Considering pi swap

Motojoe

Reaction score
I came across some heads on Craigslist for a good buy. I know I need the manifold and gaskets and other lines/hoses. My question is, how necessary is a tune and what hand held tuner works best to load a tune. On all my other cars a tune was done to the oem computer so this is new to me. Sct seems popular. I would need a tuner then a shop to dyno tune and create file to load on the cars computer with the sct. Thanks guys.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
From what I've read, tune isn't required only running mid grade or premium gas to keep it from pinging. I'm going to have mine tuned afterwards because I want it to be completely "right"..

kvoriley

Reaction score
I came across some heads on Craigslist for a good buy. I know I need the manifold and gaskets and other lines/hoses. My question is, how necessary is a tune and what hand held tuner works best to load a tune. On all my other cars a tune was done to the oem computer so this is new to me. Sct seems popular. I would need a tuner then a shop to dyno tune and create file to load on the cars computer with the sct. Thanks guys.

You don't really have to have a tune with a pi swap. It's definitely recommended if you want to squeeze all you can out of your swap. Hell I'm even driving a PI motor swap with comp 270s in my 97 gt and it runs okay lol. Just doesn't like to idle. I will have it dyno tuned next week though I'm using sct x3, it was free.

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
So can I get all my stupid questions out of the way, isn't that what forums are for. Lol

Is it easier to do it with the motor in the car or does it pay to pull it out and work comfortably?
do all the head studs need to be replaced?
will my original exhust manifolds line up or do I need 99+? And would bbk shorties make much difference in power. I'm trying to keep the car oem quiet. I leave for work at 5 am and have a newborn home.

And lastly what can I expect. My buddy has a 97 cobra and it feels like a rocket compared to my npi gt. I know that's 305 hp but will it feel closer to that. I don't want to go through with this and not feel much. To be honest I'm expecting 60 more hp to feel night and day.

Thanks for for the patience guys. And if anyone knows a good shop in the tri state area please let me
know.

kvoriley

Reaction score
So can I get all my stupid questions out of the way, isn't that what forums are for. Lol

Is it easier to do it with the motor in the car or does it pay to pull it out and work comfortably?
will my original exhust manifolds line up or do I need 99+? And would bbk shorties make much difference in power. I'm trying to keep the car oem quiet. I leave for work at 5 am and have a newborn home.

And lastly what can I expect. My buddy has a 97 cobra and it feels like a rocket compared to my npi gt. I know that's 305 hp but will it feel closer to that. I don't want to go through with this and not feel much. To be honest I'm expecting 60 more hp to feel night and day.

Thanks for for the patience guys. And if anyone knows a good shop in the tri state area please let me
know.

I have never done work to the engine with it in the car, but I hear it is a huge pain in the ass. And yes the head bolts need to be replaced they are stretch bolts. I think summit has a really good deal on a ford racing head gasket set that comes with head bolts for like 109 bucks, which is an awesome deal.
Your original manifolds will bolt right up. Bbk shorties are a waste of money. Unless you got them for next to nothing or free don't bother.
I have a pi motor with comp 270s and I feel a huge difference even untuned, but I also haven't really been able to get on it really because it isn't tuned.
you should feel a pretty decent power gain.

also, there is a really good write up on everything you need for a pi swap if you google search. Tri state as in Evansville Indiana area?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Engine out definitely!! Be sure to look over the sparkplug threads to be sure theyre there. The pi heads only have 4 threads to hold the sparkplugs in and usually get stripped out from over torqueing. Do yourself a favor and get the pistons valve reliefed so you can run them big cams comfortably. Go ahead and deck the block .015" and the heads .015" too. No sence in keeping low compression with overlap cams.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I swapped my heads in the car, it was a PITA but most do it that way.

If you don't buy the Ford head changing kit buy some rubber hose to put around the head bolts in the back so you can lift up the head.

There are actually several how to's and videos floating around.

kenny150r

Reaction score
I'll second and third what everyone here is saying just completed mine with the engine in and wished I pulled it out... Such a pain working with it in there. Swap cams too!! In my opinion way to much work to just keep the stock cams in there!

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I'll reply, since I have actually been in your situation so my answer is right, not just "educated guessing"

Tune is not required, but good. The two changes between NPI and PI heads will be: 1) Airflow 2) Compression.
Airflow is metered by the engine so it will tune itself.
Compression means that you just need to run premium-grade gas

I pulled the whole motor. It's not hard to take out and gives you a lot of extra space, and lets you change gaskets, paint block, clean things, etc.
Here's mine when I did it.

9054429228_2d65d0b00e_b.jpg

Yes, you will get new head bolts in your head gasket kit. You can either use those or replace with head studs. With the type of power you'll be making from just a pi swap, there's no reason you *need* head studs, though they are nice

will my original exhust manifolds line up or do I need 99+?
Yes your originals will work
And would bbk shorties make much difference in power. I'm trying to keep the car oem quiet. I leave for work at 5 am and have a newborn home.
Havent used them personally, but not much difference from what I've heard. Placebo gains, maybe

Won't be as fast as the 4v, but it will be MUCH different. IE I consider an NPI gt as a car with barely any power. A PI headswapped has a good amount of power. I can also tell a big difference between a PI motor and a PI headswapped NPI motor (96 motor w/ 01 heads made more power than 01 motor w/ bullitt intake, esp in higher rpms)

know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online