Cobra front end swap - hood and bumper

joemomma

Reaction score
Found a '96-'98 Cobra hood on FB Marketplace fairly close, I'm going to try and go check it out. Guy is selling it and what looks to be a S281 wing.

For those that have done the Cobra front end swap - what all is required outside of the hood, bumper, and fogs? I'm sure there's something else I'm forgetting?

Procharged87

Reaction score
Trying to remember offhand but if you have a 94-95, you’ll need the newer style hood latch I believe. The handle is on the opposite side for 94-95 cars so when pulled, the latch opens the opposite direction. For the fogs you’ll need the correct brackets since Cobra fogs are round (but you may have already accounted for those). Everything else, I think, is pretty straightforward.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
So when I changed mine due to a girlfriend wrecking mine
I just changed the fog light bracket with new lights
And installed the cobra bumper cover that was it
Nothing else

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Trying to remember offhand but if you have a 94-95, you’ll need the newer style hood latch I believe. The handle is on the opposite side for 94-95 cars so when pulled, the latch opens the opposite direction. For the fogs you’ll need the correct brackets since Cobra fogs are round (but you may have already accounted for those). Everything else, I think, is pretty straightforward.
I see on LMR there is a latch for 94-95, and then 96-98. Thanks for the info! I don't know which style this hood uses, I'll find out tonight!

Flade

Reaction score
The hood fits the 94/95 just fine, no need to change the latch. They changed the Handle but they latch the hood the same. You’ll need the hood, bumper, fog lights and fog light brackets.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Picked up the hood last night, pics in my build thread. Did I read somewhere that GMC Envoy fogs can be used or am I confusing that with something else?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Picked up the hood last night, pics in my build thread. Did I read somewhere that GMC Envoy fogs can be used or am I confusing that with something else?
Envoy fogs work. You have to modify the stock brackets and mount the envoy brackets to the stock ones. They look a lot better.

You can also use dodge Dakota fogs, they fit better than stock but not as big as envoy lights. Envoy lights are large enough that it touches inside the bumper opening.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Ahh, good to know. Since I don't have stock brackets (haven't priced them either) I may just stick with stock Cobra. I'll poke around and see what I can find.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
A couple guys have made brackets out of some flat steel. Look around, it shouldn’t be too hard to find a way to make them.

Procharged87

Reaction score
The hood fits the 94/95 just fine, no need to change the latch. They changed the Handle but they latch the hood the same. You’ll need the hood, bumper, fog lights and fog light brackets.
I have a Cervini’s 95 R good on mine so not entirely sure why I had to have the other latch. May not be applicable when using a stock style hood but I remembered changing the latch so I wanted to mention it just in case.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Some hoods only have the one sided striker plate
Could be left or right side
Mine came with right and left so no extra parts were needed

waynenorcross

Reaction score
Envoy fogs work. You have to modify the stock brackets and mount the envoy brackets to the stock ones. They look a lot better.

You can also use dodge Dakota fogs, they fit better than stock but not as big as envoy lights. Envoy lights are large enough that it touches inside the bumper opening.
I used PIAA 510 (I think) fog lights with the yellow ion crystal lenses. They were so much better. Not hard to mount

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Right on. I'll check the bumper out when I get it. I have some bar stock leftovers from when I tried to fab up my seat brackets.

Procharged87

Reaction score
Some hoods only have the one sided striker plate
Could be left or right side
Mine came with right and left so no extra parts were needed
Thanks for the info! Just looked at my R hood and the strike plate is only on one side which, I believe, was the opposite side from the factory hood so that must have been why I had to get the newer latch.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
I've got the bumper cover now. I just pulled it out of the shipping box and looked over it briefly. I need to pull it out and see how the fogs actually mount - I didn't see any holes for mounting brackets, but it was just a quick glance. I wonder if I could reuse my stock GT brackets....

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I've got the bumper cover now. I just pulled it out of the shipping box and looked over it briefly. I need to pull it out and see how the fogs actually mount - I didn't see any holes for mounting brackets, but it was just a quick glance. I wonder if I could reuse my stock GT brackets....
The fog lights mount to the bumper support, not the bumper cover.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
The fog lights mount to the bumper support, not the bumper cover.

Ha! That would explain the lack of mounting holes lol. I might just pick up a set of the Envoy fogs, they're cheap on the 'bay. Be something to play with anyway.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Just ordered a set of Envoy fogs, like $30 with tax/shipping.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Should be picking the car up this week from paint. Have a question/looking for opinions: the emblem on the front....should I leave the pony or get the Cobra badge? My initial thought is to leave the pony, I don't like "upbadging". What say the collective?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online