it looks fresh. This car sat for months before I bought it. I do have another set of stock calipers that I could swap on, but Im going to at least bleed that one caliper in the next few days before I put the other caliper on. Im worried about air getting into the abs module but as long as I plug the line right after I remove the caliper all should be well. It seems like a common problem on these cars and usually its the caliper itself. Id believe that as the other calipers are fine and the other rims dont have brake dust on them like the drivers front does. Another member has offered to sell me a set of freshly powdercoated cobras for a good deal. Hes not in good health right now so I told him to take his time. Ill run the car like this, after I fix the caliper issue, until I need new brakes then Ill swap the cobras and stainless braided lines on.

As far as the car as a whole, it was neglected by the place I bought it from and the former owner. The worst problems are that caliper, clunk, one of the pinch rails is messed up, the trans crossmember is bent (I have a feeling the po hit a curb and messed up the steering shaft, crossmember and pinch rail), the front seats (leather) are cracked but not bad and its got a few paint chips and the roof needs new clear. After writing that all out it sounds like a lot lol but its really not bad at all and runs and drives really well. I love the car a lot, its just little stuff that it needs but its tedious. Its a work in progress so nothing concerns me that much other that the brakes and steering shaft.

I appreciate the continued support of me, I bought a steering shaft today. If its loose too then Ill send it back but if its ok Ill install it with a new firewall bearing and be done for now with the steering.

I wasnt trying to knock it or you my friend. A project always needs work, kinda like a relationship. Anyway, thats what id do. Swap that caliper out, wouldnt hurt to get a flush too, never know whats in there.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I wasnt trying to knock it or you my friend. A project always needs work, kinda like a relationship. Anyway, thats what id do. Swap that caliper out, wouldnt hurt to get a flush too, never know whats in there.

Thats cool bro you didnt offend me lol its just the way I worded it. Im gonna keep moving forward because I love the car but its gonna take some work to get it to 100 percent. Cars to me are never finished. When I had my 00 gt I had almost full bolt ons and the car was spotless except for the rust and one day I thought to myself Im 18, make little money and this thing is rusting out. I couldnt boost it so I thought I was at the end of my rope so I might as well trade up, so I traded it for my 07 gt. Then I bought my 02 gt just for myself and it needs work but I dont feel the same way about this car as my 00 gt. I treat it as a real work in progress that has the potential of becoming a really nice car but just needs some elbow grease. I like that lol.

When I say stuff about my car Im usually not complaining. I can sound like a debbie downer sometimes haha but I dont mean to. Later today Ill get out there and bleed the caliper and go from there.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I bled that caliper and the pedal did seem to firm up but there were no bubbles and while the pedal is more firm it still sticks. While the car is off the caliper is locked, then it unsticks when turning on the car but as soon as I started moving that caliper sticks again. The fluid looked really good by the way. The passenger side doesnt seem to be sticking but the passenger side rotor is getting hot too just not nearly as bad as the drivers side rotor. My extra caliper looks like one of the seals is messed up and I dont think I can use it. Either Im going to have to rebuild one of them or get a new one. I already have 2 caliper rebuild kits on hand.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Could be. I pulled the sticker off the master cylinder and googled it. Its YR33-2B559-BA. Nothing really turned up but on ebay there were a few master cylinders for sale with that part number so I guess it is oem. It looks very clean thats why I doubted it was stock but it could be. It still brakes pretty good its just the front calipers seem to be sticking. Ill google a way of checking the master cylinder and report back with the results. That definitely looks be the problem. Im still going to swap on a new caliper first and clean the slide pins. I noticed uneven pad wear again with the new pads, the outer one wears more than the inner one and Ive literally driven 2 miles on the new pads. Ill measure with my caliper tomorrow to be absolutely sure about that though.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I wasnt able to get out today to check anything and its been raining and will continue to do so for the next couple of days.

For all who dont know I was diagnosed with epilepsy last july after having 2 grand mal seizures and my meds leave me tired. I recently had a blood test done to check my vitamin d level, which was low again. But my general doctor found that my liver enzyme alt was elevated along with my creatine kinase. My doctor ordered a liver ultrasound as a precaution but Im preparing for the worst and Ive been really tired recently.

