Coil Overs FTW

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well after talking with Maximum Motorsports for about 1.5 hrs, I ordered some new coil overs for my car.
It's a long story
main reason is I'm going to run on the Miller Motorsports track.
I need better rear dampening, and a higher spring rate.
So I went with matching Billisteen dual adjustables - 400 front, 280 rear hypercoils (I think)

right now I have Koni's at 300# on the front and GMS's at 200 on the rear.
they're good for street, but a bit soft for the track.
They will be up for sale in about a month.

I'll have to post up some info on the track when I get a chance, it is just awsome. and was voted best track in america 2006.
I'll be a speed club member here in a few weeks. - ya buddy! tickets to all events, club house access, parking, and open track days for my car!

Here's a link if you'all want to see it:
http://millermotorsportspark.com/track-maps.php

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Awesome. I can't wait to take my car to the track when she's all pretty.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Sweet. I've installed about a half dozen different coil-over kits, and Maximum Motorsports quality far exceeds that of any other kit I've seen. I have their kit on one of my own cars.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
your selling your old shocks and struts?

how much? i would like my car to ride a bit better than what it does now..

just getting ideas.. i want to get everything else fixed on my car but if you sell them for a good price, maybe it would be worth it.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It will be fun to run on that track.

I have to agree with Paul, I've done 3 now, and MM is much better.

DFG and Trey, what I have now are coilovers.
300# MM's on the front wiht Koni single adj struts,
rear are 200# GMS coilovers.

Great setup for running on the street.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Dalamar, If you don't have one already - might I suggest a MM adjustable rear swaybar? I have found this to be one of the best bang-for-the-buck suspension mods you can get. It has a huge impact on your ability to tune in/out your oversteer. My SCCA racecar runs something similar to MM unit, but it's just a standard Stockcar Products one since it is backhalved. You can play around with different bars and different settings to get the car where you want it - and no more broken swaybars! :)

I didn't know that Bilstein made DA shocks? What model? I'm running Bilsteins on my weekend warrior car, and Koni DA/SA on the racecar. I'm very happy with both.

Paul.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'll have to check with them on the model, one thing I liked is they will come pre adjusted :)
We figured that I'll want the double adjustablity, and higher spring rates, so the billisteens fit the picture.

Adjustable rear swaybar, I havn't looked into that much. I've got an Eibach on there now.
I've read that with the torque arm, understeer becomes the limiting factor.
How does the rear bar help understeer?

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
With an adjustable bar, you can tune rear stiffness, and thusly, control your understeer/oversteer to a certain extent. I plan on putting one on my normal daily driver eventually, but there's a couple of items ahead of it in the list right now. :)

If you want an excellent resource for tuning suspension, might I suggest the book "Race Car Vehicle Dynamics" by Milliken. It's a well-written book, and although it can be a bit complex at times, you don't need a degree in engineering to understand it. I found it very useful.

Paul.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
cool, thanks paul, I'll be checking into it soon.
Are you near the midwest / west. you gotta come out to the miller motorsports park!

Sir Charles said:
I just picked up a set for my '96.
cool man, you get them on yet?

ripper

Reaction score
Geesh Jeff i looked everywere and cant find the 1/4 mile strip :dunno:

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
cool, thanks paul, I'll be checking into it soon.
Are you near the midwest / west. you gotta come out to the miller motorsports park!

I live in Phoenix. We've got Firebird Raceway, Phoenix International Raceway, Arizona Motorsports Park (at least we used to), Speedworld, Bondurant School, St. Johns, SIR, and others all within a few hours drive of Phoenix! :) My car hauls some serious ass down the main straight of the Firebird Main course. :D

Paul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online