Control arm replacement...

familytruckster

Reaction score
I've been searching around trying to get some info on the cobra arms. Anyone know if the aftermarkets are the correct arms? I looked on Rockauto and the 03/04 arm they list is Motorcraft YR3Z3079B YR3Z3078B for $130/ea. And it's the same application for the GT, the V6 has a different listing though.

The pictures look correct, compared to what is on a few other sites.

OP
OP
F

familytruckster

Reaction score
Yeah, that and the low friction ball joints on the 03/04. All of the aftermarket, including Ford list the same arm for all 94-04 cars now.

OP
OP
F

familytruckster

Reaction score
UPDATE!

Bought the 96+ GT motorcraft replacements. The geometry is probably the same as the cobra. The ball joint is moved forward quite a bit and out. The car no longer rubs the wheels on tight turns. The issue/benefit is the caster is a bit high (because of the ball joint moving forward) and caused some nasty bump steer. The minimum caster the shop was able to get was 4.8*/5* with the MM CC plates.

RichV

Reaction score
That's OK, caster is good.

Still having a tough time seeing your new CAs having a different ball joint position. Are they a completely different design than OEM? I have offset del-alum bushings in my 94 to get more caster, but stock CA from a 2000 IIRC.

OP
OP
F

familytruckster

Reaction score
I never said it was a bad thing. It's very good to have more on the mac strut for camber gain. It just made the bumpsteer worse, the car drives like shit.

Most stuff I read mentioned the arms were longer, and the geometry is different. The 96+ spindles are quite different too (mainly the tie rod mounting point). When I had the arms side by side they looked a bit different. I didn't take pics though. It's also possible that my stock arms and bushings were deformed. Some moron took a sawzall to the bushing shells on the one side, hence the reason I didn't bother with installing new ball joints in the old arms. The car has also been in an accident at some point.

The arms are Motorcraft 96+ mustang replacements from Rock Auto.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online