clutch questions on my 02 GT Conv

sho89mtx

Reaction score
so when I bought the car, they said they bought a brand new clutch, but it squeeks like crazy every time I take off in first gear and it's driving me insane. Anyone know how to fix this. Also the gears kinda stick unless I absoultely pedal to the floor my clutch.
Before I bought this mustang GT I drove a ton of them and noticed that the stock GT clutches are as hard as a mack truck and I hate them(like my current on)and drove some that are very soft and smooth, does anyone know which ones might be the smooth ones and how much they cost for install and labor to put in. This stock Clutch is about to break my leg off it's so stiff and it's driving me crazy!:tongue3:

lutter94

Reaction score
OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
Does it still have the factory adjuster on the pedal? Or does it have a double hook and a firewall adjuster.

I would recommend starting at a maximum motorsports cable, adjuster, and double hook quadrant to start. The link below is prob your cheapest route. We do have coupon codes available for these sites, so lmk if you don't have one.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/MM-MMCP51/Maximum-Motorsports-Mustang-Clutch-Cable-Kit

that's a good question that I have no clue about. I just need to look under the clutch pedal and should be able to tell?

lutter94

Reaction score
Firewall Adjuster
Upright.jpg

Factory Adjuster/Quadrant
162847d1346206839-95-gt-t5-hard-shift-when-warm-quadrant-clutch.jpg

Double Hook Aftermarket Quadrant
st-5557000_8650.jpg

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
Firewall Adjuster
Upright.jpg

Factory Adjuster/Quadrant
162847d1346206839-95-gt-t5-hard-shift-when-warm-quadrant-clutch.jpg

Double Hook Aftermarket Quadrant
st-5557000_8650.jpg

Wow! I can see that this forum is gonna be very helpful to a GT rookie like me. Where exactly is that pictures taken from? Under teh clutch pedal? I guess since i'm a noob on fixing cars, I might need to research some instructions on how to even get to that area on the car where u took the pics =)

lutter94

Reaction score
Wow! I can see that this forum is gonna be very helpful to a GT rookie like me. Where exactly is that pictures taken from? Under teh clutch pedal? I guess since i'm a noob on fixing cars, I might need to research some instructions on how to even get to that area on the car where u took the pics =)

You're gonna have to stick your head under the dash, it should be easy to see. The firewall adjuster is engine side of the firewall, drivers side, the clutch cable comes thru there.

kenny150r

Reaction score
It's probably not the stock clutch they put in! I had a shop put in an aftermarket one and it was so stiff my quadrant actually snapped in half! Put an OEM clutch back in and its soo much better. The stock clutch is actually great on these cars if you're not producing major power.

Most people will recommend that the FRPP throwout bearing is necessary to reduce squealing, so if you do change your clutch make sure you get the ford racing throwout bearing!

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
finally took my car to get an oil change and discovered I got lied to about a bunch of parts they have put on the car they said were new were actually old and damaged. Found out I have a cracked radiator and a broken clutch on it's last leg, that's why the noise. So since i'm having to buy a new clutch and found someone locally who can install it for $300 if I get the clutch please everyone recommend the best clutch to get. I know to buy the Ford Racing Throwout bearing with whatever clutch I get, but which one should I get?

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
I have no complaints with my Exedy Mach 350 Stage 1.
Yeah, but yours is a 94, I think I read that there is a difference btwn the sizes of clutches. Mine is 11" and the older ones are 10.5" ,so don't know if yours will fit. How's the pedal feel when you shift? Smooth or hard? I hate having a hard as a rock shifter! Also did you buy the ford racing throw out bearing with yours?

lutter94

Reaction score
I did a Ford racing tob. It's a heavy spring but doesn't bother me. Heavier than a hydraulic in my fusion lol. The pedal feels great. Smooth, shifts good

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
I did a Ford racing tob. It's a heavy spring but doesn't bother me. Heavier than a hydraulic in my fusion lol. The pedal feels great. Smooth, shifts good
OK, you convinced me. I'm getting that exact clutch from AmericanMuscle.com and getting the Ford Racing TOB and Pilot, any other recommendations I should get with it?

lutter94

Reaction score
Firewall adjuster and double hook quadrant is all I'd push for on top of it.

AM might have a coupon code too, I have to do a little searching

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
Firewall adjuster and double hook quadrant is all I'd push for on top of it.

AM might have a coupon code too, I have to do a little searching

GREAT, THANKS! I just added both things to my cart, and gonna purchase all of my order sometimes this week. Hope u can find that coupon code since my cart is over $400 now =)

lutter94

Reaction score
I thought I saw it on here once, can't find it. I have a lmr code I can send ya though

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
OK, so now i'm excited, just ordered all of this for my car from americanmuscle.com"
Exedy Mach 350 Stage 1 clutch
Ford Racing Roller pilot bearing
Ford Racing Throwout bearing
and SR perforamnce Clutch Adjsuter kit

now just need to get that MGW short throw shifter after my clutch is fixed and it will definately drive like a different car. Just hope my clutch last until next week when I get the parts and can get it fixed. It squeals like crazy right now and have to put my foot to the floor to shift gears =(

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
finally got my car back with the new clutch. It drives so much better, I love it! Time to start modding again.... =)

lutter94

Reaction score
Love to hear it! Half the time people post for questions/advice and don't shoot back an update after its fixed! lol.

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
Love to hear it! Half the time people post for questions/advice and don't shoot back an update after its fixed! lol.

Yeah it's crazy to think that I bought and did everything that a random stranger on a message forum suggested and.....it all was a huge sucess and it worked!
THanks again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt