Clutch installed, few questions though!

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
Hey guys, well just took the car around the block.. car feels way way way way way smoother... a few questions i have though

When I press the clutch in, its way way easier.. As I press it in, it is still stiff but about HALF WAY through the clutch going towards the floor, it gets super easy to press it down.. so after the "free play area", the clutch is stiff till about 1/2 way down, then the rest of the 1/2 to the floor, its way easy... is this normal?

Paul told me I need to go out and adjust the clutch pedal.. I already tried this and didn't hear the "click" noise i should. but maybe i didn't pull up on it hard enough. how hard should i have to pull?

Please let me know guys, i wanna make sure everything is correct before i keep driving on it.

97blackgt

Reaction score
u shouldnt have to pull up very hard to hear the click...

and the clutch petal sounds normal to me...your proably just not used to it because its got a different feel than what you originally had

wheres all the good pics? :dunno:

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
pics will be up man, don't worry i know you want to look at them. ill have em up for you.

see, with my older clutch, it was very stiff to press down all the way to the floor.. now, its just stiff till the halfway mark, then the rest of the way, its way easier.. my dad said its just because this is the only clutch car ive drivin and alot of clutches are like that, the reason it gets easier halfway through is because thats just where the clutch is disengaged.. soo that sounds right to you?

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
this probably doesn't help much but I've got the original clutch but mine is the same tension the whole way down. :dunno:

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
Red96GT said:
this probably doesn't help much but I've got the original clutch but mine is the same tension the whole way down. :dunno:

yeah thats how my old one was.. now its just hard halfway, then its way easier.

97blackgt

Reaction score
i have the same problem....my clutch is stiff all the way to the floor...and its a pain in the balls

thats why im putting my clutch in when i get back from spring break

and i agree with your dad...your just not used to how the new clutch is...let it break in for a few hundred miles and you will like it a lot better O0

WyoTechMSA

Reaction score
Mine is stiff all the way to the floor and I love it. WHat kind did you out in

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I put a King Cobra clutch in mine, you are o.k. The clutch is supposed to give you the performance function with the stock feel. You just need to get used to it.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
thats the thing though, the stock feel is gone.. or at least what ive experienced... the old clutch that i just took out is the only clutch ive ever used...

the old clutch would be stiff all the way to the floor..

the new clutch is only stiff halfway pressed down.. then as you continue to press it all the way to the floor, its very easy and almost no resistance.. thats normal?

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
thats the thing though, the stock feel is gone.. or at least what ive experienced... the old clutch that i just took out is the only clutch ive ever used...

the old clutch would be stiff all the way to the floor..

the new clutch is only stiff halfway pressed down.. then as you continue to press it all the way to the floor, its very easy and almost no resistance.. thats normal?

The resistance should be the same all the way through. You might have a bind in the cable or some dirt might have gotten under the boot. Drive it a couple days and see if it works itself out. But the King Cobra clutch is a light pedal. The clutch that was in your car was most likely not the original.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
how much play is there in the pedal trey. How far do you go down before you feel the clutch start to disengage/engage? The pedal in my stang is light as a feather, but Im used to the clutch in my 79 f 150 :eek:

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
The resistance should be the same all the way through. You might have a bind in the cable or some dirt might have gotten under the boot. Drive it a couple days and see if it works itself out. But the King Cobra clutch is a light pedal. The clutch that was in your car was most likely not the original.

so if it doesn't work itself out, do you have any idea what it may be? i don't want to ruin anything this early on.. thanks for your help so far..

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
uncltrvlnmatt said:

so if it doesn't work itself out, do you have any idea what it may be? i don't want to ruin anything this early on.. thanks for your help so far..

Does it make any noises when it gets easier, such as popping or clicking? Does it feel like it is binding?

When you disconected the clutch cable did you bend it up out of the way, or did you let it hang or slight bend. If you jammed it up out of the way with a sharp bend you may have kinked the end of the cable. When you step on the clutch the kink might bind until it gets far enough into the cable casing. You could also check the fork to make sure it is seated properly.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
when i press the clutch in, it makes a "CLICK" noise right when it gets easier.. so what would this hint towards? also, how would I go about checking the fork to make sure its seated? i don't want to drop this stupid tranny back down again. would it be worth my while to get an adjustable clutch cable and quadrant too?

thanks for your help so far matt, its been very useful.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
lol iono what you want me to do.. ive pulled up on it numerous times, lightly, as hard as i could... its not doing anything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online