Complete rebuild on T45...same problems. Opinions??

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
[MENTION=20210]lwarrior1016[/MENTION] youre talking about in the tailshaft housing where the actual shifter mounts correct? Where the ball on the underside of the shifter fits into the rectangular shifter mechanism with the spring and ball roller?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Yes you will remove the shifter from the transmission. I'll get a picture of mine here in just a minute.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
[MENTION=12060]BMAC96GT[/MENTION] pictured below is what im asking about. Youll notice the split pin in there. That's what connects the shifter to the linkage.

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
[MENTION=20210]lwarrior1016[/MENTION] Yep. Just double checking. I haven't checked that since I've got the rebuilt one back in, but when I pulled my old shifter off initially, there was no problem there. I could easily see how that could be a problem though

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I was actually handling the synco and syncro ring, scratching my head......im lost on this.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Can you shift it all the way up and down with the car shut off? Then can you do it with the car idling?

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Can you shift it all the way up and down with the car shut off? Then can you do it with the car idling?

Yep. It's smooth as silk if I shift like that. Whenever the problem happens, I basically have to coast with the clutch in and work it in and out of gear til I can finally feel it fully engage. Once it engages, it goes in and out of gear fine until the next time I do some spirited driving then the gear gets messed up again.

The problem with this scenario is how it's 2nd and 4th only and those gears have different synchros while 1st and 3rd are fine. Zak and I have been talking and I'm going to make better videos with me narrating what I'm doing to try to get this figured out. He's even mentioned sending me a different transmission to see if it's the transmission or something else.

I've never heard of anyone having this problem

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
I also found out that these problems are consistent across 2nd, 4th, and reverse. My shifter stops are backed all the way out with no change. I found out that when 4th messes up, I slowed down and tried 2nd and it felt the same way as 4th. I then stopped, and felt that reverse felt the same as the other two gears. When one gets messed up, all of them get messed up. When one gear is shifting fine, all of them shift fine.

Wichers123

Reaction score
Huh that's crazy man. Ok let's think about this one rod controls them all. The lower plate with the ball and spring set the shift pattern and the gate in the front of the trans decides what gear when pulled into that position. Now the question that needs to be asked is what parts did he reuse from original trans that had the same problem?

Wichers123

Reaction score
This is all pretty fresh in my mind as I just installed forks and gates into my trans.
e9d8d541ff756b5c3ed5086b49d95b4c_zps9lpbn0v0.jpg

132d5411d21490b06d9a113c446b5737_zpsf8rgudne.jpg

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
I mean, every single thing that was replaced wasn't on my invoice. The major stuff is on there so it's hard to tell what exactly could be the culprit

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I mean, every single thing that was replaced wasn't on my invoice. The major stuff is on there so it's hard to tell what exactly could be the culprit

Ok, so our problem is only after driving it hard. While the gears are all jacked up, you can turn the car off and shift into all the gears just fine. Then to make it work again while driving you have to work the clutch and go in and out of gear until it completely engages. Do I have everything straight?

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
[MENTION=20210]lwarrior1016[/MENTION] for the most part, that is correct. Except, I've never turned the car off to see if the problems would stay the same while the car is off. I could almost guarantee that the gear would stay messed up with the car off until I work it in and out of gear and get it fully engaging again. I was just stating earlier that shifting with the car off is never a problem.

And yes, when the problems arise, I coast with the clutch in and work it in and out of gear til it fully engages. If it doesn't engage and I let the clutch out, it grinds.

To try to give you a mental picture, it feels like the synchro gears aren't meshing, and I keep working it in and out til finally the gear seats. The synchros have been checked so that's not the problem, but that's just what it feels like. It feels internal

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
[MENTION=20979]OLD H2S[/MENTION] After going through it a second time, there were no visual problems. Whatever was happening, was only messing up under driving conditions, due to heat or vibration...etc. After tons of research, I never found another problem like mine. Seems like it's pretty rare. I sent my trans back to him and he is basically just going to use it as a core. I'm getting a street heat build with reverse fix from Zak this time

searay86

Reaction score
Oddly I'm having close to the same problem. Just had the clutch/flywheel/tob/input bearing/both seals/fork/pivot stud replaced and I have problems with 2 and 4th. I cant downshift into 2nd unless I rev match perfectly or it locks me out. but then it goes into 4th no problem but pops out. If I hold the stock shifter down though its fine. Reverse 1 3 5 is fine and shifting up in 2 is fine too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online