Clutch Cable install

Cochise

Reaction score
While I was on vacation last week my FRPP clutch cable with new quadrant arrived. I'm in a bit of a dilemma on the install though.

Do I do it myself this Thursday on my day off (always nice to learn AND save money). Or do I have it done at a transmission shop (I have it scheduled at a trusted shop next thursday).

While reading, researching and watching several YouTube videos, I feel like this is something I can tackle.

Here's my dilemma though, a friend of mine who has a lot of experience with SN95's said to make sure I adjust the clutch cable right. That he replaced his and he had to replace the throw-out bearing SEVERAL times because it was adjusted wrong.

He changed his out when he was also changing the clutch out, so it may have been unrelated to just the cable.

So, to my much more skilled friends out there... Is it really as straight forward as the Youtube videos make it out to be, or am I best suited to have it done professionally?

Thanks to all for your help.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Cable adjustment affects the engagement and disengagement of the clutch. Too loose and it will be difficult to get in gear bevause the clutch will still be engaged. Too tight, and the clutch won't fully engage causing slippage.

The TOB failures are caused more by low quality parts.

Also the modular TOB is in constant contact and does not have an "air gap" by design from Ford.

OP
OP
C

Cochise

Reaction score
** Update **

Success! I changed the cable out today. Took me just under an hour with the help of my son.

There was already an aluminum clutch quadrant there. Maybe the cable was just cheap (hence why it broke).

The clutch also releases in a MUCH lower position. It’s much more comfortable actually. Before the clutch went out it felt awkwardly high. I wonder if that was somewhat of a culprit as to why it broke.

I'm going to let it set for a week and re adjust. I partially expect it to stretch and settle and I will make a final adjustment as needed.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Good for you man, feels good doesn't it? Not having to replace the stock adjuster makes that job easier.

On another note, there are many quadrant shapes and those that have more than one hook. Each can feel a little different, some in effort, others with pedal engagement point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online