Coilover springs are not all created equal.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
So, I've an interesting discovery the other day. Below are two springs, one from QA1 (silver), the other is a Hypercoil (blue). Both are same length (10 inches), same rate (450lbs) and same inside diameter (2.5 inches). What's different is that QA1 spring has 10 coils, while the HyperCoil has only 7. This tells me that the metal in the QA1 is so much weaker than the HyperCoil, that they require more coils to achieve the same rate. This also creates another problem. Travel is cut down significantly. Since the springs will compress at the same rate, given that they are both 450 lbs, QA1 will bottom out first, since it has more coils, creating coil bind condition, and costing traction in that corner. I used to think that coilover springs were coilover springs. As long as the rate and length is the same, then the springs will be identical. I just found out that's not the case.

30scxsj.jpg

Magic

Reaction score
I wonder who actually makes the QA1 springs.

Measure the wire diameter between the two as well. A larger diameter will also increase spring rate.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
By diameter, do you mean the coil thickness? If so, it looks from the pictures that coil thickness is higher on QA1 spring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.