Comparing shifters

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A while back I replaced the stock shifter and linkage with the SVE short throw with white cue ball. I’m not as happy with it as I hoped to be, finding it a bit “ratchety” between gears. Thought it would be more of a a slide-n-slap into gear motion.

So, I saw, then researched, the
Hurst shifter and it looked like it might just have the throwing motion I prefer. So, ordered it. Will switch it out tomorrow and see. Anybody share experiences??

Last edited:

07GtS197

Reaction score
Good luck. I had a pro 5.0 in my 02 and it was quite smooth. My buddy had a Tri ax in his 04 and it was notchy, I didn’t like that. I’ve never ran a hurst so I can’t speak for them but I did have one on my 07 Gt and hated it. Apples to oranges so don’t take my word.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just sold a hurst from my old trans going to the t56. I liked the general feel of the shifter although sometimes when I would downshift to 2nd it would kick out of gear. The handle was also too close to the dash to me my knuckles could it it if I had them in a certain position. I ended up putting a pro 5.0 handle in place to correct it.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I didn’t like the handle on the pro 5.0, it’s just way too short. So I ended up putting a steeda tri ax handle on the pro 5.0 base. Best of both worlds.

PinkieT

Reaction score
I didn’t like the handle on the pro 5.0, it’s just way too short. So I ended up putting a steeda tri ax handle on the pro 5.0 base. Best of both worlds.
The PO of my car had a pro 5.0 with a stubby handle too. It now has a Steeda lever and a Hurst T-handle shift "knob". Works fine for me.

07GtS197

Reaction score
The PO of my car had a pro 5.0 with a stubby handle too. It now has a Steeda lever and a Hurst T-handle shift "knob". Works fine for me.
I never liked the T handles. I drove an 87 with one years ago and had trouble for whatever reason. I don’t know I just don’t care for them. To each their own. But as said it seems like the best combo is the pro 5.0 base with the Steeda handle. Interesting since the pro 5.0 and tri ax look identical.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I believe I know (or can visualize) the T-handle, but the others? I have no idea what they look like! Anyone willing to provide pictures to accompany descriptions? Especially the knuckle-buster setup

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you want a nice knob check out racesegn.com. I didn't think it mattered but its one of those things that will spoil you like power windows did.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. Power windows and cruise control!

Thanks, ttocs, I’ll check out racesegn.com

Whew! Lil’ pricey. Great looking, but $$$

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know... I had a really cheap crappy shifter from ebay. I didn't think it would matter but but it was just really light and the deal breaker was that it made a clicking noise every time I shifted. You can hear it here in this vid at the 13-14 sec mark when I down shift before I nail it. It kinda sounded like a cheap shotgun racking.
So I decided to splurge a tad and get one of the raceseng. I didn't get the one I wanted(stratos with leather cover) instead I went with the spherology and I am not sure if I was happy or sad that it felt so different from the other. Beside not making the annoying noise shifts just felt more solid and satisfying for sure. I actually had that shifter on order when I made that video, and it was during that pull that the trans started making unhappy noises. I got the shifter 2 days later when I was already looking into a t56 swap.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I hope you like the hurst shifter, I did not. I swapped the shifter for a pro 5.0 and kept the long hurst handle with the cue ball knob. It’s better but I really like the way the tri-ax feels. I will very soon be swapping back to a tri-ax with the tall hurst handle. A lot of folks really like the mgw shifters and they offer a really tight throw, but the handles are restricted to only mgw handles because of how they mount. I didn’t quite care for those shifters.

This is one of those personal opinion matters, much like exhaust note.

joemomma

Reaction score
I' had a Hurst Billet Competition on my '06. It was fine, but it would grind 2nd on a really aggressive shift sometimes. I had a Pro 5.0 in my '99, which I loved. It was fairly notchy, however but I kind of liked it. It really gave positive feedback, and I never missed a gear with it. My '94 also has a Hurst (PO installed), and while it's fine, I don't love it. As mentioned, with the ball shift knob, 1st gear is nearly in the dash. You have to be cautious when going to first. The solution might be a different handle on the Hurst, if you don't like notchy. I can't attest to the robustness of it, as I've not really gotten after it too much in this car. I'm scared of the T5 taking a shit on me.

joe65

Reaction score
mine has the pro 5.0 shifter and i'm using a steeda tri ax lever which is ok. I want to try the MGW shifter. I've not heard anyone say they didn't like it. I like the stock shifter a lot, but its does have too much play, but for me the pro 5.0 is too stiff. I also have a stage 2 Spec clutch which i'm ditching when it makes sense. Just too much pedal effort and the feel is just not right for me. Also just switched from the blue ball to the stock mach ball.

Attachments

• image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 4

joemomma

Reaction score
mine has the pro 5.0 shifter and i'm using a steeda tri ax lever which is ok. I want to try the MGW shifter. I've not heard anyone say they didn't like it. I like the stock shifter a lot, but its does have too much play, but for me the pro 5.0 is too stiff. I also have a stage 2 Spec clutch which i'm ditching when it makes sense. Just too much pedal effort and the feel is just not right for me. Also just switched from the blue ball to the stock mach ball.

The S197 crew all run the MGW. It is apparently leaps and bounds better than everything else out there. I would have picked one up, but they're about $100 higher than other offerings.

joe65

Reaction score
The S197 crew all run the MGW. It is apparently leaps and bounds better than everything else out there. I would have picked one up, but they're about $100 higher than other offerings.
yeah that's the deal. also the reason i haven't bought one yet.

TrickVert

Reaction score
I had the Hurst in my '87,and liked it just fine. In my '95, I have the Steeda Tri-Ax, and have absolutely no complaints about it.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the Hurst shifter arrived today. Will install tomorrow morning as it’s too dark now and I have the next 2 days off so I’ve been doing some 12oz curls tonight.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Always something!! Now I can’t get the shifter plate off to replace it with the new one

Never mind, got it!C8C8DF09-CF93-4E12-8E53-D2D358497045.jpeg

Attachments

• A908B156-9A96-4C63-9DD4-B106FB2CA240.jpeg
    A908B156-9A96-4C63-9DD4-B106FB2CA240.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 60AC1461-417F-49D4-AF57-A2F576CAD760.jpeg
    60AC1461-417F-49D4-AF57-A2F576CAD760.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members