Clutch? Cable? Quadrant? All of the above?

Goldmember

Reaction score
I think my clutch is starting to get soft. Here's what is happening; need opinions.

- clutch pedal effort light
- "self-adjust" function of clutch pedal does not work; you can pull the pedal up an inch but no click
- catches toward top of pedal, has been a little harder to drive smoothly lately
- shifts ok, smooth when box warms up, notchy in cold but that's normal
- "rattle" noise coming from trans under heavy throttle in Third and Fourth, starts as a minor rattle at light throttle but rises in loudness and pitch if you put your foot in it
- if I mash the throttle at 35 mph in a higher gear (say Fourth or Fifth), RPM's don't rise (learned this trick here)
- 105K on stock clutch, cable, quadrant, and TOB, occasional fun, mostly DD use
- Mobil 1 ATF put in about 3 mos ago

Ideas?

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I'd probably go ahead and replace it all man. My stuff all had issues too so I replaced it all. I didn't follow his links so I'll just tell you do not buy ANY other cable than the Maximum Motorsports. Take my word for it I bought the SR kit and snapped the cable in a week. I also switched to a steeda firewall adjuster. I think I left the SR quadrant in but I've had no issues with it.

The difference in pedal feel was night and day. Believe me you won't regret it man

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Caboose302

Reaction score
I heard the same about the SR when I was buying mine. I bought the Steeda quadrant and adjuster and kept the stock cable. Been fine so far. The Steeda one clicks too and isn't supposed to back off like the SR.

Sent from mah Obamafone

96gt4.6

Reaction score
maybe steeda updated theirs since the last one i had, but it always backed off on me thats why i went to the sr one and havent had an issue on two different cars. also the mm cable is just a ford cable in a mm wrapper

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
^ he's right it's a oem ford cable in there wrapper . Lol I just buy them from right from ford , I get it the same day MM for me takes way to long being in canada **** that noise

RichV

Reaction score
Doesn't sound like your clutch is slipping, but sounds like it's a good idea to replace. RPM not going up in a higher gear is a good thing, clutch is still holding. When the RPM is going up and speed is not increasing is a sign that the clutch is slipping.

Just get a kit like: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Clutch-Cable-Quadrant-and-Firewall-Adjuster-Package-P385.aspx that way it all works together. Then grab a decent clutch kit, I've had good luck with Valeo and Exedy for anything stockish HP.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I second Maximum Motorsports. I have their firewall adjuster (older version), quadrant, and cable (which is actually an OEM Ford cable - MM says don't use anything other than an OEM cable because they tend to be inferior to it). You can't go wrong with MM products.

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
Doesn't sound like your clutch is slipping, but sounds like it's a good idea to replace. RPM not going up in a higher gear is a good thing, clutch is still holding. When the RPM is going up and speed is not increasing is a sign that the clutch is slipping.

Just get a kit like: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Clutch-Cable-Quadrant-and-Firewall-Adjuster-Package-P385.aspx that way it all works together. Then grab a decent clutch kit, I've had good luck with Valeo and Exedy for anything stockish HP.

Nice. I'm looking into this. I don't know if I'm going to be able to bite the whole bullet and do the clutch at this point, so I might as well buy it some time. Baby on the way = no telling if I can even keep the car = trying not to dump a ton of money into it.

I'm an "ok" weekend warrior, how hard is the cable/quadrant/firewall adjuster for an average guy?

96gt4.6

Reaction score
id say under an hour, i just did one on my 97 and it took me about a half hour maybe a little less

chris91

Reaction score
Hardest part is getting under the dash for the quadrant. I HATE getting under the dash for anything. lol

Here is a good video on how to adjust the Firewall Adjuster too.

[video=youtube;p02qXs9L7O4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p02qXs9L7O4[/video]

canadiantbone

Reaction score
This was good info . I find my clutch very hard to press & suspect the cable . I'll replace all of it .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online