cobra bottom end?

Mbachota97

Reaction score
I was wondering how much power the bottom end and take before its too much?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
your talking about the 96 to 98 model right? I guess you are so I think most guys stop around 400-450 and that is pushing it, you need a GREAT tune to have reliable HP at that level. However there are a lot of DOHC's on the street with close to 500 so........ :dunno:

OP
OP
M

Mbachota97

Reaction score
no i was actually talking about the 03-04 cobra motor, but whats the difference between the 96-98 cobra motor compared to the 03-04?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Mbachota97 said:
no i was actually talking about the 03-04 cobra motor, but whats the difference between the 96-98 cobra motor compared to the 03-04?

HA !!!!!!!!!! the 03-04 motors can do 800 or 900 HP and that is a fact. AS far as how long they will last at that level :dunno:, I remember reading on a web site a little while back, that some pro shops recommended the stopping point to be around 600rwhp.........but like I said there is guys with 2 or 3 hindered more than that with their Cobras.

The difference is the 03-04 motors compared to the pre 03's is that the new ones are built for BOOST from the factory, .................all forged internals, low compression, higher flowing heads, and cams to go along with the forced induction.

OP
OP
M

Mbachota97

Reaction score
alrighty then b/c i figured why should i spend around 3k to try to get to 400hp and then ill have to build the bottom end so i figured why not just find a 03-04 motor and go from there. I really considered buying a new car but i figured ill just get a loan for 10k and with a low finance rate and it would be better for me i think in the long run.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Mbachota97 said:
alrighty then b/c i figured why should i spend around 3k to try to get to 400hp and then ill have to build the bottom end so i figured why not just find a 03-04 motor and go from there. I really considered buying a new car but i figured ill just get a loan for 10k and with a low finance rate and it would be better for me i think in the long run.

Buddy I have ran the idea of getting a 03-04 motor in my mind a MILLION times, but they are hard to find and then on top of that what I mean is they are hard to find at a reasonable price. Nine grand is the lowest price I have seen for one and that was on ebay a few months back............they are CRAZY expensive :-[

OP
OP
M

Mbachota97

Reaction score
They have some on there right now besides the one that cost 12500 but i think i can find one i have plenty of time im in no rush. My main question was answered thank you for that. How much would it cost to do a full swap if i paid somebody to do it a 55 a hour?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Mbachota97 said:
They have some on there right now besides the one that cost 12500 but i think i can find one i have plenty of time im in no rush. My main question was answered thank you for that. How much would it cost to do a full swap if i paid somebody to do it a 55 a hour?

That I cant tell you man, each shop has their own speed they work at and it can be a BIG difference from shop to shop. Pulling the motor out of your car and dropping in the Cobra motor isn't a big deal.............its the button up process that will be time consuming, like the exhaust / computer issues / wiring / and then what kind of trans are you going to use? That's something else you have to think about.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Mbachota97 said:
What about a Mach 1 bottom end?

hmmm not 100% sure on that..........I can tell you the block and heads are aluminum not sure on the internals but I think they are NOT forged ???

OP
OP
M

Mbachota97

Reaction score
alright i didnt think so b/c i read some specs on the motor and it didnt seem so.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Mbachota97 said:
alright i didnt think so b/c i read some specs on the motor and it didnt seem so.

yea I don't think they are but don't quote me I COULD be wrong ;D ;D. They do make great power for a drop in motor though, most dyno runs on the newer ones ( like the 03-04 ones ) put out around 280hp and OVER 300tq. Lot stronger than my cobra was stock........it did 272hp and 280tq, the Mach cars have a better intake tract and the cams are more aggressive = the better numbers

97vertstang

Reaction score
the mach 1 s are not forged. they do make 450rwhp with a procharger. 500rwhp is about the limit for a mach 1 engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online