Clutch cable freeplay mod (LDC MOD) Do it Yourself.

Mustanger

Reaction score
Well it looks like the Chicago LDC Mod Co. is out of business, I can't find the neat little kit they made to take up the clutch cable free play and push the fork back to it's travel stop. This would keep the Throw Out Bearing from turning & squealing...nothing shows up in a Google search & Lethal Performance no longer lists it. They also made the head cooling mod too for the 4.6 4v.

But I saw a DIY thread for the clutch free play mod on the net...here is all you need...Go to Lowes or Home Depot etc. pick up a 4" spring 3/4" in diameter and 2 copper tubing reducers to fit into each end...under the car unhook the cable from the clutch fork, put the spring on the cable then hook it back to the fork. The extra spring pressure will push the fork to the end & take off any pressure to spin the TOB. Works like a charm on mine for a couple years now. This is for those that have an aftermarket quadrant & firewall adjuster.

Cost is about $5 They were sold for $16 plus almost the same in shipping by retailers....pretty neat & simple....pics in a minute..

Here are the original LDC kit & the DIY parts...

LDCMod.jpg

LDCClutchparts.jpg

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

Reaction score
Cheap too....I was plagued by a squeaky TOB for years....this has solved it permanently now! So simple...

poisonbl

Reaction score
And here, I thought I was headed towards replacing a clutch soon... definitely on my to-do list now, because the worst-case scenario is that I prove the need for the bearing being replaced after all.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
mine has been starting to squeek since about 2-3 weeks after I had the clutch done for it last time. At first it was a super high pitch and it would make dogs howl as I drove by. I thought it was just their primal instincts telling them to howl at such a bad-assed car until slowly the pitch came down to where I hear it. Been 3 yrs now, I think my brain now produces a chemical that blocks it out as I don't really hear it but anyone someone gets in they comment on it. 3 yrs, I could almost nominate you for banning.....

EF5.0

Reaction score
Just bought the parts today. Is one of those reducers cut shorter? It looks like it.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
All it does is remove the slop of the pedal. You know that inch of movement before actually levering the clutch. I have a spec 3+ clutch. My tob rides the diaphram. Its been that way forever. It chatters at any adjustment.

Sent by smoke signals

the.greg

Reaction score
It does help remove the slop at the top of the pedal when using a aftermarket quadrant, but only because the spring helps decrease the felt "slop", the slop is still there.The primary purpose is to keep the throwout bearing from constantly riding the fingers of the pressure plate which should increase tob longevity theoretically.

However, other folks in the know, Promotion, says that all you need is a dime's width gap worth of slack in the cable. They advise using their firewall adjuster, and allowing the dime width slack to be measured at the firewall adjuster, then when you take pressure off the cable, the slack is basically pulled taut.

Slykin

Reaction score
I'm putting my transmission back in today with a stock quadrant etc.. I may pick this stuff up along with a new clutch cable. I really don't feel like replacing the TOB again lol.

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

Reaction score
even with the proper slack at the clutch sometimes the fork & TOB do not return to where they ought to...& the bearing is still spinning...this mod forces it to the end & has cured many squealing bearings...can't hurt.

02GT

Reaction score
Im going to try this this weekend, might get a pvc adapter and these copper reducers to see which feels the best.

Whistler98

Reaction score
I installed a new clutch and I didn't go to a dimes thickness b/c it would've put alot of pressure on the throwout bearing. I'm about 2 quarter thickness lol. Feels great thought and no noise. But I maybe should do this mod.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.