Cobra Brakes

rgs

Reaction score
wondering where the best place to get a complete cobra brake swap from is

heres what im looking for:

black front and rear calipers
2 front and 2 back cross drilled and slotted rotors
stainless steel braided brake lines

pretty much looking for everything to do the swap.

and do you guys think upgrading the master cylinder is needed?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
www.buyfordracing.com is where i bought everything and was the best price i could find. The rear calipers are the same on the V6/GT/Cobra so don't waste the money on new ones unless yours are bad.
I didn't upgrade the MC but my pedal does feel kinda mushy so i may do it in the future. Braking was improved greatly.

OP
OP
R

rgs

Reaction score
so on the rear the only difference is the rotor size??

i need special clips or something if i get bigger rear rotors right?

Suspect

Reaction score
thats weird i didnt change my mc and pedal feel was more firm. :dunno: did u put in ss lines also?

i think u need a braket for the rears. beleive theres a kit u can buy with everything. i need to get this dont too, so if u find a nice deal on the rears post it up.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The Cobra rears use a bigger thicker vented rotor and a caliper relocation bracket to move the caliper out for the bigger rotor. You have to remove the axles to access the mounting locations for the bracket. The rear upgrade isn't that significant and unless you are auto X'ing just an upgraded drilled/slotted rotor and better pads would be easier.

95-stang

Reaction score
Suspect said:
thats weird i didnt change my mc and pedal feel was more firm. :dunno: did u put in ss lines also?

i think u need a braket for the rears. beleive theres a kit u can buy with everything. i need to get this dont too, so if u find a nice deal on the rears post it up.

I have'nt used the Cobra master yet, and my pedal is definately harder.

OP
OP
R

rgs

Reaction score
ya thats what i heard too about the master cylinder.

and i think i am gonna buy new calipers and rotors for the rear too. i would like the upgrade and that way i dont have to mess with the brackets and what not. plus they are only like 180 for the calipers and pads

S

scarface

rgs said:
ya thats what i heard too about the master cylinder.

and i think i am gonna buy new calipers and rotors for the rear too. i would like the upgrade and that way i dont have to mess with the brackets and what not. plus they are only like 180 for the calipers and pads
you will still need to change the bracket in the rear regardless....the caliper is exactly the same.

OP
OP
R

rgs

Reaction score
hmmm i've never heard you have to remove the axles to swap to bigger rotors in the rear though....

OP
OP
R

rgs

Reaction score
the only bad part about buy ford racing.com is that you cant get cross drilled and slotted rotors :(

Hybridbird

Reaction score
Bear makes a kit with 13" CD/Slotted rotors and a bracket to relocate your stock caliper/bracket and you don't have to remove anything but the rotor,caliper/bracket and loosen the "groan bracket" behind it.Then you just put in their bracket and then tighten everything back up,I just did it on mine this weekend,it's really straight forward.Look for my post in here called "got the brakes on" for pics.

OP
OP
R

rgs

Reaction score
could you please show me this link. sounds like thats the one ill be getting.

but i still dont know where to find cobra fronts with cd/slotted rotors

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hybridbird said:
Bear makes a kit with 13" CD/Slotted rotors and a bracket to relocate your stock caliper/bracket and you don't have to remove anything but the rotor,caliper/bracket and loosen the "groan bracket" behind it.Then you just put in their bracket and then tighten everything back up,I just did it on mine this weekend,it's really straight forward.Look for my post in here called "got the brakes on" for pics.

That kit has had alot of issues...the brackets attach to the stock brackets and resignate the noise through the rear, and also alot of issues with the brake cable not being long enough. It does look really good though...a friend of mine installed the Steeda version alittle while ago and removed it because it was too noisy.

Hybridbird

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
Hybridbird said:

That kit has had alot of issues...the brackets attach to the stock brackets and resignate the noise through the rear, and also alot of issues with the brake cable not being long enough. It does look really good though...a friend of mine installed the Steeda version Little while ago and removed it because it was too noisy.
I may be wrong here,but I think the noise issue may be do to the fact that in the install instructions,they tell you that you have the option of just moving that groan bracket over or leaving it off all together,thereby leaving yourself open to noise.I just moved mine over and put my relo-bracket between them and tightened it all back down,so far so good.The issue with the cable I solved by loosening the brackets that hold it to the floor and pulling it back about an inch and tightening them back down,giving me the little extra slack needed to make them reach.After the first few times of setting the P brake they adjusted,as far as I can tell.I will know more when I finally get them broke in all the way,for now I have really nice pedal feel and great stopping,I just can't really get on them to test them out yet.

OP
OP
R

rgs

Reaction score
thx for all the info guys. still undecided on exactly what kits im gonna get for my front and rear

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Cobra Caliper do not come black, You can wither get the that LAME grey color or Red.

Here is the CHEAPEST way to get Cobra brakes....and they way i did it.

Get the Grey Calipers and SS Lines from wwwMustangSuspention.com they have it the cheapest and you get a Discount if you use the SN-95 Forum Code.

Buy Some Black Paint

Get your Rotors From www.rotorpros.com If you say you are from Stangnet and saw the "Group Buy" then he give them to you CHEAP. I Got my front Slotted Rotors for$60!!!

Thats the cheapest way to get the brakes

Your car is white so paint the caliper BLACK. It will look so clean and sexy....and Just get Slotted rotors.....Cross-drilled Crack under hard braking FYI

IMG_0212.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownArmy

Members online

No members online now.