clutch??

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
soooooooooo yeah, ummm im almost positive my clutch is going out this time. i know ive bugged sn95 about this issue a few times now but im prettttty sure something is wrong with it. let me enlighten you on some of the symptoms causing me to think that its going out and let me know if im right or if you think i am.

Issue 1 - not all the time but at least a 2 times a day, ill need to downshift, ill put the clutch in, switch gears, slowly let clutch out to "catch" BUT! it will not WANT to catch. i can let the pedal out ALMOST all the way, and it wont catch. so ill finally release the pedal a bit more, and then it will just instantly catch, like i popped the clutch and my car will jerk.

Issue 2 - There is a very slight grade going up to get into my school parking lot. sometimes the traffic is kinda bad. so i will have to kinda ride the clutch to get up the hill, but do this in stop and go traffic. well, its beginning to get to the point where i can release the clutch a bit, press the gas, but the amount of gas i give the car is not proportional in how fast it gets going. at like 1500-2000 rpm and riding the clutch, it feels like someone is pushing my car up the hill. to actually get moving, i will almost have to release the clutch to get it going anywhere, but then my car will almost die because the rpms get so low..

Issue 3
- hasn't happend alot yet but its getting noticeably worse.. when im at a stop light or stop sign, ill take it out of like 2nd as i come to a stop and when im stopped, put it in first.. but sometimes it wont go in 1st so ill have to let it roll an inch or two... and also, sometimes when im shifting gears, it sometimes feels like its gettin harder to put into gear...

doesn't this all seem to lead up to my clutch gettin tired?

Solutions!

SPEC Stage 1 clutch MAYBE stage 2.. what do you guys think about SPEC clutches? i do not have 300 dollars to spend on a clutch so lets keep it kinda cheap if you guys could help me out.

What about king cobra clutches? basically stock engine so only 263lbtq.. mods will come soon but im not expecting 500hp anytime soon.

Thanks guys! :thumb:

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
what mods do you plan on doing, i would go with a king cobra clutch...i hav eone and i like it, and it is within the power that i plan on making for the time being.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Sounds like the clutch is grabbing almost at the top of the pedal, and slipping a bit. If that is the case, you need a clutch.

I just put a King Cobra clutch in my car back in October. The clutch is awsome. It is not a heavy clutch but it bites like a baby sucking its mothers boob. It is also in the price range you are looking at.

smokeybear

Reaction score
have you tried adjusting your clutch cable and have you checked the fluid. i had a vw rabbit that did the same thing the clutch was not centered right so it would not grab right. and the clutch was only 2 months old

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
smokeybear said:
have you tried adjusting your clutch cable and have you checked the fluid. i had a vw rabbit that did the same thing the clutch was not centered right so it would not grab right. and the clutch was only 2 months old

Unless the car has an after market clutch cable it is not adjustable, and the 96-98 Cobra's did not have a hydraulic clutch. It is a mechanical clutch, so there is no fluid to check.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
how much money you planning on spending? i spent $400 on mine

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
95KBGT said:

i tried callin you like 10 times yesterday... :'( whats up with that man?

ummm definitely not 400 bucks. im thinking 150-250? MAYBEEE maybe maybe close to 300 if it is necessary. no more than 300.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
TxCobrA98 said:
95KBGT said:

ummm definitely not 400 bucks. im thinking 150-250? MAYBEEE maybe maybe close to 300 if it is necessary. no more than 300.
IM SICK POON. lol...i can barley talk..

well the thing is i would go spec 2... anything less your pissing in the wind. you also need to get your flywheel turned, or drop $300 on a billet one like i did. who will be installing it?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
TxCobrA98 said:
95KBGT said:

Hes sick of taking to your goofy ass ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Trey from what I have seen those SPEC clutch kits are pretty good. I think you could get the stage 2 in your price range :dunno:

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
yeah spec 2's are in my price range. id like to get a new fly wheel also but i think thats another 200-300 bucks.

my faja and me are going to do it. well, mainly my faja, but ill be there to help.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
TxCobrA98 said:
yeah spec 2's are in my price range. id like to get a new fly wheel also but i think thats another 200-300 bucks.

my faja and me are going to do it. well, mainly my faja, but ill be there to help.

Doing a clutch in a sn95 sucks balls. I had nothing but problems. Trans did not want to come out, trans did not want to go in, Due to the dowl pins. I was also working around my H-Pipe which did not help at all. I could not get the manifold/H-Pipe bolts out without breaking them.

Hopefully you will have better luck than me.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
TxCobrA98 said:

Doing a clutch in a sn95 sucks balls. I had nothing but problems. Trans did not want to come out, trans did not want to go in, Due to the dowl pins. I was also working around my H-Pipe which did not help at all. I could not get the manifold/H-Pipe bolts out without breaking them.

Hopefully you will have better luck than me.
speaking of that trey i had some problems getting mine back in as well, i made these bolts as alignment sliders that you put in the bellhousing then the tranny meets up too and slides on...its going to be a bitch but worth it.

Rantheman

Reaction score
have you tried adjusting the clutch yourself. I have only done this once but I believe you pull back on the ckutch pedel with your foot and it readjusts it for you. I have a steeda quaderant so

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
Rantheman said:
have you tried adjusting the clutch yourself. I have only done this once but I believe you pull back on the ckutch pedel with your foot and it readjusts it for you. I have a steeda quaderant so
haven't tried adjusting it but someone up above said you can't adjust it..

95KBGT said:
speaking of that trey i had some problems getting mine back in as well, i made these bolts as alignment sliders that you put in the bellhousing then the tranny meets up too and slides on...its going to be a bitch but worth it.
what do you mean paul? like getting some bolts and using them to make the ends meet on the tranny then just like bolt them in or something? what is worth it? doing the install myself? sorry kinda confused... :)

thanks for the help everyone. im thinking stage II also because i got on SPEC's website and they said that the stage 2 has an excellent wear rate and it supports more power for not to much more. ill probably go with the stage 2. :dancing6:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Staff online

Members online