Clutch Replacement (1996 Mustang GT)

EleanorSN95

Reaction score
Okay im doing a clutch replacement job on my 1996 Mustang GT. A friend of mine told me most of everything i need to do and is offering a little help since im a mechanic IN TRAINING haha... and also i might not have all the tools. but he said taking off a trans in mainly all bolt-on... so I want to know a estimate on how long it might take to do it, a price range for me to get all the parts and what all should i buy. Because also im probably taking off the trans with jack stands, seat belt straps, & a skateboard... (the struggle)... so far i have a decent amount of tools, i litterally found a new torque wrench in my garage and i have a jeeper creeper. Also i believe i need
-Clutch disc
-Pressure Plate
-TOB (whatever that is, please tell me)
-Pilot Bearing
-Clutch Arm
-Pivot Ball
-Aluminium Fly Wheel
So please tell me any advice/tips... Let me know if im missing anything or anything i should watch out for since im low on safety and also low knowledge/experience... im literally learning how to do this off of whatever you guys tell me and whatever google / youtube has for me. My friend says he'll help align the clutch for me but everything else is for me to learn/teach myself, so itll be way easier next time i have to do it.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I have a RAM hdx clutch in mine, came with the pressure plate and disk. Love it so far, great clutch, good pedal feel. Get an OEM Ford Throwout Bearing and OEM Ford Pilot Bearing only! Order thru your local ford dealer. If they say clutch release bearing, just so you know its just another name for the throwout bearing. No need for an aluminum flywheel honestly.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
You'll need a bunch of extensions and a swivel to get the top starter bolt out . Once the h pipe is out it's usually a cake walk sometimes the passenger side can be a pain in the ass to undo . If you don't buy a aluminum flywheel make sure you get yours resurfaced at the least .

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Wouldn't recommend the ram hdx.

F*ck that top starter bolt. I never put mine back in, and I know a lot of people don't either lol. Ford racing TOB and pilot bearing.

First time is kinda hard but once you're like me and have done it a million times, its pretty easy and the whole job only takes an hour or two.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
This ^ yea I don't put the top bolt back in either

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Wouldn't recommend the ram hdx.

F*ck that top starter bolt. I never put mine back in, and I know a lot of people don't either lol. Ford racing TOB and pilot bearing.

First time is kinda hard but once you're like me and have done it a million times, its pretty easy and the whole job only takes an hour or two.

Whys that? I dig the HDX, feels great. Have issues with yours? Mines a daily btw, never tracked or anything, stock motor etc

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
As stated above, no need for an alumnium flywheel. Just resurface your stocker.
Since it's your first time, give yourself a whole day.
I would also highly suggest draining the trans oil to prevent spillage out of the tailshaft. It will happen.
The last time I had my trans out I had my 14yo daughter helping me torque the flywheel bolts.

RichV

Reaction score
Just get a clutch kit, should be all you need. Better name brand if you can afford it. Find out where you can get the flywheel surfaced and if you need an appointment, or if they can do it on the spot. If you can afford a new flywheel, don't worry about the surfacing.

Don't skimp on jackstands, don't get under the car if a jack is the only thing holding it up. Drain the tranny first or you'll have a nice puddle to wade in as you take the tranny out.

Remove the h-pipe 1st as Musturd said, spray all the bolts with PB Blaster or equivalent night before. Exhaust bolts tend to be a PITA.

If you have like 2 screwdrivers and a pair of channelocks, get the right tools. 3/8" and 1/2" drive with plenty of extensions and a swivel is handy.

Flywheel bolts require very little torque, so make sure the torque wrench can go that low, cheaper wrenches cannot. And it is important these get torqued correctly, use a star pattern when you get to that step.

TOB = Throw Out Bearing, comes with the clutch kit. So does a clutch alignment tool that you'll need.

First time I took one out, I scheduled 2 days. One for the removal, inspection, cleanup, etc. One for re-install. Didn't quite take all that time.

Now, I can remove a T5 in less than an hour. While holding a beer and talking on the phone! :)

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Not a robust clutch, much better off with a mcleod

Ah well we both have different uses for it. I see where you're coming from. My buddys got a 07 GT500, upgraded to a McLeod rated for like 1000 hp and torque.. Insane lol

kb1982

Reaction score
You might want to look at picking up a loaner pilot bearing removal tool also from autozone. You can get it out without it, using a grease gun but the tool makes it alot easier and alot cleaner. A chisel can be used also, but that would be the last case scenerio if it fails to come out with the above mentioned methods.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I usually remove the pilot bearing using damp paper towel stuffed into the opening. Fill it full then using the large end of a 3/8 extension to tap the paper towel in and press out the bearing adding more as needed. I definitely recommend a tranny jack especially if you are working by yourself.

Get the car as high as you can on the jackstands while being safe and making sure it's secure.

Good luck!

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
I'm about to do a modular trans removal for the third time in as many months. Don't ask... anyway its not really very hard. The bottom bolt on the pass header can get stuck easy but that's really the only hard thing. It pretty much just falls out, I also only have 2 starter bolts in. I can have it out in under 1.5 hours with a lift and back in in another 1.5 if all goes smooth. Biggest PITA is the integrated bell but if you've done it a few times that's not too bad either.

I also cannot recommend finding a lift enough if you can. I cannot imagine doing this in a driveway, eff that noise...

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I usually remove the pilot bearing using damp paper towel stuffed into the opening. Fill it full then using the large end of a 3/8 extension to tap the paper towel in and press out the bearing adding more as needed. I definitely recommend a tranny jack especially if you are working by yourself.

Get the car as high as you can on the jackstands while being safe and making sure it's secure.

Good luck!

This his is the method I use wet paper or paper towel works almost instantly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online