convert 5 speed manual to automatic

Lazerred98

Reaction score
So, I am sure the first thing you will ask is why? Well I will try to make a long story shorter. I bought this 04 GT, just the first week/ of January 2023. Beautiful show winning type car, with only 32K miles on it. Then fell, and literaly broke my neck an/d damaged 'my spinal cord. So,now my legs don't work so good. I think I could manage an automatic, and need to know what I need to buy to convert it>. PS,Itraded in my laser red 98

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Man, I’m sorry to hear that. There may be some pieces I miss, but for the most part you’ll need:

Flexplate
Engine spacer plate
Transmission (complete with converter, dipstick, cooler lines, and cooler)
Crossmember
Driveshaft
Shifter assembly with cable
Pedal box
Driveshaft (or swap the yoke on yours)
Wire harness
And automatic ecu
Then a custom tune to finish it all off.

badass98svt

Reaction score
That sounds about right. I've looked into this in the past. I'm a manual guy normally but turbos love autos. When the time comes and my T45 shits the bed (again) I may go auto. Probably not though

Slice

Reaction score
I would look into swapping or trading the car in. That's a lot of work and there are certainly a lot of guys that covet manual transmission Mustangs.

OP
OP
L

Lazerred98

Reaction score
I am. certainly considering that, but trying to find another car that is as nice, and as low mileage as this one is really hard. and when I do see one, and the price they want for them, I can spend a lot of money on mine and still be OK.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
It’s really not that bad. I swapped my car from stock auto to t45, then back to 4r70, then back to t45, and now to 6r80. It’s not bad, just depends how much work you want to do.

lutter94

Reaction score
Post up in your area that you're looking to auto swap. Could take two cars in, and swap the appropiate parts between them. Would be a cakewalk with them side by side.....Sorry to hear about your bad luck, hopefully it heals some over time!!!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I have a 97 automatic gt on jack stands in my shop located central Ky. The engine is trash but the trans is good. Ill let it go cheap cheap!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online