Clutch squeal? help

brob

Reaction score
I bought my 95 gt standard about 2 weeks ago and I've recently noticed that somewhere along the drive line there is a very annoying squeal. It only happens when the clutch is disengaged. And when its squealing it will stop if a push the clutch in maybe and 1/8 of the way of the full pedal movement. so i dont have to push it very far in. The last owner told me he recently had a new higher performance clutch put in and nothing was said during the mechanical inspection.

If any of you mechanical guys could give me any info thank would be appreciated. thanks.

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
Throw out bearing could be going bad, the last owner also could of lied about the clutch and it might be coming to it's death, but the squeel you hear is the throw out bearing.

OP
OP
B

brob

Reaction score
Is the throw out bearing something that is reletivley inexpensive to fix? I wouldn't be able to do it myself it would have to have a shop do it.

cody0170

Reaction score
Mine cost 8 bucks. If you replace the bearing you should just replace the pressure plate and clutch while you have the exhaust, drive shaft, and -transmission removed. Only makes since. Since your already doing the labor or paying for it. The f---ing 3rd starter bolt is a bitch to get to and remove. total it took me about 9 or so hours with some help and air tools.

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
brob said:
Is the throw out bearing something that is reletivley inexpensive to fix? I wouldn't be able to do it myself it would have to have a shop do it.

A throw out bearing is relatively inexpensive, but the labor to do this, most shops will charge you an arm and a leg.

ryclef331

Reaction score
cody0170 said:
Mine cost 8 bucks. If you replace the bearing you should just replace the pressure plate and clutch while you have the exhaust, drive shaft, and -transmission removed. Only makes since. Since your already doing the labor or paying for it. The f---ing 3rd starter bolt is a bitch to get to and remove. total it took me about 9 or so hours with some help and air tools.

Are you serious? Dropping the tranny to get to the throw out bearing would take LESS THAN HALF the amount of time and labor that it would to pull the the bellhousing, starter, pressure plate, and clutch disc. DAMN that. If the previous owner knew a damn thing, he would have sprung for a new throwout bearing from the get go but since he didn't, you're stuck with no know. The throw out bearing might have just been knocked off the clutch fork off center.

Either way, if the clutch is still holding power, I'd just do the throwout bearing for now. drop the exhaust, 4 12mm bolts for the driveshaft, disconnect clutch cable, remove shift knob and boot, un hook the electric connections, drop the tranny crossmember and disconnect the mount (watch out for the fluid out the tail shaft), pull the 4 tranny bolts. Lay under the car and grab the tranny, and wiggle it out. It doesn't weight THAT much. I usually wiggle it out onto my chest and then scoot off to the side and let the tranny just slide off me onto the ground. All you need are jackstands tall enough. Two compotent people could do it in probably 3-4 hours if it is there first time doing it.

Like everyone already said...the part it cheap, they're going to fuck you with labor though.....

MuscleInc1320

Reaction score
my car has exactly that same fucking problem. it happen right after i installed a centerforce dual friction clutch kit with a new throwout bearing. i dont know how i could have installed the TB wrong though. could it have just wiggle out of place later after the install?

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
MuscleInc1320 said:
my car has exactly that same fucking problem. it happen right after i installed a centerforce dual friction clutch kit with a new throwout bearing. i dont know how i could have installed the TB wrong though. could it have just wiggle out of place later after the install?

HAHA mine is doing the same freaking thing! if i even move my clutch like, 1/1000000 of an inch, the squeel stops.. i dont think me and my dad installed the clutch right..

if i let the clutch all the way out super slowly, no gas (in first gear) my car makes a horrible (chattering?) noise like metal hitting each other and my car shakes super bad.

and my clutch pedal likes to change totally different feelings day to day. like some days, its stiff, some i can push it to the floor with a pinky. sometimes its hard halfway and easy the other.. its like a game.

rage602

Reaction score
The "front bearing retainer" that the TO bearing rides on is notorious for wearing out on T-5's. The TO bearing works forward and aft across it and eventually it wears a "pocket" into the surface; this is especially true if the bearing is noisy, that means it has gone dry; this is why the clutch makes different noises depending on the placement of the TO bearing across the retainer. This situation is similar to a wheel bearing going bad and trashing the spindle. The upgraded replacement part is available @ jegs.com. part # 397-M-7050-B. Also check for bellhousing alignment, a bent clutch fork or worn pivot ball.

ryclef331

Reaction score
When you're putting the tranny in, if you're not careful, you can knock the throw out bearing out of alignment on the clutch fork (half off it won't be sitting in the retainer). This can cause shitty and inconsistent pedal feel. Pull the inspection cover off bellhousing and take a look in there.

OP
OP
B

brob

Reaction score
Holy i didn't expect that much info. Thanks!

What i will probly do is just have a mechanic look at it and give me and estimate and see what it is. If its a stupid amount then im gunna leave it.

Would i be causing harm if i just leave the throw out bearing alone and just ride with the squeal? Cause i would rather if its gunna be $200 or whatever.

Id rather spend the money on other parts.

Oh and the clutch isn't slipping so its still good.

MuscleInc1320

Reaction score
only thing that could happen is the TOB will completely go out on u and cause u to be stuck i a gear. im just waiting till its time to change the clutch again b4 i do all the work.

ryclef331

Reaction score
MuscleInc1320 said:
only thing that could happen is the TOB will completely go out on u and cause u to be stuck i a gear. im just waiting till its time to change the clutch again b4 i do all the work.

even if you can't disengage the clutch, you can stil limp it home. I've done it a time or two....sucks. Put in neutral, shut off car. Put it in 1st, push clutch down (to hit the starter safety switch)....start car and off you go! To shift, let off the gas and go for the next gear. Putting slight pressure on the shifter towards second, when the RPMs match up, it will slide right in. This will get you home if you break a clutch cable or something alonog that lines. People definetly look at you wierd though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online

No members online now.