Cobra Storage

Turbo98

Reaction score
What is the best way to store a car for longer perids of time and have it still start? I have a 98 Cobra and want to store it mainly in the winter and not start it for a month or so (mainly when it is nice out). Would just unhooking the negative battery cable work? Is there some kind of inexpensive battery charger that you can plug in that would just put a very small charge on the battery to keep it charged while the battery remains in the car?
Thanks for any input.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You can get a trickle charger for it. Or you could unhook the battery and once a week hook it up and fire it up untill it warms up fairly well. That also helps lube everything up again, I suggest chaning the oil now as well. Add fuel stabilzer even though a month isnt too long its only like $2 a bottle, add some extra air in your tires since you wont want soft spots to develop.

wayne94mustang

Reaction score
i like to change the oil before i let my car sit all winter...and yes just unhook the neg cable

OP
OP
T

Turbo98

Reaction score
When you just unhook the negative cable, does the battery stay charged for the most part?
Thanks.

OP
OP
T

Turbo98

Reaction score
Also, how long have you gone with the negative battery cable unhooked and have it still fire up?
Thanks again.

ForcFed93

Reaction score
In all reality, a month should be fine for the battery to hold charge. However, what I do, is go out about once a week and put a 2 amp charger on it for about an hour, just to keep it full and not overcharge it.

Cobra456hp

Reaction score
if your not going to get it out and drive it, I would also put it on stands. Keep the weight off the tires and springs.

Cobra456hp

Reaction score
ooh sorry. wasn't paying attention to the time of storage. I promise to read more thoroughly from now on. ok if over say 6 months, I personaly would lift it. Better?

sKyZ

Reaction score
Put carpet under the tires, Wash it, take off the battery cable, put a bottle of dry gas in a full tank of gas, cover it, change the oil, put protectent and set covers on the seats if they are leather, and start it up every other week.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
If your storing the car for awhile like my situation (Nov to May) Your better off just leaving it as it sits. Do not periodicaly start it up, that forms condensation in the motor b/c your not out actually driving the car to the point where everything could burn off. Top the tank off before you put it up, dump some dry gas in it and just leave it. When your ready to take it out after winter storage flip the inertia switch in the trunk and pull the coil wire and turn it over until it builds oil pressure. Flip the inertia switch back, plug the coil in and fire it up.

mich_666

Reaction score
i heard that the old oil shud definatly be changed, cuz s**t oil eats away at engine parts...

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
No it doesnt its just that its not good to start the car up w/ dirty oil. I didnt change mine but I only have 3,000 miles on Mobil 1 so I'll change it once I have it out. Ive never heard of dirty oil eating engine parts, if that was true why would we be putting it in engines to begin with? :dunno:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81