Confusion

NDplayer

Reaction score
Alright I have heard everything I can possibly wrap my head around about doing a PI head swap. I have come to the conclusion that irregardless of the power it is a great way to set your engine up for future tunning, blower, internals, whatever. But my confusion is how much everyone says it costs. For me I am looking at used PI heads for 300 used PI manifold for $80, then I need all the instale stuff, give or take around $200, and then doing it myseld over the weekend, a.k.a early friday until late sunday, screwing something up along the way, and everything else included it seems like you could get this job done yourself for around $500??? Has anyone seen this happen I am a college athlete and have very little time and money so if anyone could enlightenment as to whether I am right or wrong I can reward them with tickets to an ND hockey game????? Thanks everyone and by the way this is the most kick ass forum I have found in my hours of searching.......

Noah

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
I'll be the 1st to say, save your money and buy new parts and do it right. You are probably looking closer to $1000.00. It would be better to just find a low-mileage PI motor and swap engines.

If your looking for a cheaper route, just get some PI cams and PI intake. That will put you close to the same HP as the 99+'s. The heads are only worth about 10-15HP, and that is from the compression jump. The cams and intake is where the power is at. And that you could do for under $500.00.

Also if your planning on a S/C I wouldnt go with the PI heads unless you plan on forging your motor.

281powered

Reaction score
yah i have to agree with OUTLAW97GT above post. thats pretty much what i did just the pi intake and cams and it was a big power gain. once you star messing with the heads it can get pricey for very minumal gains.

OP
OP
N

NDplayer

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, are the PI heads rather sketchy, as in they are prone to problems etc. if you use older used ones?? Also is it that much extra work to replace the heads, it seems like once you have the intake off and are working on the cams it is worth just plopping on a pair of used heads and gaining the extra power? It just seems like a wasted opportunity or is it just really that much extra work...and that not worth it to use the used heads???

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think It's worth it.
your looking at 40-60 rwhp gain straight stock swap.

you can gain this much from NPI cams and intake swap.
but are still limited if you want to gain more power after this.
What you have to decide, is if you just want about 50 HP NA, or and how much more you want down the raod.

It's a long job if you haven't done it before.
It sounds like you already have the used heads & intake located.
you'll also need fluids to replace, possibly front cover gaskets.
the head bolts are torque-to-yield, so you should get new one's.
you may have to tap the water temperature sensor.

I had help from a friend doing mine, he had experience (works at ford)

you'll want help for some parts of the job.
getting the new head on with the dipstick tube through the hedder, PITA with 2 ppl, dunno if 1 guy could get it
all lined up. the other tricky part is making sure the cam chains are on correctly.

Other than that I"d recommend you get instructions or a manual that goes over the whole process, and take it one step at a time.

If you're interested in reading up on some more info on this site:
I wrote up what I think about the PI swap:
http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=1292.0

And there's thread on PI vs. NPI.
http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=116.0

There's other guys that have done it too, I'm sure they'll pipe up in here.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well your cost avg is alittle low...heads you found for $300...its gonna cost you a few bucks to have them checked out at a machine shop and you should change your valve seals on used heads. Intake for $80...thats cheap, is it an updated PI intake with aluminum front crossover or all plastic which isn't worth the time/effort since it will break. Now come the little things that add up...head changing kit $120, header gaskets $25, PI heater hose/PI water pump nipple/o ring/PI alt bracket $40 then RTV, Coolant new Tstat etc...i did my swap with used parts for @$800. I would not use used parts if you don't know what your looking for. Save up for new parts...and if your really smart you will skip the regular PI swap and save for Ported heads and better cams because you will want them eventually and will waste money doing it more then once. Save about $2000 and do it right the first time.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you want some real power............do a 4 valve swap and forget the PI 2 valve :p

OP
OP
N

NDplayer

Reaction score
Well I think for the time and money factor and because I plan on scrapping this engine and going to something newer and more powerful after I get out of college and start a real job I am thinking the intake and cams is a good way to go. As I agree with you all getting good heads is worth the money. Also I am not a mechanical expert and do not have access to anyone that is the manifold and cam job seems like a good way to learn a bit and not get to deep. I got the Haynes manual and everything, so all I need is somebody with tools and a shop. Any good leads to where to find cams, like comp cams or something and price is a factor I was hoping to keep all of this around $500. Thanks for all the help.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard good things about the Crower NPI cams.

OP
OP
N

NDplayer

Reaction score
So after a lot of looking the best I can find is new 4.6 PI cams, is it bad to get used cams?? Some guy at a parts place said it was a pretty bad idea. Anyway If you guys see anything on used intakes or cams let me know I am rushing this thing so I can get an experienced racing friend to help me out with the install in Canada in two weeks. Anything could help.....

OP
OP
N

NDplayer

Reaction score
So I went with just the intake and cams, already spent 480 finishing cost will probably be around 520, you all were right the parts were 160 alone, damn ford dealerships. SO I am putting everything in next weekend I will let you all know how it goes. By the way when I take the VIbration dampener off do I need to use a special tool or can I just pull it off by hand???

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You'll need a puller (3 prong)
you can rent them from checker or whoever.

good luck.

Foster98GT

Reaction score
My car has around 115,000 miles on it. I dont feel comfortable spending money on heads, cams and a intake or supercharger only for something else too break. Im gonna drive her as she is until something major happens then do a motor swap.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Foster98GT said:
My car has around 115,000 miles on it. I dont feel comfortable spending money on heads, cams and a intake or supercharger only for something else too break. Im gonna drive her as she is until something major happens then do a motor swap.
Thats one way to look at it....these 4.6's are barely broken in at 100k...i would have no problem if i was you adding a PI head/cam/intake swap.

OP
OP
N

NDplayer

Reaction score
Hey does anyone know, I have seen some conflicting advice. When do the cam swap do you need to drain the oil or can you just not take the oil pan off while removing the front cover????

caseypayne69

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
Foster98GT said:
Thats one way to look at it....these 4.6's are barely broken in at 100k...i would have no problem if i was you adding a PI head/cam/intake swap.

You got a long ways to go then, my car has 220k milies on it and still running.

OP
OP
N

NDplayer

Reaction score
So yeah, if anyone has a 96 mustang everything you have heard about a PI intake swap is a falacy. We have some kind of pipe sticking out of our engine block right behing the water pump that inhibits the use of the 99 up coolant hose. So what that means is that you have to fabricate your own solution. Aka cut the little pipe use other forms of tubbing and be on your way. Well just thought I would share as apparently no one else has ever encountered this problem. It is a pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had the same thing, I'd have though they would have addressed that since I did mine 4 years ago.
The heater core tube is a little different.

I cut the tube down, and clamped a rubber hose there. it never leaked on me :)

tubelong-web.jpg

tubecuthose-web.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online