Cobra brake issue...(clunking sound)

Above118

Reaction score
I recently did the cobra brake swap...notice i have a "clunking" sound when i tap the brakes,or going over bumps..
Brackets are bolted down tight as can be... pads have there clips on them...the sliders are new from Advanced auto.
I did notice the sliders fit a little loose from the E-clip on back...is that normal? Kinda sounds like the pads are shifting,but show no wear of it.

any ideas bc im stumped and the sound makes me :mad:

OP
OP
Above118

Above118

Reaction score
You sure its the brakes?

yea... all new bushings all the way around the front end,new ball joints, its a very pro dominant sound when i tap the brakes... and if im going over bumps that i know will make the noise i will ride the brakes for a second and it wont make any sounds.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had a similar issue. You sure you have the anti-rattle clips installed correctly.

Without them in right I would get noise over every tiny little bump, however when braking the sound went away

Cpotts13

Reaction score
I had a similar issue. You sure you have the anti-rattle clips installed correctly.

Without them in right I would get noise over every tiny little bump, however when braking the sound went away

I am 100% sure this Is his problem. I had the exact same issue when I did my cobra brake swap. It's the antirattle clips he needs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I am 100% sure this Is his problem. I had the exact same issue when I did my cobra brake swap. It's the antirattle clips he needs.

That's certainly what it sounds like to me. Honestly, the first time around I threw those clips away because I couldn't get them in right. It's actually pretty easy once you look at it for a bit though.

I bought a new set of pads for $18 because it was cheaper than the $20 set of rattle clips, and it came with them!

Win

Legend
Reaction score
The pistons slamming into the pads can be a little louder also then what your used to on the regular GT brakes.

To me it sounds like your slide pins are worn. Causing the caliper to move around when you tap on the brakes.

Win

Legend
Reaction score

If your meaning the rubber inside the indicators you can't buy them anywhere anymore.

To me it sounds like the slide pins are worn.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No no [MENTION=8860]Win[/MENTION], anti rattle clips on the back of the pad. If installed incorrectly or not at all, these exact symptoms occur

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Indicator clips / anti rattle clips yes I know what you mean but a worn slide pin can be the exact sound also :) most people forget about those when doing the cobra brake upgrade.

OP
OP
Above118

Above118

Reaction score
[MENTION=10997]g36 monkey[/MENTION] ahhh it might be the rear anti rattle clips!! i have the fronts,but im not sure i put the rears on...fml. lol....my pads only came with 2..not 4.
[MENTION=8860]Win[/MENTION] I know for sure not the slide pins,those are brand new. i thought those would be the case 1st.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
g36 monkey ahhh it might be the rear anti rattle clips!! i have the fronts,but im not sure i put the rears on...fml. lol....my pads only came with 2..not 4.
Win I know for sure not the slide pins,those are brand new. i thought those would be the case 1st.

these ??

7d3cdab4fa8fe62d63c9aead7065eb22.jpg

OP
OP
Above118

Above118

Reaction score
Win Cpotts13 g36 monkey guess what guys,that was NOT the issue.....i have the clips in correct locations.

wanna know the issue?.... IM A DIP SHIT!!...in my "rush" to get them on...i put the calipers/brackets on the wrong side!!

so when i tap the brakes,the pads shift forward,and compress the clips.rather then the front of them being snug against the bracket..
i look my wheel off and looked at and and literately said out loud.. "what dumbass put these on?!"

lol thanks for all the replies tho guys..i appreciate it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online