Cobra Motor in Towncar

z96cobra

Reaction score
Just for ****'s and giggles, does any one have any idea on how much money and time I would have to drop to put a 4.6 4V Cobra motor into a Lincoln Towncar? I ask this because I have a 98 and a 92 Lincoln town car both with motors on their way out. I love the ride of the towncar, and would love to have either as a daily driver. I can get a cobra motor for around $2-3K so other than that, how much work would a swap be?

OP
OP
Z

z96cobra

Reaction score
I think they just came in the continentals (we have a 98 in the garage) and the mark VIII's, but I could be wrong... i'm pretty sure my 92 Towncar is a 4.6 2V but I could be wrong. My dad and I are trying to find a marauder or similar motor to put in the 98 town car, b/c we put the 04 marauder next to the 98 town car and it looks like everything would fit with not a ton of modifications... but we are all talk for now.. it will take a lot to actually get started on our used car lot in front of the house....

97GT4.6

Reaction score
The Town cars had 2 Valve 4.6's..

I have a 90 Town car currently, and its got a 190 hp 5.0 in it.. I want to mod it so badly lol

97GT4.6

Reaction score
Town cars are so comfortable, and are very good cruisers.. don't knock it, till you've ridden in it.

96StangGT

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of comfort IMO and yes i have ridden in plenty of cars. I'm sure a Lincoln Towncar :icon_puke_r: isn't soooooo comfortable that ill go out a buy one. I mean my cousin's got an 04 mach 1 and that car is comfortable and fast. I was just sayin i think its plain dumb to put all that work into a Lincoln Towncar, thats all...

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
I'd rock the hell out of a built p71 vic. Them things, including marauders can be nasty. Theres one on youtube that the fella built the motor and slapped a turbo on it. All worked off a must, including exhaust. Pretty badass if you asked me.

OP
OP
Z

z96cobra

Reaction score
It's not like I'm gonna go buy a towncar and drop 5k into it, we have 3 towncars (92, 95, 98) sitting in our driveway, and they all need a couple of grand to fix them into good town cars... so why not just throw a little more money at them and make a killer sleeper for a daily driver :)

Magic

Reaction score
z96cobra said:
I think they just came in the continentals (we have a 98 in the garage) and the mark VIII's, but I could be wrong...

Thats right. However the Continentals were Front Wheel Drive.

Towncars had the 2v 4.6. As far the 4v swap. It shouldn't be too difficult if you reuse all the existing wiring/harness and computer from the Towncar and treat the 4v as basically replacing the 2v. I would suggest a tune for the computer (for the larger injectors 24lb) and find a way to control the IMRC plates (if using an older 4v B-head engine), with something like an RPM Window switch.

The modifying you will have to do is for the exhaust.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Not even the exhaust. A cobra mid pipe will fit a GT all day long. i don't see how a town car would be any different

x182dan

Reaction score
It would be a nice sleeper. I love big comfortable cars hell I had two thunderbirds with that nice IRS setup

OP
OP
Z

z96cobra

Reaction score
We came to the conclusion that we just want to get the 98 running so we are gonna pick up a tcar motor for like 1200 bucks and just do a direct swap... it shouldnt take much time. Maybe I can still do the 92 Town Cobra when i get a real job...

jc95gt

Reaction score
x182dan said:
It would be a nice sleeper. I love big convertible cars hell I had two thunderbirds with that nice IRS setup

yes my gmom has a 97 tbird...
trying to ghet her to buy the trickflow heads haha
that would be pimp

97GT4.6

Reaction score
haha trickflow heads would wake it up a bit. I was looking at the headers on this damn 5.0, and they are tiny! Needs some long tubes and full exhaust.. maybe a 460 BB swap..

96StangGT

Reaction score
95PGTTech said:
96StangGT said:

easy there. you own one of the very slowest mustang gts in the history of the production of the car.
Yeah good thing i dont own that car anymore huh...got a crystal white gt now supercharged built motor etc...
slow? no...we can race if u want lol...

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
dafizuck said:
96StangGT said:
I'm not a fan of comfort

Dumbest thing Ive read all day...

He's still a baby, give him a few years of work and stress and see if he feels the same. He will probably be asking what wheels to put on his 2019 Lincoln in 10 years.

50Fanatic92

Reaction score
To be honest with you this sounds like a pretty easy swap to me, expensive but mostly straight forward. Just take the drivetrain and wiring harness out of a marauder and it should fit in the town car without to much trouble. There basically the same thing with just different body parts and badges.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online