Convertible top and quarter window seals

Snorky

Reaction score
Morning everyone,

So u bought a 1994 gt convertible and am now disassembling and going through this thing to assess things that should be fixed or replaced. The top was replaced at one point with a 2 piece with a plastic window. I am not sure if it has all of its clips or the seals are right, to me they look wrong. For example. The gaps at the bottom rear of the quarter windows20221020_205203.jpg
20221020_205246.jpg
20221020_210830.jpg

Anyone have any pictures or know where I can find a blueprint or a video of how this actually goes together? Also can the little mock headliner on a vert be replaced itself.. it has a 6" dusty brown stripe by the windshield.
20221020_214205.jpg

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Common SN95 problems. Usually when they're that bad, they just need replacing and they're not expensive.

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
Common SN95 problems. Usually when they're that bad, they just need replacing and they're not expensive.
Whole seal kit? Or the whole seal kit and top? Or just the headliner and seal kit. My first convertible. I can take a coupe apart with my eyes closed. This is very foreign to me LOL

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Usually you just replace everything simply because they go a very long time between replacements and the condition of it shows after about 10 years, really depending on what it's exposed to. If it's sun-beaten for most of its life, then just replace everything. Or it could just be all original stuff and still beaten down and falling apart. It's really up to the owner.

WHen I replaced all my stuff some years ago, it was seals, pads, top, rear glass, pretty much everything.

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
I had my hood replaced a couple of years ago and I've got the small gaps at the bottom too - not as bad as yours but still there slightly.

Doesn't seem to let water in and supposedly there is a drainage route there so it may not be an issue.

IMG_20221022_101156356_HDR.jpg

Not sure if that shows it clearly or not...

Note I did put some extra "padding" on the rubber bit towards the bottom just to make the seal a bit tighter.

If anyone has any better info I bow to their knowledge though

TMW

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
Usually you just replace everything simply because they go a very long time between replacements and the condition of it shows after about 10 years, really depending on what it's exposed to. If it's sun-beaten for most of its life, then just replace everything. Or it could just be all original stuff and still beaten down and falling apart. It's really up to the owner.

WHen I replaced all my stuff some years ago, it was seals, pads, top, rear glass, pretty much everything.
I see what you mean, yeah this top doesn't look original and the seals and everything arent dry rotted or anything. Just from my inexperienced convertible perspective looks incomplete. Did you replace your top with a one piece or a two piece? Any recommended brand? Glass or plastic window?

I had my hood replaced a couple of years ago and I've got the small gaps at the bottom too - not as bad as yours but still there slightly.

Doesn't seem to let water in and supposedly there is a drainage route there so it may not be an issue.

View attachment 20925

Not sure if that shows it clearly or not...

Note I did put some extra "padding" on the rubber bit towards the bottom just to make the seal a bit tighter.

If anyone has any better info I bow to their knowledge though

TMW

Any info is better than no info,apl I can seem to find online are diy videos on changing tops never the components or idiosyncracies on top fitment. Wonder where the drainage route is located. Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

The top looks in decent shape, plastic window could use a little plastic polish which I ordered.

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Oh and I went for a one piece with plastic rear window - less chance of leaks and splits.

TMW

BHernandez

Reaction score
Morning everyone,

So u bought a 1994 gt convertible and am now disassembling and going through this thing to assess things that should be fixed or replaced. The top was replaced at one point with a 2 piece with a plastic window. I am not sure if it has all of its clips or the seals are right, to me they look wrong. For example. The gaps at the bottom rear of the quarter windowsView attachment 20920
View attachment 20921
View attachment 20922

Anyone have any pictures or know where I can find a blueprint or a video of how this actually goes together? Also can the little mock headliner on a vert be replaced itself.. it has a 6" dusty brown stripe by the windshield.
View attachment 20923
You are missing some gaskets and it looks as if the sail tensioners are not connected properly. Trust me when I tell you: THIS IS NOT A DIY PROJECT! I have a 98 convertible, 3 tops since new. Had to sue 2 trim shops because the messed it up so badly. Find the best shop in your area. Ask for references on past SN95's. If it checks out, pay the man. New top, rear window and all seals should be between $1800-$2K. And worth every penny no to deal with.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Kee or Robins brand tops are the best. Others, can't say.

