Cobra intake on GT

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Any idea how much power that added? I'm not looking to win races, I'd just like to get out of my own way better. If I could do something like your picture with some better gears, I think I'd be where I want to be.
About roughly 20 that intake is a good torque maker as well

shovel

Reaction score
None of these are going to add enough to feel unless you have some other things like heads/cam to go with it.

This is where differing approaches become apparent. This is all I needed to know about the stock HO manifold.

Attachments

• manifold.jpg
    manifold.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
R

r1ch999999

Reaction score
So do I need the lower intake as well as the upper? Would the explorer intake fit with a cobra strut tower bar?
I can find a complete 5.0 out of a 96 Explorer for cheaper ($800 and local) than I've seen upper/lower intakes. I wonder if that would be worth it to get the heads as well.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
If you are on a budget
Then yes you'll want to get that Explorer intake and the lower and port out the lower
The gt40 is hard and expensive to get
As far as the strut tower goes I am not sure about the fitment the cobra one yes
Ford aluminum 5.0 heads are getting hard to find
Try to get a used set

shovel

Reaction score
You might find this graph interesting. In particular look at the difference in % between the best and worst flowing runners.

Attachments

• flow2.png
    flow2.png
    51 KB · Views: 13

Maximum95

Reaction score
So do I need the lower intake as well as the upper? Would the explorer intake fit with a cobra strut tower bar?
I can find a complete 5.0 out of a 96 Explorer for cheaper ($800 and local) than I've seen upper/lower intakes. I wonder if that would be worth it to get the heads as well.

Here's the long version. The stock GT manifold upper and lower are only compatible with each other. The Cobra intake, Explorer intake, and tubular intake are all considered GT40 intakes. Once you get a GT40 lower intake (photo attached), all of the different upper intakes are compatible with it. A GT40 lower intake can take a pre-'93 style Cobra upper, '94-'95 Cobra upper, Explorer upper, tubular GT40 upper, and many more. There are many, many different versions of the GT40 but they all share a similar lower. So if you are looking to upgrade, be sure you get and upper and lower intake together. Here's a link with some more info on the different versions.

52676206690_fc2a411f5f_k.jpg

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I am talking to a friend across the Texas mexico border
He is telling me there is a junk yard i need to see over there
5.o out the ass all makes ford
I'm arranging a trip over there

OP
OP
R

r1ch999999

Reaction score
I am talking to a friend across the Texas mexico border
He is telling me there is a junk yard i need to see over there
5.o out the ass all makes ford
I'm arranging a trip over there
You could pay for your trip with intakes.

OP
OP
R

r1ch999999

Reaction score
I just found a local cobra upper and lower from a 95 along with a throttle body and valve covers. The guy is looking for $1,100 for the lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online