Clutch cable freeplay mod (LDC MOD) Do it Yourself.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I did the mod back in April/May. I did not like the way it felt as it increased pedal effort and felt very springy. I put it back to stock and to my surprise, the chirping went away. I drove it all summer with no issues but in the last week the chirping has come back. I think I am just going to accept the fact I need to change it out so in the spring I will plan to do the clutch and fix my leaking rear main. Will also upgrade the clutch cable and quadrant at the same time.

I like your way of thinking!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
This is gonna sound crazy to you all, especially since you seem to be sold on the "air gap" theory....

But you're all wrong. These throwout bearings are in fact referred to by Ford as "Constant Contact Bearings" and they need to not only touch the pressure plate at all times but actually also preload it. Five or so pounds of pressure to be exact, so it is very light pressure. But there needs to be just a touch of preload or the bearing life is shortened. Sounds crazy, I know, but it is true. And this air gap is what develops the chirp in the first place.

Imagine, if you will, revving the engine to the moon and then suddenly you push the clutch pedal, sending the TOB into a very fast-spinning pressure plate. That bearing is at rest and you're asking it to INSTANTLY spin to 5k, 6k , 7k rpm.

But what if the bearing's rotational speed increased/decreased directly with that of the crankshaft at all times?

BLUF: you shock the piss out of the bearing when you don't have it in constant contact with the pressure plate.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
This is gonna sound crazy to you all, especially since you seem to be sold on the "air gap" theory....

But you're all wrong. These throwout bearings are in fact referred to by Ford as "Constant Contact Bearings" and they need to not only touch the pressure plate at all times but actually also preload it. Five or so pounds of pressure to be exact, so it is very light pressure. But there needs to be just a touch of preload or the bearing life is shortened. Sounds crazy, I know, but it is true. And this air gap is what develops the chirp in the first place.

Imagine, if you will, revving the engine to the moon and then suddenly you push the clutch pedal, sending the TOB into a very fast-spinning pressure plate. That bearing is at rest and you're asking it to INSTANTLY spin to 5k, 6k , 7k rpm.

But what if the bearing's rotational speed increased/decreased directly with that of the crankshaft at all times?

BLUF: you shock the piss out of the bearing when you don't have it in constant contact with the pressure plate.

Logical.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online