Clutch/Shifting Issues

94mustangsvt

Reaction score
For some time now been having weird shifting issues on my car. Under load, especially at WOT, it doesn't want to shift from one gear to the next without really forcing it and sometimes it won't go in at all.

To provide some background on the car, it has a TKO 600 with about 30,000 miles on it now and a RAM HDX clutch with about 5,000 miles on it. I also have an adjustable Steeda clutch cable with a firewall adjuster as well. The tightness of the cable seems about where it should be, but I have had a couple cables stretch out on me requiring replacement already.

Due to the strength of the TKO and relatively low miles, I doubt it is an internal transmission issue so I'm thinking pressure plate maybe? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds like your clutch is not disengaging all the way, so the the tranny does not want to let you shift into gear. I agree that its probably not a transmission issue. Try raising your clutch engagement point for starters, this may help. If not, its probably (and more likely) and issue with your clutch. I have a ram hdx and I'm honestly not a fan. Doesn't stand up to hard driving very well.

Side note (or maybe contributing to your problem), adjustable clutch cables are generally considered not strong/reliable/safe. An ideal clutch cable setup would be the kit from MM (OEM clutch cable, firewall adjuster, pedal heigh modifier, and aluminum quadrant)

OP
OP

94mustangsvt

Reaction score
Sounds like your clutch is not disengaging all the way, so the the tranny does not want to let you shift into gear. I agree that its probably not a transmission issue. Try raising your clutch engagement point for starters, this may help. If not, its probably (and more likely) and issue with your clutch. I have a ram hdx and I'm honestly not a fan. Doesn't stand up to hard driving very well.

Side note (or maybe contributing to your problem), adjustable clutch cables are generally considered not strong/reliable/safe. An ideal clutch cable setup would be the kit from MM (OEM clutch cable, firewall adjuster, pedal heigh modifier, and aluminum quadrant)

I have read that adjustable cables are poor quality in the past, and I'm definitely not impressed thus far myself. Not that impressed with this clutch either because I've noticed some slipping after extended periods of abuse lol. Can I adjust the clutch engagement point with the stock pedal assembly? I probably will go back to a stock cable and get that pedal height modifier when I have the money.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
If I remember right there's a ratcheting mechanism that is supposed to adjust the height automatically to compensate for cable stretch. If you push up on the clutch pedal with the top of your foot you should feel a click, that resets it and may help

Sent from Tapatalk for iPhone

RichV

Reaction score
My 05 does this too, sounds like the same issue. Mine has no issues under normal driving, from a stop it's fine, all the gears are easy to shift into. But at high RPM it takes a little force to get the next gear, even performance downshifting takes more effort than it should.

I have no clue what fluid is in mine, that was my 1st step to figuring this out. Do you know what fluid you have in yours?

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Swap out that cable and install an OEM or MM OEM style one. Then set the preload on your throwout bearing (tighten till it just touches the fingers and starts to spin in neutral then another click or two tighter) and see how it is.

Also you have a TKO which are notorious for having shifting issues to the point that some shops offer a "sure shift" fix on the spot when you buy the trans as an upgrade. And even that is just sort of a workaround from what I hear.

OP
OP

94mustangsvt

Reaction score
My 05 does this too, sounds like the same issue. Mine has no issues under normal driving, from a stop it's fine, all the gears are easy to shift into. But at high RPM it takes a little force to get the next gear, even performance downshifting takes more effort than it should.

I have no clue what fluid is in mine, that was my 1st step to figuring this out. Do you know what fluid you have in yours?

I think that might be part of my problem because last time I had the transmission out of the car I refilled it with a mixture of Royal Purple gear oil I had laying around and Synchromesh, but everyone who builds and sells TKOs says to use Synchromesh only. I'm guessing the same applies on the TR3650 in the 05 because the TKO is essentially just a beefed up version of that.

OP
OP

94mustangsvt

Reaction score
Swap out that cable and install an OEM or MM OEM style one. Then set the preload on your throwout bearing (tighten till it just touches the fingers and starts to spin in neutral then another click or two tighter) and see how it is.

Also you have a TKO which are notorious for having shifting issues to the point that some shops offer a "sure shift" fix on the spot when you buy the trans as an upgrade. And even that is just sort of a workaround from what I hear.

When you say set the pre-load on the throwout bearing I don't understand what you mean since you just slide it onto the input shaft. I wasn't aware there was any type of adjustment in it? Ohhhh, I think you are referring to adjusting the clutch cable firewall adjuster then checking the preload on the throwout bearing from underneath?

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
I think that might be part of my problem because last time I had the transmission out of the car I refilled it with a mixture of Royal Purple gear oil I had laying around and Synchromesh, but everyone who builds and sells TKOs says to use Synchromesh only. I'm guessing the same applies on the TR3650 in the 05 because the TKO is essentially just a beefed up version of that.

Putting that gear oil in your trans may very well have destroyed something internally and may very well be the cause of your issues. You never EVER put gear oil in a newer transmission.

When you say set the pre-load on the throwout bearing I don't understand what you mean since you just slide it onto the input shaft. I wasn't aware there was any type of adjustment in it? Ohhhh, I think you are referring to adjusting the clutch cable firewall adjuster then checking the preload on the throwout bearing from underneath?

Yes that is what the preload is, the TOB against the clutch fingers as it is designed to ride on them constantly contrary to what ppl will tell you about "freeplay kits". But if you have gear oil in there now at all I'm not sure adjusting your clutch is going to do anything. I would not even start that car again before I did a full drain/fill with the correct fluid and hope the gear oil wasn't in there long enough to really hurt anything.

OP
OP

94mustangsvt

Reaction score
Putting that gear oil in your trans may very well have destroyed something internally and may very well be the cause of your issues. You never EVER put gear oil in a newer transmission.

Yes that is what the preload is, the TOB against the clutch fingers as it is designed to ride on them constantly contrary to what ppl will tell you about "freeplay kits". But if you have gear oil in there now at all I'm not sure adjusting your clutch is going to do anything. I would not even start that car again before I did a full drain/fill with the correct fluid and hope the gear oil wasn't in there long enough to really hurt anything.

I changed the transmission fluid out tonight. It did look like last time I had the trans. out was the time I mixed in some gear oil. I put in Valvoline Synchromesh, which is a direct replacement for GM Synchromesh, but only $8 a bottle as an FYI for other people with a TKO. Pennzoil Synchromesh can also be used, which is actually the exact same thing as GM Synchromesh because Pennzoil makes it for them.

I also tightened the clutch cable up some, but still having some hard shifting issues. It is definitely significantly better with the correct fluid, but I think the cable or clutch is still causing issues.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Valvoline and Pennzoil Synchomesh are suitable substitutes to the GM stuff but they are not the same thing. I researched it, I thought the GM stuff was re-labled Pennzoil but it isn't. Regardless, the Pennzoil is good stuff, I'm sure the valvoline is fine too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online