Common Engine Oil Leak Spots?

Ballistic

Reaction score
Not too long ago i fixed my transmission leak, now i noticed Engine Oil spots.

Before i call a friend to use his lift and try and find the leak are there any common areas on our engines that likes to leak?

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
I feel like its coming somewhere in the front but never know..

XdCd7wF.jpg

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Oh heck....I know where the oil leak is! Its very common too. Its that darn oil filter housing....p.o.s. Its notorious for leaks. My suggestion, swap that housing out for the normal filter/water neck. It has to be from a mustang and not from just a 4.6l. The mustang water neck is correctly angled to the proper location.

The filter housing you have is serviceable, but im not 100% if premade gaskets are still made. Those housings were specific to 96Gt and Cobra's. Im thinking cobra got them for a couple of years. Im not even sure what its technical name is. Someone will post back, im sure. Common problem!

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
Oh heck....I know where the oil leak is! Its very common too. Its that darn oil filter housing....p.o.s. Its notorious for leaks. My suggestion, swap that housing out for the normal filter/water neck. It has to be from a mustang and not from just a 4.6l. The mustang water neck is correctly angled to the proper location.

The filter housing you have is serviceable, but im not 100% if premade gaskets are still made. Those housings were specific to 96Gt and Cobra's. Im thinking cobra got them for a couple of years. Im not even sure what its technical name is. Someone will post back, im sure. Common problem!

What do you mean by a normal one, like what year would i be looking for? Mines a 97GT.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Normal like Ford did away with the oil cooler filter housing after a few years. Ill grab a pic of one to show you.

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
Got it cleaned and drove it to work, cant seem to find the leak yet will have to keep checking on it

BaS8CVZ.png

We think its Part Number: 6L621 Adapter Gasket, doesn't seem to be coming from the Engine Oil Filter Adapter Gasket Part Number: 6840

I1FHwVv.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.