clutch fork squeak

Five O

Reaction score
So for awhile I've been battling with throwout bearing issues with my T5. I've gone through two clutch kit replacements-the first was a cheap Ebay kit that fell apart within a few thousand miles. The second was an OEM kit that the mechanic I took it to ordered. I still heard squeaking sounding like the throwout bearing and went away with a little pressure on the clutch; when I told him about it he popped open the inspection port on the transmission and showed me the clutch fork, saying that that's what was squeaking and that he can't do anything about it. Is there any way to get around this? I've heard of this problem on another forum... but it's a Mazda forum and I'm not sure it applies at all to the T5.

For reference the shop replaced the clutch, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, pressure plate, and flywheel.

I also noticed that the clutch has a bit of give to it before it presses in... is there a way to tighten it up and make the sound go away at the same time? The reason I believe that it's not the throwout bearing is because when it was before it always made the sound-it doesn't do it all the time now.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
stop using cheap parts on the tranny/clutch your just setting yourself up to fail. I have heard from the people I trust that you want to use a ford racing TOB so even though the exidy came with one I got it. Now I know someone is going to get on here and say they are all the same bla bla bla. I have never claimed to be a motor/tranny expert I am just repeating what I was told from my friend with a 1500 hp fox drag car he is almost done with. I also asked him about the quadrant and the fork and he said he I should be fine stock.

do you have one of these?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-firewall-adjuster-7904.html

OP
OP
Five O

Five O

Reaction score
I don't, but I might get one. I've seen some people putting springs on their clutch forks to force the TOB back to its resting position-apparently these old T5s are notorious for slack coming up. The first kit I bought was a cheapo kit, but I learned from that-the tech that installed it this last time used a FR clutch kit, so I know the parts are all good. The car shifts and drives beautifully.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that adjuster could probably fix your problem of light dragging sound until the clutch is touched?

OP
OP
Five O

Five O

Reaction score
The sound is more of a squeak like the TOB just barely touching the pressure plate. It doesn't always do it, sometimes it's loud, others it doesn't make the noise at all for quite awhile. I've looked it up and the issue seems to be a lack of grease at the pivot for the fork itself, or it being too loose which seems to be the case since my clutch pedal has a little bit of play at the beginning when I push it in.

Think your aduster will help with that? I'm all for whatever will get rid of the issue so I don't gradually eat away at the bearing, or something. The noise when I do hear it (which honestly is sort of rare) is aggravating as all hell. I noticed that pulling up on the clutch pedal a little doesn't seem to make it tighten at all.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
all you should need to do is to lightly tighten up the slack on the firewall adjuster. I had the same problem last time I swapped my clutch that the tob started squeeling 2 weeks later. It held up fine over the past 4 years but kept making noise more often then not. The ford racing has no noise but then again I do have the adjuster as well.

OP
OP
Five O

Five O

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll pick one of those up and install it... is it tough to install? In other words, can I do it at home without any tools really or do I need to take it to the shop?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
stop using cheap parts on the tranny/clutch your just setting yourself up to fail. I have heard from the people I trust that you want to use a ford racing TOB so even though the exidy came with one I got it. Now I know someone is going to get on here and say they are all the same bla bla bla. I have never claimed to be a motor/tranny expert I am just repeating what I was told from my friend with a 1500 hp fox drag car he is almost done with. I also asked him about the quadrant and the fork and he said he I should be fine stock.

do you have one of these?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-firewall-adjuster-7904.html

The OEM cable/quad/clutch is adjustable. if he has all OEM parts he should put the car in neutral, put the parking brake on and pull up on the clutch pedal.

If that doesn't help, the firewall adjuster is definitely the next step... :)

OP
OP
Five O

Five O

Reaction score
Does it need to be in neutral with the e brake on or can I do it with my foot on the brake, say at a traffic light?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online