Codes P1233 and P0442 after fuel filter change

Johns04zonker

Reaction score
Greets all. I changed out my fuel filter on my 04 vert yesterday. Sounds innocent enough, right? I got the car onto ramps, pulled the 20 amp fuel pump fuse in the engine bay, started the car until it ran out of fuel pressure, removed the old filter, installed the new one (with it going in the right flow direction), reinstalled the fuse, fired her up, and drove her off the ramp. Now I have a "Service engine soon" light on. Autozone read the codes, which show P1233 (Fuel system disabled; inertia switch tripped or open; probable cause: open or shorted electrical condition) and P0442 (EVAP small leak/no flow condition; probable cause: defective or loose gas cap, EVAP canister or hose cracked-not connected, purge or vent solenoid defective, vacuum leak at engine). How the heck can changing out a fuel filter get me in this fix?
The car starts and runs fine, I had not fueled up since Monday, so the cap shouldn't be an issue, and did get gas today and made sure the cap went back on like it always does. I rechecked the filter for leaks on either side (none), neither hose end was stressed in any way during the removal and reassembly, I've pulled and checked the fuse (looks fine, turned it 180 degrees and reinstalled), pushed the inertia switch several times. Still shows SES light. Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to be driving down U.S. 19 tomorrow on the way to work and have the car die on me. Thanks much. Peace, John

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
Did you try clearing the codes and see it they come back?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Probably popped the code when you pulled the fuse. Clear the codes and you should be good to go

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

OP
OP
Johns04zonker

Johns04zonker

Reaction score
I didn't think to have the air breather who checked my codes clear them. Will do that tomorrow when the weekday crew is on hand. Peace, John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online