Clutch feels rough, especially with engine on.

tykempster

Reaction score
Hi everyone, about 3 months ago I installed a RAM HDX clutch, adjustable firewall components, a new clutch cable, and a new clutch quadrant. Everything was smooth and great for several hundred miles. About a week ago the clutch would have a tiny bit of resistance in the beginning of its travel, sometimes with a popping that is easier to feel than hear. No whining or squeaking. Turns out the clutch cable had loosened up at the firewall adjuster, I tightened it up and the engagement point is good, but it doesn't feel smooth. The clutch engages and car drives fine, but with the engine on the clutch basically feels "rough" for the first inch of travel or so, like the clutch cable is scraping on something, but not really sure how that could be possible. With the engine off the first inch of travel feels slightly different than the rest of the travel, but none of the "scraping" feeling that is there when the car is running. Any clue what this could be? I'm 100% sure I followed the instructions when installing the clutch, and it felt great for hundreds of miles and several months, which makes me think I didn't necessarily do anything wrong. I'm scared the clutch cable is going to give out on me, or I'm hurting something.

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
Found the issue! With the warmer weather my insulation was sagging and dragging on the clutch quadrant! It was crazy how hard it was rubbing. I just cut it out around the quadrant.

YvPzO8P.jpg

BGTTp5y.jpg

Rb2fCQk.jpg

Win

Legend
Reaction score
There ya go. I think it has a small plastic push pin that holds all that up was it gone?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online