Clutch Adjustment Question - 96-98 Cobra

Venompower

Reaction score
When I first purchased the car the previous owner advised the car would not go into gear while running, and that the trans shop he had contacted told him it would need all new synchros. I had a hard time believing that on a TKO600, and so I purchased the car and got a killer deal in the process. Fast forward to this past Spring and I discovered the firewall adjustor was in backwards and the adjustable clutch cable had been installed at the very end of the cable. I flipped the firewall adjustor, and adjusted the clutch cable to be secured about half-way up the adjustment end and wouldn't you know, I was now about to drive the car.

Since then I have purchased a new OEM cable which is what almost everyone has recommended. I have what appears to be a single hook BBK quadrant, and a BBK firewall adjustor. The adjustor per the BBK instructions was screwed all the way into the firewall as the base adjustment. The car drives pretty well, but the clutch pedal doesn't feel great. It feels like it has a fairly high release, and my understanding is that unscrewing the adjustor would only make that worse? Shifting into gear can sometimes be a little hard (it doesn't grind, just requires some effort) like third to second while approaching a stop.

So what would you all suggest. I think the cable is fine (brand new OEM), so I'm guessing my issue lies with the adjustor and quadrant?

joe65

Reaction score
I don't claim to be the expert, but when i bought my mach 1 the clutch engagement was right at the bottom, no time to let the pedal out at all. Stock clutch cable stock quadrant no firewall adjuster. I bought the MM set up with the stock cable that they modify to work better at the clutch fork end the firewall adjuster and the quadrant. Made all the difference in the world. I still hate the spec 2 clutch in it but its adjusted to my liking now. Maybe get on the MM website and read their instructions for clutch adjustment, might give you some insight? On mine when I adjusted the firewall adjuster away from the firewall it gave me more gap at the bottom of the clutch pedal engagement so it wasn't right now on release.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
I don't claim to be the expert, but when i bought my mach 1 the clutch engagement was right at the bottom, no time to let the pedal out at all. Stock clutch cable stock quadrant no firewall adjuster. I bought the MM set up with the stock cable that they modify to work better at the clutch fork end the firewall adjuster and the quadrant. Made all the difference in the world. I still hate the spec 2 clutch in it but its adjusted to my liking now. Maybe get on the MM website and read their instructions for clutch adjustment, might give you some insight? On mine when I adjusted the firewall adjuster away from the firewall it gave me more gap at the bottom of the clutch pedal engagement so it wasn't right now on release.
I feel like the clutch bites pretty close to the floor but has a lot of movement after before I can fully release. I need to install my cable C-Clip so maybe I will turn the adjustor out a bit to see if that helps. I'm thinking about doing the spring mod as well.

joe65

Reaction score
I feel like the clutch bites pretty close to the floor but has a lot of movement after before I can fully release. I need to install my cable C-Clip so maybe I will turn the adjustor out a bit to see if that helps. I'm thinking about doing the spring mod as well.
I thought about doing that spring mod also before.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
I thought about doing that spring mod also before.
The only reason I'm not sure about it is that to even attach the cable to the fork I have to use a prybar to get the fork back enough to connect the cable. So based on the amount of force the fork is putting on the cable at that point I find it unlikely that the spring would do anything. There is no slop in my cable at all...

joe65

Reaction score
yeah thats pretty tough with it being on the opposite side of the bellhousing.

weendoggy

Reaction score
Most pivot ball specs are 3.650 from ball top to engine block (back face). Or you can put a straight edge across the bell housing, add in the spacer thickness and measure that way. My CF/DF releases just short of half way with BBK adjuster.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Most pivot ball specs are 3.650 from ball top to engine block (back face). Or you can put a straight edge across the bell housing, add in the spacer thickness and measure that way. My CF/DF releases just short of half way with BBK adjuster.
I'm thinking that I need to adjust the firewall adjustor out some so it's not screwed all the way into the firewall.

weendoggy

Reaction score
I'm thinking that I need to adjust the firewall adjustor out some so it's not screwed all the way into the firewall.
Doing that will take freeplay out of the clutch. If you have the adjustable threaded end on the cable, you can adjust it there a bit and then do the rest at the firewall. You should have about 1/16" to 1/8" slack at the firewall when it's set.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Doing that will take freeplay out of the clutch. If you have the adjustable threaded end on the cable, you can adjust it there a bit and then do the rest at the firewall. You should have about 1/16" to 1/8" slack at the firewall when it's set.
I’m using a brand new OEM cable so no adjustment at the clutch fork and no play in the cable.

Notthenow

Reaction score
With an OEM cable you have to remove the rubber bushing where it goes into the firewall adjuster. I don't remember if it will even fit unless unless that's removed. Just a thought.

weendoggy

Reaction score
With an OEM cable you have to remove the rubber bushing where it goes into the firewall adjuster. I don't remember if it will even fit unless unless that's removed. Just a thought.
Correct. The rubber doesn't fit in the aftermarket firewall adjuster. I get Steeda or BBK cables so I can adjust at either end to keep the adjuster closer to the firewall and setting FP.

joe65

Reaction score
Pretty sure MM website has info. on making the stock ford cable work at the firewall with an adjuster. If i remember correctly. Might be worth at least looking it up on there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online