Cobra IRS

94 Bullitt

Reaction score
I'm looking into Cobra IRS in my stang. I've heared the only problem is brake flexlines. Is there any other issues I need to know about, such as rim fitment, brakes, exhaust routing...ect....

ryclef331

Reaction score
you need to run a cobra style catback...the IRS will no long allow the use of your factory system. You need to put your stock solid axle's pinion flange on the IRS and you can retain your stock driveshaft. Also, the IRS is going to be 3/4" wider EACH SIDE. Rims will all fit the same though. SN95s rear ends always sunk a bit more on each side than they should be.

OP
OP

94 Bullitt

Reaction score
COOL!!!! thats what I was lookin' for, I think the same about the narrow rear end. Thanks Ryclef331!!!

OP
OP

94 Bullitt

Reaction score
Well I like the way IRS feels when I drive cars with it. Plus I like lil things that will stand apart from other stangs. But the main reason is "Cuz it can be done"

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
94 Bullitt said:
Well I like the way IRS feels when I drive cars with it. Plus I like lil things that will stand apart from other stangs. But the main reason is "Cuz it can be done"

do you drag race ( track ) or drive your car very hard ( acceleration from a stop ) ?? If you do then you DONT WANT A IRS rear, take it from somebody who HAS A IRS REAR RIGHT NOW But for regular driving, handling, and a great ride they are great. And if you have the extra money to spend you can build one to perform OK in your car but you would need quite a few changes from the stock setup. Like bushings, braces, axles and so on. Also if your dead set on this get one out of a Terminator and NOT a 99-01 corba, the newer ones are better than the older ones. They have better components.

OP
OP

94 Bullitt

Reaction score
Thanks Snakebit. I do go to the track once a week. This is the type of info I wanted and I am not set on it, thats why Im askin questions. What is the problem with IRS under hard launches? wheel hop?

ryclef331

Reaction score
94 Bullitt said:
Thanks Snakebit. I do go to the track once a week. This is the type of info I wanted and I am not set on it, thats why Im askin questions. What is the problem with IRS under hard launches? wheel hop?

Some of the worst wheel hop you've ever scene in a car. PERIOD. I've seen countless STOCK 03-04 cobras get about 10 ft off the line and blow the rear end apart.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
94 Bullitt said:

Yes basicly thats it, the axles are some concern too. If you really want it, I would get one and then do a little build job on it. Beef it up every where it can be and you will probally be fine. Its just going to cost you some cash to get it done right where it will last and not cause any trouble for you. Mine is not a big deal for me since I dont have a lot of power on mine, i have run a 12.48 on BFG DR's and I had a slight amount of hop but not enough to worry about. I dont launch over about 1800-2200 with my 430's

S

sn95shelby

IRS is more for mid power road race cars than drag cars but if you want an IRS maxxim motersports sells an IRS "grip box" setup

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online

No members online now.