Cobra intake manifold bolts

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
Well i was taking the upper and lower off to paint them tonight and i ran into a few "snags". First of all the middle upper manifold bolt was all rusted. All the others were perfectly fine. Does it go into water and needs thread sealer?

Also on the lower bolts the front and back bolts on each side had a bunch of caked on black shit. They came out much harder than the others. I almost think it is burnt up oil, or is it just thread sealer or do i need sealer? All the bolts in the middle just had a light coat of oil on them and looked fine.

I broke the front bolt off one side so anyone know if arp etc has all new bolts or anything. Part #'s would be nice. I plan on going to ford, napa etc tomorrow and seeing what i can find. Also any advice best/easiest way to get it out of the block. Unfortunately not enough is stick out of the block to get vice grips etc on it. I was thinking of trying left handed drill bit first and then maybe an easy out.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Yes...some bolts protrude into water jackets and need sealant. The black shit you had on some of your bolts most likely is sealant. Permatex gasket sealer is the best sealer I've found. It looks like tar. It comes in a small white jar with a "swab" lid applicator.

As for the broken bit you can try and easy out. HEAT is the best way. If you have access to a torch, get the bolt nice and hot (not red hot), then apply candle wax....the way won't burn off right away. It will liquify and penerate the threads. The bolt is probably rusted into the head or goobered up with sealant or a combo of both. Then try your drill bit and or EZ-Out.

EZ OUT TIP!!!

I'm a helicopter mechanic for the Marine Corps and half my job is pulling out broken bolts and other hardware due to other shop's stupidities so take this as gospel. When you're using an EZ out...MAKE SURE the hole you drilled in the broken fastener is deep enough for the sides of the EZ out to "bite" first off. The tip of the EZ shouldn't be touching the bottom of the hole you've drilled...SECOND, once its in there...give the bit a good tap with a hammer to set it in the fastener deeper and THEN as you're turning the broken hardware out, CONTINUE to TAP the back of the EZ out! This ensures the EZ will stay in there.

Steel hw is the easiest to EZ Out due to the fact that the EZ won't just rip it apart so you may be in luck.

As for new hardware, ARP is nice and all but that isn't really a high stress area. Stock replacement should be just fine. Just seal it up!

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
alright i wondered if any of them needed sealer. So i assume the front and back lower bolts need sealer and the middle upper bolt too(guessing because of how it was rusted the whole way up)?

ill definately hit it with some heat/candle. I have always heard that from truck guys trying to get rusted bolts out but i have never had to try. i gave it a shot of pb blaster tonight. Ill let that sit over night. I have always had good luck with it too.

thanks for the help ryclef O0

94twinscrew

Reaction score
That wax trick sounds pretty slick....I might have to try that next time.

ryclef331

Reaction score
MeanGrn Gt said:
alright i wondered if any of them needed sealer. So i assume the front and back lower bolts need sealer and the middle upper bolt too(guessing because of how it was rusted the whole way up)?

ill definately hit it with some heat/candle. I have always heard that from truck guys trying to get rusted bolts out but i have never had to try. i gave it a shot of pb blaster tonight. Ill let that sit over night. I have always had good luck with it too.

thanks for the help ryclef O0

I'd have to go home and look at my heads to remember exactly what bolts on the lower go into water jackets. I just slathered them all with sealant on the threads and bolted'em down. Were you saying that one of the upper to lower intake mount bolts were jacked up??

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
ya one was. It is the center bolt. Here is the pic (you can see the lower bolt too)

IMG_0498.jpg

The other upper bolts were fine and there was one that was exactly the same bolt so i wondered if it was in a water jacket too and needs sealer

94twinscrew

Reaction score
His lifter valley was also pretty oxidized,look like a lower gasket failure around one of the water jackets....probably from electrolisis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online