Cobra v. Coyote swap

Aiden Fowler

Reaction score
I’m stuck at a crossroads for a future project. I have a local guy selling a 99 Cobra convertible for 9k. It’s a 1 of 38 or so spec cobra (crystal white paint, white top, parchment leather). I know it is probably one of the worse cobras because they’re underpowered but I don’t care about that. My other thought was to coyote swap my 97 GT convertible. I was hoping to spend around 9-12k on it. I know the coyote will be a larger investment but it’ll make more power. If anyone has any insight or has done this swap and want to add their troubles and success, please feel free to do so.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
The ultimate question is, do you want to keep your current car or do you want a different one? You can do some things cheap on the coyote swap, but any way you go (meaning with any generation coyote), you will have over 400 rwhp, get 20+ mpg, and have stock drive ability.

I’ve got a gen 1 (2014 f150) truck engine with mustang intake cams and a 2018 mustang intake manifold. It made 436rwhp and the best I have taken it so far is 11.64 in the 1/4 mile. Still drive it to work every day.

joemomma

Reaction score
I'd have to say the Cobra will likely hold value better if that matters. That being said, I wouldn't call it "underpowered". They were rated at 320 crank, and assuming "the fix" was done it should make that. It's no Termi, but that can easily be fixed with a SC. You could sell the GT and probably get enough out of it to get the SC and supporting mods.

joe65

Reaction score
How do you want the car to perform? Do you want lots of power and what work are you willing to do yourself? All of the things you'd do to the car to drop a coyote in really takes some time and chasing down parts. The guy i had design custom cams for me in my current teksid build has had NA cobras pretty dang close to the 400 rwhp number with cams/headers and the basic supporting mods. So many options for you. You kind of have to make a decision and go with it. I'd try and stay Cobra parts if i had one and just build the way you want for power you want. Oh and that 99 Cobra has the Teksid block so it will take lots of power.

OP
OP
A

Aiden Fowler

Reaction score
The ultimate question is, do you want to keep your current car or do you want a different one? You can do some things cheap on the coyote swap, but any way you go (meaning with any generation coyote), you will have over 400 rwhp, get 20+ mpg, and have stock drive ability.

I’ve got a gen 1 (2014 f150) truck engine with mustang intake cams and a 2018 mustang intake manifold. It made 436rwhp and the best I have taken it so far is 11.64 in the 1/4 mile. Still drive it to work every day.
I wouldn’t mind keeping the car. I love the 94-98 body but I feel as if my engine is about to go or I’m gonna have some major issue soon since it has just north of 170k miles and two accidents. I was thinking of getting a first or second gen f150 motor and eventually swapping to mustang cans and intake.

OP
OP
A

Aiden Fowler

Reaction score
How do you want the car to perform? Do you want lots of power and what work are you willing to do yourself? All of the things you'd do to the car to drop a coyote in really takes some time and chasing down parts. The guy i had design custom cams for me in my current teksid build has had NA cobras pretty dang close to the 400 rwhp number with cams/headers and the basic supporting mods. So many options for you. You kind of have to make a decision and go with it. I'd try and stay Cobra parts if i had one and just build the way you want for power you want. Oh and that 99 Cobra has the Teksid block so it will take lots of power.
I want a decent amount of power. Somewhere between 400-550. I do like both options but the coyote would make that power way easier. For the coyote swap I’d have a shop do it cause I don’t have the means to do it personally. I know with a shop it’ll be way more since it’s pretty labor heavy. I was kinda leaning more towards the cobra and getting a supercharger for it with forged internals.

OP
OP
A

Aiden Fowler

Reaction score
I'd have to say the Cobra will likely hold value better if that matters. That being said, I wouldn't call it "underpowered". They were rated at 320 crank, and assuming "the fix" was done it should make that. It's no Termi, but that can easily be fixed with a SC. You could sell the GT and probably get enough out of it to get the SC and supporting mods.
I don’t know if it has the fix done to it. I’ll have to ask the guy about it. Either way it’ll have more power then my car so it’s a win win. A supercharger is a really good option but you just can’t beat a coyote for the power

joe65

Reaction score
I am a fan of Coyotes, but I just sold mine that I had for a swap project. It only had 25k on it and dropped a valve. Not sure I'll ever know exactly why, but decided to postpone the coyote swap idea for now. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

OP
OP
A

Aiden Fowler

Reaction score
I am a fan of Coyotes, but I just sold mine that I had for a swap project. It only had 25k on it and dropped a valve. Not sure I'll ever know exactly why, but decided to postpone the coyote swap idea for now. Good luck and let us know what you decide!
I will hopefully have one or the other at the end of the year. I’m only a high schooler working as a cook so it’ll take some time but I am willing to wait and work for it. Thanks for the help

joemomma

Reaction score
I don’t know if it has the fix done to it.

It was a recall if I remember correctly - you should be able to look up the VIN for any outstanding recalls.

As far as your desired power levels - have you ever driven a car with north of 300whp, let alone 400+? In a car as light as these, that's way more than enough to get you in trouble in a hurry. Don't get fooled by power numbers - these cars will be plenty fast without gobs of power.

OP
OP
A

Aiden Fowler

Reaction score
It was a recall if I remember correctly - you should be able to look up the VIN for any outstanding recalls.

As far as your desired power levels - have you ever driven a car with north of 300whp, let alone 400+? In a car as light as these, that's way more than enough to get you in trouble in a hurry. Don't get fooled by power numbers - these cars will be plenty fast without gobs of power.
If I get the cobra I’ll be slowly adding power cause I haven’t experienced much when it comes to mustangs. And the coyote swap would definitely be something that I’d have to take time to get comfortable with so I don’t end up being a mustang joke

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The paint is in really good condition from what I can see. It’s just dirty and has a couple scratches
Be sure to ask if its original or if its been repainted. If it has been repainted then ask if they stripped the entire car or painted over the original paint. If your not aware of the curse of the crystal white, There are people here that can show you. Ford did an experiment and didn't use a primer on that color. They realized years later that it was a mistake as the paint will start to chip off of the car and once it starts you only real choice is to let it keep going or strip it and paint it.

OP
OP
A

Aiden Fowler

Reaction score
Be sure to ask if its original or if its been repainted. If it has been repainted then ask if they stripped the entire car or painted over the original paint. If your not aware of the curse of the crystal white, There are people here that can show you. Ford did an experiment and didn't use a primer on that color. They realized years later that it was a mistake as the paint will start to chip off of the car and once it starts you only real choice is to let it keep going or strip it and paint it.
Alright. Thanks for the advice. Leave it to ford to do something like that. Still love them though

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online