Convertible top Car Audio subwoofer enclosure

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Has anyone ever stuffed a sub under the rear seat?
There is a far amount of room in there, but I'm not really sure if there is enough for a 10" under each side.

There is barely enough space under the rear seat for the random lost french fry or spare change so fitting a sub with the seat there is not an option. All kinds of space if you pull the seat out.

Yes you can have ok bass output with the top down but if you start to move anything at speed, sorry box design can't do anything there.

Anchor-Room

Reaction score
Id like to see your set up anchor. I meant mount the sub to the rear seat delete or something similar that is bolted down. Sorry I figured people on here would have common sense enough to do that.

Here is the majority of the setup in the vert:
Seperates installed in the stock vert Speaker boxes:
IMG_8886

At one time we contemplated adding a seperate JL 1000/1 for just the sub, we decided against it since I don't think the sub would have survived:
IMG_8898

Since the original JL 'Stealth' box was not meant to fit into a vert - we modified it:
Before the carnage (you can see the line where we cut)
IMG_8903

During
IMG_8906

IMG_8910

IMG_8911

IMG_8916

IMG_8924

IMG_8925

IMG_8951

Mounting the Amp:
IMG_8931

IMG_8937

IMG_8943

spim

Reaction score
We have a JL audio setup, the hidden enclosure with a 10" and love the sound and it barely takes up any space. Top down or up we can hear the bass just fine. Coupled with separates for the front and rear made by MB Quart, signal by a Sony head unit with built in hard drive and driven by JL Audio 500/5 amp.

The sub box is a sealed unit stuffed. I am sure it is no show winner. But the sound is loud and crystal clear.....

I would also like to see your setup anchor !!! I have my sub (JL W6) in hand, and deciding soon on whether to bypass and replace factory amp and speakers all together. I need to now upgrade my alpine 450 mono to maybe a 1k mono or a multi channel amp and upgrade HU to 3 out's vs the current 1 on my Head Unit.

in the long run i think bypassing the factory amps and speakers all together is probably the way I want to go, and replace 17 yr old technology with today's.

Its a bit of an expensive proposition but the SQ in my old lexus es300 was SO DAM Good with just simply a HU upgrade and a 10" bazooka, the quality sound was one of the reason's the car sold so fast. With that said, I really miss the quality output and i've resigned myself to the fact that attempting to replace that in a vert isn't going to be nearly as simple, or cheap.

what choices have any of you made in replacements inside the cabin, not just speakers but the amp as well.

Anchor-Room

Reaction score
I would also like to see your setup anchor !!! I have my sub (JL W6) in hand, and deciding soon on whether to bypass and replace factory amp and speakers all together. I need to now upgrade my alpine 450 mono to maybe a 1k mono or a multi channel amp and upgrade HU to 3 out's vs the current 1 on my Head Unit.

in the long run i think bypassing the factory amps and speakers all together is probably the way I want to go, and replace 17 yr old technology with today's.

Its a bit of an expensive proposition but the SQ in my old lexus es300 was SO DAM Good with just simply a HU upgrade and a 10" bazooka, the quality sound was one of the reason's the car sold so fast. With that said, I really miss the quality output and i've resigned myself to the fact that attempting to replace that in a vert isn't going to be nearly as simple, or cheap.

what choices have any of you made in replacements inside the cabin, not just speakers but the amp as well.

Pictures above are mine.... Sony head unit (that we are replacing) to JL audio 500/5 amp driving MB quart separates up front as well as in the rear....

spim

Reaction score
great post anchor ! It sure makes me think again !
now I might be heading back to square 1 :)
thanks for putting that up.

if nothing else we planned on having it tucked in the same corner and try to have it as clean as possible, but that's a very clean install :)
i'm assuming you kept the spare tire, and maybe moved the jack out of the way so you'd have room for the amp ?

Anchor-Room

Reaction score
great post anchor ! It sure makes me think again !
now I might be heading back to square 1 :)
thanks for putting that up.

if nothing else we planned on having it tucked in the same corner and try to have it as clean as possible, but that's a very clean install :)
i'm assuming you kept the spare tire, and maybe moved the jack out of the way so you'd have room for the amp ?

Thank you! I am amazed how good it sounds, how hard it hits, everyone that comments on it that I tell them that it is a single ten does not believe it.......

There is no spare present - we built a + frame, mounted a CAP - if we get a flat for whatever reason, I would rather just have the car towed......

The amp is actually mounted from the diagonal piece towards the front of the trunk, the piece that hides your top when it is down....here are some more pictures:

Spare Tire well during wiring.
IMG_8942

Amp and Sub location
IMG_8950

spim

Reaction score
hmmm, my 94 doesn't have that diagonal piece :(

seems like there was no reason to remove your spare then, unless i'm missing something
emoticon-question.jpg

Anchor-Room

Reaction score
Your not missing anything, but there is no need for a spare in the car since it will never go on the car......we use the space as a storage compartment for the CAP and other automotive related stuff....

Since you are missing the diagonal piece I would mount it under the rear seat perhaps? Enough room for it to fit, and breathe.......

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
with as useless as a cap it, removing the spare completely seems a but funny. Don't get me wrong I do not have mine in there either but I have two amps mounted there and they serve a much better purpose then a cap.

Did you brace that piece at all? With as solid as jl amps are I am suprised it holds it up, or will continue too.

Anchor-Room

Reaction score
The rear piece is reinforced with backing plates and fiberglass you could stand on it without issues....

spim

Reaction score
lol, dam, nobody keeps a spare these days !
i'll admit , its a cheezy azz spare to begin with, but i'm still not convinced that a can of fix o flat and a AAA membership is the answer :) especially if the wife or kid are in the car, i'd like it to be there.

my plan was to make a very slight modification to the board covering the spare so that it could be lifted out rather easily, and if I dump the factory amps, (most likely) i can put the amp(s) right where they were.

Nicolas51

Reaction score
We have a JL audio setup, the hidden enclosure with a 10" and love the sound and it barely takes up any space. Top down or up we can hear the bass just fine. Coupled with separates for the front and rear made by MB Quart, signal by a Sony head unit with built in hard drive and driven by JL Audio 500/5 amp.

The sub box is a sealed unit stuffed. I am sure it is no show winner. But the sound is loud and crystal clear.....
@Anchor-Room are you happy with your JL Audio subwoofer? Would you recommend it?

Sorry for being off topic. I'm looking for a good sub for my ride and can't wrap my head around which would suit me best.

Do I need to spend over $1000 to get some decent sound? I've been reading the reviews all over the internet and I didn't get closer to finding a solution. Plus most reviews are hype. Blatant copy of manufacturer's features that's it. Now I've found a different site which writes more on our language. Still there are 10 subs on the page and it's hard to choose. This best JL audio subwooder post is different. What I loved about the reviews were that he highlights many negatives. Best of all they are not watered down.

What are the most important things when you're looking for a sub? Any tips?

Overboost

Reaction score
I guess no one reads the post date of the thread they are replying to..
I have seen threads that have been dead for 10 become top talk when someone revives it.. most of the time, it becomes another dead end...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online