I appreciate the continued support of this thread. Its probably going to be a slow process but I appreciate the help.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
I wasnt able to get out today to check anything and its been raining and will continue to do so for the next couple of days.

For all who dont know I was diagnosed with epilepsy last july after having 2 grand mal seizures and my meds leave me tired. I recently had a blood test done to check my vitamin d level, which was low again. But my general doctor found that my liver enzyme alt was elevated along with my creatine kinase. My doctor ordered a liver ultrasound as a precaution but Im preparing for the worst and Ive been really tired recently.

I appreciate the continued support of this thread. Its probably going to be a slow process but I appreciate the help.

Ill pray for ya brother. Dont let these things fet you down, gotta stay strong and rise above. A friend of mine has had epilepsy since he was a kid. Couldnt keep is drivers license very long because of it, has really struggled through life. Guess what, had a new surgery that wasnt even approved yet. Hasnt had a seizure in 3 years. Complete turn around after 20+ years of dealing with the disease.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Ill pray for ya brother. Dont let these things fet you down, gotta stay strong and rise above. A friend of mine has had epilepsy since he was a kid. Couldnt keep is drivers license very long because of it, has really struggled through life. Guess what, had a new surgery that wasnt even approved yet. Hasnt had a seizure in 3 years. Complete turn around after 20+ years of dealing with the disease.

Thanks for your support. Mine is manageable with meds but the side effects suck, especially the anger and tiredness brought on by keppra. I have a liver ultrasound on thursday at 9:30. Hopefully Ill know more come early next week. My guess is that 2 months on depakote damaged my liver.

Its been raining off and on recently because of the tropical depression so I havent been able to do much. Im going to swap on a new caliper and run it like that. I probably messed up one of the pistons when I bottomed it out with a c clamp.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the condition man. I know several who have experienced similar :( You're in my thoughts dude.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Thanks for your support. Mine is manageable with meds but the side effects suck, especially the anger and tiredness brought on by keppra. I have a liver ultrasound on thursday at 9:30. Hopefully Ill know more come early next week. My guess is that 2 months on depakote damaged my liver.

Its been raining off and on recently because of the tropical depression so I havent been able to do much. Im going to swap on a new caliper and run it like that. I probably messed up one of the pistons when I bottomed it out with a c clamp.

Hey youll get it. Baby steps...

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the support. Its been a tough year but its getting better.

Its been a few days but Im back! It finally stopped raining today and I had my new steering shaft and man what a difference! The steering wheel is nice and tight now! Now onto the brakes. The fronts seem to lock on when the car is running. There was no air in the lines so Im starting to suspect the hydroboost is going out. Everything Im reading is saying that when it goes out it will make the pedal harder to press. Its stiffer than before I did the brakes and has less travel but the brakes are dragging now. Either I messed up retracting the caliper pistons, there is air in the lines still or the hydroboost is going. Any thoughts?

Nighttrain

Reaction score
There are a few things that could cause your problem bud. Bad lines, mc, hydro, is it pulsing at all when you hit the brakes? Like the anti lock system not working properly? Ill see what i can come up with to test the hydro to see if that would help.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Im pretty sure I can feel abs kick in and think its working. Oh and on my previous post I said the brake pedal has less travel, I meant that it has less travel to apply the brakes. Before I put the new pads on I could push the brake pedal down about half way before they really engaged. Not it engages about an inch or so from the top due to the new brake pads taking up that slack. They do seem more responsive but not where they should be, and like I said they drag with the car on. I can unlock them with the car off but when hitting the brakes they drag again. I took the drivers side front wheel off a couple days ago and that caliper was locked onto the rotor. I got in and pumped the brakes, no luck. I tried working them free by hand to make sure theyre sliding on the slide pins but they didnt budge. I should be free tomorrow afternoon, if its not raining Ill pull the wheels off and clean and regrease the slider pins and clean the part that the pads move on the brackets. I think both front calipers are dragging though so it could be the master cylinder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online