Cold air intake

MSTCBRA

Reaction score
Hey all, I almost ordered a JLT CAI but inquired with the manufacturer and learned it won’t fit with my factory strut tower brace. Are there any CAIs that fit?

shovel

Reaction score
you won't get one gnat-power from an aftermarket CAi anyway... they're jewelry.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
^agreed. Best thing to do is replace the stock filter with a k and n and just remove the air box. I had an old jlt and just threw it away.

Attachments

• 20210827_095720.jpg
    20210827_095720.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 11

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
i may have the tube part of the cold air intake
take a picture of the engine compartment maybe the one i have fits

i have one for my cobra and mach1 and my mach 1 engine in a 98 gt
all JLT

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Best set up for the money is the stock tube with a k and n filter with a 90mm lightning maf. It doesn't look the best but it performs

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Having the air filter sitting in the engine bay is the opposite of cold air intake.
Hi there,
When your vehicle is idling or sitting in traffic, the air in the engine bay can get quite hot compared to the air in the fender well and ambient. However, when the vehicle is moving, there is usually some air movement that helps to cool down the engine bay. It's difficult to accurately measure the temperature difference between ambient and engine bay temperatures when the vehicle is moving, as it can vary based on a number of factors, such as the speed of the vehicle, the outside temperature, and the design of the engine bay. However, it's safe to say that there is still some difference in temperature even when the vehicle is moving, but I'm curious at WOT if the difference is that great.

Thanks
Michael Plummer

tinnocker

Reaction score
My two cents worth: Yes, the factory is probably more efficient, slightly more horsepower, probably not enough for a seat of the pants feel, but it looks like crap. If you enjoy looking at your engine or showing it off , go with the shine. You defiantly will not feel the loss in horsepower. If you are putting it on the strip or autocross then keep the factory and a few more ponies.

Slice

Reaction score
20220321_143520.jpg

The factory setup is actually cold air because it draws in from the outside. But you can still get some bling under the hood without drawing the hot air from the engine compartment. The key is to not have that air filter inside the engine bay. See photo.

badass98svt

Reaction score
View attachment 25514

The factory setup is actually cold air because it draws in from the outside. But you can still get some bling under the hood without drawing the hot air from the engine compartment. The key is to not have that air filter inside the engine bay. See photo.
The metal piping isn't helping at all either.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the big debate now is about hot the metal pipes get hotter than the plastic, heating the air.

Slice

Reaction score
Well they may heat up if you're sitting idling but I imagine if you're driving they would stay cool. I guess the thing to do is go for a rip on the road and then pull over and pop the hood and put your hand on it and see how it feels temperature wise

badass98svt

Reaction score
the big debate now is about hot the metal pipes get hotter than the plastic, heating the air.

It's definitely not a newer debate. It's been a topic since CAIs came around.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
CAI was always the first thing I saw people install for years, and then would swear they thought they could almost kinda sorta feel more power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online