You can try your hand at replacing yourself and I do have a vid on DVD from a production called "This Old Car" and they go through everything. It's more of a 'dark art' replacing the top because it has to be precise and very tight fitting to get it like factory. It can be difficult and it's not something a newbie should try.

BHernandez

Reaction score
I use Robin's tops. I tried Best Top once and didn't care for the appearance or fit. I've heard horrible things about EZ Tops. I'd recommend staying away from them. LMR has a nice seal kit reasonably priced but it doesn't include the header seal. The header seal is impossible to find. I ended up using one for an '04. It fit the frame pretty well. Be careful with the rear quarter windows. They have a tendency to come unglued from the frame and fall down the quarter panel.

Monday

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem with my top regarding 'tan lines'. The handles were never closed.

BHernandez

Reaction score
Mine came with glass and defrost. It's really handy, especially in winter. However, if you don't have factory rear defrost, there's really no reason to pay extra for the glass other than appearance.

Monday

Reaction score
A couple years ago, I paid just over 250$ from BESTOP or BESTTOP - can't remember how it's spelled.

Those gaps are about the same as mine. Mine are maybe a little tighter. No problems though, as it all goes down the drain anyway.
If you get water in the little boot thingy under the widow, you got problems. Before I put the new top on, any rain would get in the car in the back and fill the boot thingy. My solution was 'Gorilla Tape' - for months I used it.

(drain = channels)

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
I think I paid about $250 for the top as well - eBay seller. $75 shipping to the UK, then £400 fitting from a guy who had done an SN95 before.

Cheapest I could find to source and fit over here was something like £900 so I saved well.

My old top used to leak around the bottom of the window - 2-peice hood - and no matter what I did it kept leaking and the boot thingy would be full of water every time it rained. I put a black towel in there in the end to catch it and then swapped it out each time we had a downpour for another one.

The one piece has never leaked in the window area at all and it's just working well. Can't recommend it enough. Do I miss the glass heated window? Not really and I've gone through 2 British winters without it now.

TMW

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
I think I paid about $250 for the top as well - eBay seller. $75 shipping to the UK, then £400 fitting from a guy who had done an SN95 before.

Cheapest I could find to source and fit over here was something like £900 so I saved well.

My old top used to leak around the bottom of the window - 2-peice hood - and no matter what I did it kept leaking and the boot thingy would be full of water every time it rained. I put a black towel in there in the end to catch it and then swapped it out each time we had a downpour for another one.

The one piece has never leaked in the window area at all and it's just working well. Can't recommend it enough. Do I miss the glass heated window? Not really and I've gone through 2 British winters without it now.

TMW
What is this booty thannnng? Lol couldn't help myself

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
A Lot of really great information here, I'm not afraid to roll up my sleeves and try a top at some point. Need to plan this out methodically.

Can any of you snap some pictures of the seals around the windows so I can compare them with mine?

Trying my hardest not to shotgun and rotisserie everything

BHernandez

Reaction score
That's what they look like. They don't come in the seal kit. You can order them from Steele Rubber Products. They're not expensive and they're easy to put in. Make sure your weep holes are all clear, in the top boot and the quarters. Clogged weeps are the number 1 cause of wet carpet in the back floor boards. But seriously, the sail panel tensioners are a bitch for professionals. I really don't recommend a newby attempting to install them. You might break more than you save.

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
A Lot of really great information here, I'm not afraid to roll up my sleeves and try a top at some point. Need to plan this out methodically.

Can any of you snap some pictures of the seals around the windows so I can compare them with mine?

Trying my hardest not to shotgun and rotisserie everything
I did a top change once on a Rover 216. Took me 24 hours split over 2 days and I vowed to never do it again.

Amazing feeling of satisfaction when done but it was so complex a job, no, I'd pay someone else every time moving forward, as I did with the SN95...

TMW

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010