Cobra R Wheels

coma4by

Reaction score
I need to get new wheels for my GT. I currently have a set of Ford Chrome Cobra R's that could use a rechrome as they are 20 years old, but it is too expensive at the moment to have them rechromed. I'm getting quotes for $1600 to reverse chrome and then rechrome.

So i think i am going to put a set of silver cobra R's on the car until my kids are gone and i can get my rims rechromed. My question is, who makes a replica that closest matches the originals?

I will have to find cobra R center caps to put into them, but the stock pictures of aftermarket cobra R wheels are so difficult to tell what they really look like. For some reason when i look at them, i can tell they are cobra R "style" wheels. Ideally I would like to find real Cobra R Wheels, but that is proving to be a difficult task.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't bother painting over chrome....I've yet to see any kind of paint stick to chrome no matter what kind of prep lol. When you say "matches the originals" do you mean matches the finish? Because they seem to all be either basic silver or chrome. If you want the silver to match OE then you could repaint an aftermarket powder coated wheel pretty easily, but stay away from chrome

OP
OP
coma4by

coma4by

Reaction score
When i say match, I mean in style. When I look at some of the repro's, they contours of the wheel do not look the same as the real wheels. I'll be buying all 4 rims so I wont have to match my originals.

And I'm with you, I dont want to paint over chrome and I don't want to bead blast the chrome off.feom what I gather, the proper way to take chrome off is to reverse the dipping process.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
When i say match, I mean in style. When I look at some of the repro's, they contours of the wheel do not look the same as the real wheels. I'll be buying all 4 rims so I wont have to match my originals.

And I'm with you, I dont want to paint over chrome and I don't want to bead blast the chrome off.feom what I gather, the proper way to take chrome off is to reverse the dipping process.
Ah, i see. Yea only way to paint chrome properly is to get the chrome off lol. I've always loved the silver cobra R's. Never knew they were slightly different between manufacturers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online