Compound/Polish/Wax Exterior

TheOdessa

Reaction score
Well the 20 year old paint is starting to show her age. The black has seen better days and the hood and trunk especially need some love due to oxidation.

I've had the tools and such for a while but never actually did it because of fear. Paint work and I never got along. Sure I can wash and clay bar and wax but never did this before.

Am I in for a bad time trying to compound/polish 20 year old black paint?

I have the following

Meguiar's DA polisher Gv110V2
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
Meguiar's Ultimate liquid wax
Meguiar's yellow pad for compound
Meguiar's black for polish and wax
Chemical guys pad prep spray

Yes I'm a Meguiar's fan. Used to be a chemical guys fan boy but found them to be over priced and just too many options that basically do the same thing. Any tips before I get this done?

It's already been washed and clay bared. It's sitting in my garage waiting for the next step. Trying to pshc myself up.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Do you have any pics? The oxidation won’t come out, as far as I know maybe polish will help but if its bad enough only respraying it will fix it. If the paint is in good enough shape polishing and waxing will all that you need to do.

I’m a novice as well but its not hard at all unless you go crazy with a buffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TheOdessa

TheOdessa

Reaction score
I took pics but I’ve learned that I hate detailing.

I’ll wash the car and wax and keep up with it but I learned that I greatly dislike detailing. Such as compounding and polishing. I’d much rather wrench or fix or upgrade than deal with this again.

I’ll post pics of my progress. This 20 year old paint is still 20 years old but damn my previous owner and damn myself for not doing it sooner. Feel like I should have just repainted the damn thing lol

Werecow

Reaction score
I never got to use a polisher on one, but I know Meguiar's is some of the best stuff out there. I did use it when I was just a young buck and doing detailing for some extra $$. I usually used Meguiar's if the paint was in really good shape to begin with, but I used Mother's carnuba paste if it needed a lil extra attention..

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I always loved and used meguiar's myself and still do. One day I went to a show after spending a good deal of time starting with glaze and moving up to 2 different waxes. I thought it never looked better. At that show they gave a sample of p21 wax. I didn't think it would be able to make any difference after what I had just done to it but I was amazed after doing a small section that I could see a difference and ended up doing the entire car. Its not a super long lasting wax but it is super easy on/off and just gives the deepest shine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/P21S-Conco...BIAAOSwOU1eodVj:sc:USPSFirstClass!47630!US!-1

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
I would not recommend Chemical Guys polishes and pads after trying them on my Audi. Worked okay on the Mustang. They came with the Porter Cable 7424XP DA polisher I bought. Their two products that I'm really enjoying right now are their VRP for tires and trim, and HydroSlick hybrid wax.

May also want to check out Turtle Wax's new products. They've come out with a new line of products the past year that's an insane bang for the buck. The Seal N Shine Spray sealant is getting rave reviews.

I'll probably go to Sonax polishes and Lake Country pads for next year.

If you want to skip acid wheel washes, I would highly recommend P&S Brakebuster. Cheap, cut it 1:5, works better than any non-acid wheel and tire wash I've ever used.

Highlandchef

Reaction score
This link is from Mequiar’s UK channel but it is probably the best beginners tutorial I’ve see for the process.

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
Just wanted to update that Lake Country CCS pads and Sonax polished and compounds made correcting my mom’s Z3 so much easier than working with Chemical Guys products.

Attachments

• 2E5D6A90-14FF-4F4E-86DA-9DDFD8C18ED5.jpeg
    2E5D6A90-14FF-4F4E-86DA-9DDFD8C18ED5.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
TheOdessa

TheOdessa

Reaction score
I appreciate all the replies. Yes I’ve learned that chemicals guys stuff sucks. I’ve also learned meguiars is such a huge bank for the buck.

I’m still into this project as work has been hectic but I have the day off today and hope to put a huge dent in it.

Meguiars microfiber DA kit has been a god send. It’s so insanely easy to use and really hard to mess up versus pads. It cuts great, even on extremely stubborn areas, and has insanely cut down on the time needed.

Aside from that kit I’m using Poor Boys World Blackhole glaze, black fire sealant, and black fire hybrid wax.

The plastic trim pieces will be ceramic coated (true ceramic) as I hate touching them up after each wash and the top will be sealed with Wolfgang sealant.

I went higher end on waxes and sealants to give longevity and cut down on keeping up. Black cars are a pain in the ass to keep clean and I wanted to not do this again. The paint being 20 years old was a nightmare to correct. It was a steep learning curve but once I got it I was rocking and rolling.

I’ll post a full review and write up when done. I’ve never seen my car look this good after the over 10 years I’ve owned it and it’s exciting.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I got some chem guys pads and wasn't happy with them at all either. They seemed way to stiff compared to my old ones and I could never dial them in.

OP
OP
TheOdessa

TheOdessa

Reaction score
I got some chem guys pads and wasn't happy with them at all either. They seemed way to stiff compared to my old ones and I could never dial them in.

Same here. I will say I used the hell out of their heavy compounding hexlogic pad. That of really did save my ass on the hood because the scratches were so deep and the oxidation was insane. I went over the hood 4 total times til it was a mirror again. Their other pads were not friendly to me.

I feel like I could have got the same results from meguiars deep cut pad but I didn’t discover their system until after the hood was done.

It took me so many hours to get this car compounded. The oxidation and swirls and issues were so compounded over the years. It’s truly nuts what wax and wax/wash products will hide. I will say once an area is corrected and polished the mirror reflection is out of this world. I almost freaked out internally because I never thought I could get that on my car with it’s current paint.

I was an insane noob going into this, and hell still am, but now I know what products work, what to look for, and how to properly take care of a cars finish going forward.

Also learned that cheap products are that for a reason, popular products just have damn good marketing (looking at you CG) and meguiars is popular for a reason. The bang for the buck on their products is just so large. I look forward to trying more of their products. I really love their Ultimate interior dressing. Such a fantastic long lasting look without attracting dust. Other then that I never really used their stuff.

More to come.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online