-:Coilover Options/What To Buy:-

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So, most people on here know my car and it's general use (being a street driven race car, I'm a "light to light" guy more than track...but doing so with style.) So, with that in mind. What should I go with for coilovers? My car rides like shit now and I'm ready to straighten it out this season. Right now I'm on Tokico foxbody struts with Tokico SN shocks with MaxSpeed springs that are cut severely. I don't mind the rough ride whatsoever, all three of my vehicles ride hard, I like it. The Mustang is as I just said, my Civic is on cut springs because cheap race ricer, and my Silverado is on stock suspension with cranked torsion bars and rear blocks. I'm looking for something that will give me the drop I'm looking for but ride better than cut springs which, I understand, isn't hard with coilovers in general.

So give me a hand here, guys. I'd like to grab something here pretty soon.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Im planning on running MM coilovers up front with 10" 325# springs that I can hopefully get on this weekend. I also plan on getting MM rear coilovers within the next month and am going to give them a call to see what springs they suggest. "The internet says" this will be a decent setup for street and aggressive driving so we will see. Im in the same boat as you right now with cut springs and a rough ride.

Im sure someone with real experience will chime in

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Anything but raceland will be fine honestly for a street car. UPR, Strange, MM, Griggs, MMR. As long as you have a decent spring rate (250-350) the ride should be comfortable. Mine rides very smooth, believe it or not. Racelands just lack adjustability and their camber plates aren't the best. Also they are on the softer side. Depending on how low you want to go, you may need some drop brackets for the rear coilovers. Either that or stay with springs in the rear.

OP
OP
whiplash473

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Im planning on running MM coilovers up front with 10" 325# springs that I can hopefully get on this weekend. I also plan on getting MM rear coilovers within the next month and am going to give them a call to see what springs they suggest. "The internet says" this will be a decent setup for street and aggressive driving so we will see. Im in the same boat as you right now with cut springs and a rough ride.

Im sure someone with real experience will chime in

Anything but raceland will be fine honestly for a street car. UPR, Strange, MM, Griggs, MMR. As long as you have a decent spring rate (250-350) the ride should be comfortable. Mine rides very smooth, believe it or not. Racelands just lack adjustability and their camber plates aren't the best. Also they are on the softer side. Depending on how low you want to go, you may need some drop brackets for the rear coilovers. Either that or stay with springs in the rear.

Good info. I know I could find this info online all over but I wanted personal opinions from our stance guys on here. I'll do some digging around to see what I come up with and post if I have more question. Thanks, guys.

BruhBrahBrad

Reaction score
I also have a question about this, I see on Summit that I can buy the Strange Coilover kit, but it doesnt include springs, where can I order some good springs for a street car?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I also have a question about this, I see on Summit that I can buy the Strange Coilover kit, but it doesnt include springs, where can I order some good springs for a street car?

Eibach, Griggs, maximum motorsports, H&R, etc etc

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
The most commonly used springs are eibach, hyperco, and qa1 but us long as they are the right ID for your coilovers they should work

alex302

Reaction score
i run BC coilovers on mine and there great

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score

Check ebay. Search by your desired springs rate and spring height. 14-250, 12-350 etc

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I have a 12-350s at home. Gotta check, they would be hypercoils.

Caboose302

Reaction score
Summit has hypercoils. That's where I bought all of mine coilover parts. If I had to do it again I would get MM kit with Blisteins or Koni SAs at the least.

McCloud

Reaction score
I'm running MM coilover kit up front with 10" 300lb springs, H&R race springs on MM adjustable RLCAs and Bilsteins all the way around. I also have Eibach swaybars front and rear. Car rides extremely smooth and will handle a turn faster than I am willing to drive the car.

The car was setup to handle the curves and be a comfortable street car by a guy who races American Iron series. The ride height could be set up lower but he asked me "Do you want it to look good or do you want it to handle?"

...I'm not a stance guy.

I know you're probably looking to go really, really low but I was really happy with H&R SS springs and Bilsteins on my Mach 1. It was very comfortable over bumps and wasn't as big of a hit on the wallet as my setup on the 96.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
If I had to do it all over again, I would buy BC coilovers. If I ever do anything to a Mustang again, this will be the first thing I change.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Why is that? What was the previous kit?

I've had UPR and strange. I don't really like rear coilovers because you have to buy drop brackets to make them go low enough for a car to look decent and they do make more noise. Fronts are ok, but for one thing I don't have CC plates on the front of my SN95 so they make noise. BC's are the whole package deal and I LOVE my BC's on my Subaru.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I know that I may not be as low as you are, but MM stuff has worked for me in the back. I've added a helper spring setup to help with spring being seated throughout the range of motion, and cut the bumpstops in half to give me more travel, but they've been good. I'm using Koni SA shocks, and they have been able to handle quite a bit of rate. Right now I'm running 300 lbs spring in the rear on stock Koni SA, and 450 in the front, again on stock Koni SA.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Got my front coilovers on yesterday [MENTION=17027]whiplash473[/MENTION] and I am extremely happy with the improvement in ride and handling. The front is pretty stiff but it handles bumps well. I think the biggest difference I have noticed is the decrease in nose dive under hard braking.

OP
OP
whiplash473

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Got my front coilovers on yesterday whiplash473 and I am extremely happy with the improvement in ride and handling. The front is pretty stiff but it handles bumps well. I think the biggest difference I have noticed is the decrease in nose dive under hard braking.

Is that the MM setup you mentioned earlier?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online