Cobra 3rd brake light repair

tizzle0469

Reaction score
Is there any info out there on this? I can't find a replacement anywhere...wanna keep the factory wing and my 3rd brake light is shot...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
what is broken on the old one? I am about to remove my trunk lid for paint and will have to take all that out and could get a pic or two if it helps but not sure what is wrong.

OP
OP
tizzle0469

tizzle0469

Reaction score
Not sure, I got it removed, got the housing cut open and I can't get anything to light up, I put power to all the areas of the strip and got nothing...wondering if the circuit board itself is bad or something... I plan on just replacing the circuit board with individual 5mm LEDs
this is it all stripped apart.

lutter94

Reaction score
its like christmas lights, one dies they all die? lol. I'd guess a bad circuit. But if you are replacing with LED's it should be easy to put those in.....

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That would be the case only if they are wired in series. Typically LEDs (I'm assuming the original is LEDs?) are wired in parallel with resistors. However, it's possible Ford used a single resistor and wired in series to try to save some money. You've confirmed that power is reaching the board? Do you have access to any of the traces on the board to confirm there is power? Try to see how it's wired (series or parallel) - a FSM may help here, not sure. Once we know how it's wired we can take it from there.

GregT94SCC

Reaction score
I noticed I had a few leds out back in the 90s and bought a replacement. Still new in package as I've never installed it. Saving it for the eventual restoration or to sell to send my kids to college in a decade or so (lol).

I bet some led strip lighting would work fine as a repair.

OP
OP
tizzle0469

tizzle0469

Reaction score
is this the crab claw spoiler with the light in it?
Yes, it's one resistor inline with the power, and I do believe it's run parallel. i think the original LEDS are flux and kinda difficult to replace. I'm gonna give the 5mm LEDs a shot and see what happens..

OP
OP
tizzle0469

tizzle0469

Reaction score
I've been reading up on that site too, it was just an old post so I was looking for more updated information. I'm currently replacing a quarter panel on the cobra so when I get back to repairing the brake light, I'll be sure to post progress.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online