Clutch cable freeplay mod (LDC MOD) Do it Yourself.

02GT

Reaction score
I had to bite the bullet and buy a kit from dagostino racing(only place who sells the kit anymore) for 17 shipped. I did some reading and getting the right spring is really important, it not only has to be the right size and length but also the right compression. So to avoid any stupid mistakes on my end or multiple trips to lowes I found that kit. Here is the link to the kit if anybody else wants it.

http://dagostinoracing.com/ford-96-04-mustang-clutch-freeplay-correction-kit.html

GMUSSTN

Reaction score
What size reducers did you use? Thinking of trying this tonight on my T5.

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

Reaction score
What size reducers did you use? Thinking of trying this tonight on my T5.

"But I saw a DIY thread for the clutch free play mod on the net...here is all you need...Go to Lowes or Home Depot etc. pick up a 4" spring 3/4" in diameter and 2 copper tubing reducers to fit into each end...under the car unhook the cable from the clutch fork, put the spring on the cable then hook it back to the fork. The extra spring pressure will push the fork to the end & take off any pressure to spin the TOB. Works like a charm on mine for a couple years now. This is for those that have an aftermarket quadrant & firewall adjuster " probably 3/4"x 1/2" reducers

GMUSSTN

Reaction score
I went last night. I got the copper reducer in the plumbing section--if you're at Home Depot ask and any guy should know.

The springs I found by the screen door stuff...mine wasn't exactly 3/4...I think it was like 11/16 but it was 4" long and came in a pack with a couple other sizes.

Sadly I didn't get a chance to put this on the car since I realized why my clutch was squeaking is because my practically new throwout bearing is split down the side :mad: So I gotta drop the trans this weekend and replace but I'm gonna install the spring when I'm puttin' things back together.

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

Reaction score
Disconnect your cable under the car & fit it over the cable then just hook it back up...it will be self explanatory when you see it. It pushes the clutch fork to the end of travel.

02GT

Reaction score
It works really well, totally stopped my TOB noise and my clutch feels much better. If you're having trouble finding the parts check out the link I posted above.

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Yes no worries there! Mine has been used for over 15 years...
Sweet. Thanks. My phone didn't notify me. Got mine in today
f2cc3ce8fc59b349cdc02226dc6c7a8b.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
There you go! Congrats it should solve your problems for a long time to come. Thanks for the pic!
Thanks an no problem about pics, i have plenty. so far so good. No noise at all and shifts more firm. So now it's new exedy mach 350 clutch, maximum motor sports clutch cable kit, and the freeplay mod. Plus all my other mods lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Silversn95

Reaction score
It has been awhile since I've posted and I know this post is on the old side as well but for those that did this mod, is it still working fine? Reason I ask is that my TOB is chirping like bird and would be nice if the fix is as simple as this for now until I get into bigger mods which require the trans to be removed. I don't think I have seen it stated anywhere but is there a particular spring rate that is required?

Werecow

Reaction score
I'm curious about the free play at the clutch fork end.. mine was converted over from an AOD to a T-5 (hacked) and my clutch cable is threaded on the end. When I first got it, the pedal cought right off the bottom of the floor. I checked the plastic adjustment quadrant under the dash and it's all the way adjusted. The cable at the fork had almost 1/2 inch of slop in it.. I've never fooled with a cable adjustment on one of these so I just took the slack out of the cable thinking that any more will put too much load on the TOB, the pedal feels somewhat better, it now catches about 1 1/2 inches off the floor.. do I need to toss the whole mess and start over or is this something I can adjust out with the quadrant by rehooking the cable back at the start of the adjustment on it and trying to get the pedal feel back in it? Like I said I've never fooled with this type of setup before.. posted this here since the discussion was about free play on the clutch..

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
It has been awhile since I've posted and I know this post is on the old side as well but for those that did this mod, is it still working fine? Reason I ask is that my TOB is chirping like bird and would be nice if the fix is as simple as this for now until I get into bigger mods which require the trans to be removed. I don't think I have seen it stated anywhere but is there a particular spring rate that is required?

Found this over on a different forum and he lists the parts used.

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=125153

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I'm curious about the free play at the clutch fork end.. mine was converted over from an AOD to a T-5 (hacked) and my clutch cable is threaded on the end. When I first got it, the pedal cought right off the bottom of the floor. I checked the plastic adjustment quadrant under the dash and it's all the way adjusted. The cable at the fork had almost 1/2 inch of slop in it.. I've never fooled with a cable adjustment on one of these so I just took the slack out of the cable thinking that any more will put too much load on the TOB, the pedal feels somewhat better, it now catches about 1 1/2 inches off the floor.. do I need to toss the whole mess and start over or is this something I can adjust out with the quadrant by rehooking the cable back at the start of the adjustment on it and trying to get the pedal feel back in it? Like I said I've never fooled with this type of setup before.. posted this here since the discussion was about free play on the clutch..

Did you solve this already? If you still have a stock, plastic quadrant it should be self adjusting. Simply pull up in the pedal until it stops and return the pedal to the ready position.

Silversn95

Reaction score
I did the mod back in April/May. I did not like the way it felt as it increased pedal effort and felt very springy. I put it back to stock and to my surprise, the chirping went away. I drove it all summer with no issues but in the last week the chirping has come back. I think I am just going to accept the fact I need to change it out so in the spring I will plan to do the clutch and fix my leaking rear main. Will also upgrade the clutch cable and quadrant at the same time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online

No members online now.