Cold Air Intakes for 97 Cobra

Iceman12

Reaction score
Hey all, been busy for a while, I have a question. Has anybody found/noticed a cold air intake system, or just a better flowing pre throttle body intake system taht does NOT require me to take out my strut tower brace. I like my brace, looks good, and the front end is nice and solid. That and I've seen cobras where people took it out, holes left empty in strut towers,a nd the engine looked almost naked. Well, I was just wondering if anyone knew of one that would route around the brace somehow. thanks.

OP
OP
I

Iceman12

Reaction score
Unfortunatly, I just cehcked JLP's website. THey have 2 kits, one they call Ram air, one they call Cold air, and both have little disclaimers that say the factory brace must be removed. One that would work is the budget setup, but that is just a big airfilter clamped onto my mass air meter, I was hopeing for a set up that included a better flowing air tube as well. Thanks for the idea though. I'm gunna keep looking around, and listening for more ideas.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Sorry, I cant think of any others that would allow this to be done........if I find one I'll let you know, good luck :thumb:

Nick

Reaction score
On a Cobra the JLT's do not allow you to keep the brace. The WMS kits allow you to keep the brace on a cobra. As do others but the JLT is the best one in my opinion.

However, I have been told if you get the true cold air and not the ram air, then the brace will fit. But according to their website it wil not and I have no experience with it.

I know the ram air on my car does not allow room for my brace.

OP
OP
I

Iceman12

Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a WMS kit? I might just be having a big brain fart, but I can't think of what that is right now. Thanks.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Iceman12 said:
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a WMS kit? I might just be having a big brain fart, but I can't think of what that is right now. Thanks.

Grab your MM&FF or 5.0 magazine and look in the back, its called Western Motorsports they sell coldair kits, and ones that come with mass air meters also (95mm) The package goes for 450 total.............not a bad deal.

68Stang

Reaction score
The UPR power tube has received good press from those who wanted a JLT but also wanted to retain their strut tower brace.
PT_96_98_LRG.GIF

http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=122

No, I have no affiliation with UPR, as I personally run a JLT RAI in my Cobra.

badass98svt

Reaction score
WMS, UPR, and C&L all make cai's that allow you to retain the stb

tomustang

Reaction score
Just remove the brace, unless you want it for looks all it does is add more weight over the heavy engine and get in the way

OP
OP
I

Iceman12

Reaction score
Well got the UPR power tube onto the car yesterday. Fit well, although I had to pull the strut tower brace off to put it on, it bolted right back on over the intake. I must say it does not look like the one in the picture. I mean, the assembly is the same, but mine was painted a light silver not black, and came with a BRIGHT blue filter. O well, doesn't look bad, just not as nice as the pic. (also there was no UPR sticker on it either) Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. 8)

BTW tomustang : I pulled off the brace and put it back on yesterday, and I can safely say that if I lost 10 pounds of driver I would notice more of a difference in car weight than removing the brace, and since I had to push on the bar a lil to get the bolt holes to line back up that tells me it is actually bracing something, because the strut tower brace seemed to relax a lil (maybe 1/16Th " ) once removed. I for one refuse to remove anything that strengthens the chassis of my car. In fact more braces are planned. ;)

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Where did you get the UPR Power Tube from, and how much? I want to keep my strut tower brace as well.

G

GREG@SN95

just get the tube and a k&k filter... a bend before the MAF has been is no good... it actually makes yer car run worse

bottem line CAI = crap...

97vertstang

Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
Where did you get the UPR Power Tube from, and how much? I want to keep my strut tower brace as well.
uprproducts.com

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
JLT are supposed to be nice, I know on the 03 Cobras they actually do make a good diffrence.

Yep they are a high quality item, I have one myself :thumb:

as far as the ones for a 03 Cobra........I would think any cold air kit would show a good power increase since those Cobras are blown :dunno:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online